Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

buying a new bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a new bike

im going to buy my first street bike soon, i used to ride dirtbikes about 10years ago. im going to get a 08 1000rr. do you think ill have any problems adjusting to a streebike from a dirtbike background?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Default Re: buying a new bike (budlight)

Really don't think you'll have any problems at all. good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: buying a new bike (that one guy)

Every rider should take the MSF. For the sake of yourself, definitely don't get a liter bike as your first street bike.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a new bike (LAS2K)

why not a liter bike? i think i have enough control to not crank the throttle back and crash it. i just plan to feather it and go really slow
Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 PM

if you are going to go slow and feather it then why even get a liter. ill give it to you that you arnt some stupid 16 year old kid who just wants something to look cool, im sure with your riding experience you have a good head on your shoulders. the problem is you rode dirt (completely different weight of bike, traction and riding style) and that was 10 years ago. Why not start on something a little smaller just to make sure your muscles remember how to ride. i say better to be safe than sorry. because you have ridden before, ill bet you wont make any of the beginner mistakes like dropping the bike at a stop or forgetting to put the kickstand out, but if you look at the new 600 super sports, im convinced you will find something plenty fast for when you get used to street riding.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a new bike (that one guy)

i just like the idea of driving a really fast machine really show. and i absolutely agree with what you said, and i guess im just stubborn and set on buying a 1000. also i dont want to have to upgrade later down the road. but im not saying i can ride a 600 to its potential.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF man. Go buy a smaller bike. Sounds like you're buying a literbike for the same reason some guys buy huge lifted pre-run trucks...just cuz they can.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Re: buying a new bike (Quiks66)

The best riders I know started on dirt, but know it's not the same. The worst riders I know started on a 1000, and think they are in control.

Here's a little perspective story I want to share. I have a friend who started riding when he was 8, was on 125s at 10 y/o, by 15 he was a juniors instructor, and by 17 he was in charge of a small juniors dirt school (the same one he learned at).

When he turned 20 he bought his own street bike, and 7 months later dumped it on the way to the grocery store, and had to have a couple surgeries to relocate most of the bones in his lower arm (that wasn't the first time he had gone down, either). He wasn't doing anything stupid or silly, he just got caught out by a tar snake and lost the front. He rode a ninja 250. Now, if this guy, with 12 years of dirt experience and instruction, dumped a 250, why should you think that you can handle a liter bike right off the bat?

Ok, sorry, off the soapbox...

Good luck, don't die.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a new bike (solbrothers)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by solbrothers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unless you spend a majority of your time over 150mph, or are 400lbs, you dont need a liter bike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who needs a race-replica for a street bike?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to buy my first street bike soon, i used to ride dirtbikes about 10years ago. im going to get a 08 1000rr. do you think ill have any problems adjusting to a streebike from a dirtbike background?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just sold my 04 ZX6R (aka 636) and bought the 08 1000rr when they came out. Let me say its tooooo much bike for you. If you are not going to ride it like a 1000 then dont buy a 1000. Trust me a modern 600 will get you well over 160 with ease. If your just looking to get puss by an R6. Everyone seems to cream over those bikes for some reason.

Even an older 1000 is bad news because they actually made a ton more torque back then and can make traction an issue with gear change burn outs and loose gravel turns into a more intense and problematic situation.

RE Learn on something small then get the 08 if you feel you need it. Hell buy and old 70's 500 for 200-300 bucks and ride that for a while and when your skills are once again razer sharp look into 1000cc+ bikes.

Not saying you cant ride at all so dont get mad.. Just know quite a few people that are more or less unable to ever walk again due to poor choices. (aka I will start with a 1000... its all the rider not the bike nonsense)

Start small and get ALL !!!! the top of the line gear you can afford.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi!

P robably a good idea to try riding a used bike to see if you like it or not.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im going to buy my first street bike soon, i used to ride dirtbikes about 10years ago. im going to get a 08 1000rr. do you think ill have any problems adjusting to a streebike from a dirtbike background?</TD></TR></TABLE>
You likely won't have many problems adjusting, but you may have trouble with overconfidence.

As mentioned, it's absolutely pointless and wasteful for you to buy a 1000 race replica, but you're obviously set on doing it no matter how much good advice you have to ignore. That's okay. If you live long enough to mature, you'll find that no amount of self-reassurance that you can handle it will make it true. Hopefully you won't ruin some other innocent person's life in learning your lesson the hard way.

Just keep in mind that crashing on tarmac at 60mph is a LOT different from crashing on dirt at 25mph. A lot. Especially when you're likely to get rammed or run over by clueless automobile drivers who don't see or care that you're there.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a new bike (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You likely won't have many problems adjusting, but you may have trouble with overconfidence.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a thing very common with ex dirt riders when they get their street bikes. I have known some guys that rode dirt since they where little kids, and when they got 18-20 years old, they went out and bought brand new 600's...

And they all binned them because they thought they already knew how to ride aggressively.

No matter how wicked a 2T MX or enduro racer could be...it doesn't match the subtle fury of a modern liter.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll get the 1000 and regret it. and if you don't, it's because you're just killin freeways with it and making |_| shaped tires.

safety aside, having fun on a 1000 takes a lot of skill--skill that may be helped by dirt experience, but also requires street experience. I think i'm a pretty good rider, and I know i'm not ready to ride a 1000 in anger, yet. I don't have the finesse, I don't have the strength (i'm not tiny), and I don't have the will. Maybe you will have those things (and you very well can w/ dirt xp as it's a great tool) down the road--but you won't get them by starting out on a 1000.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

Alright...forget what these guys are saying and listen to me.

I've riden the 08' 1000rr and its a fantastic machine...a HUGE improvement from the old body style. Power is great and handling is feather light.
I would also NEVER recommend starting with a 1000 on the basis that even though you have a lot of experience in riding dirt (which don't get me wrong, that great) but street riding is much more unpredicable and dangerous at times. You say now that you'll be able to keep your speed in a bottle but trust me...its HARD to ride that bike around the posted speed limits, and even easier to crack the throttle and get into a lot of trouble fast. Take the MSF class, get ALL the gear (BOOTS are a must!) and practice being extremely careful and alert of everything that's going on around you.
Street bikes are obviously dangerous, but often times guys underestimate how easy it is to get into a very bad situation FAST....sometimes literally. Just be responsible, keep the acceleration at a level you're comfortable with, and you should be ok.....I hope

I personally owned a 600 before I ungraded to my 1000, and I'm so glad I did that. New 1000s these days are insane.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
slm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just like the idea of driving a really fast machine really show. and i absolutely agree with what you said, and i guess im just stubborn and set on buying a 1000. also i dont want to have to upgrade later down the road. but im not saying i can ride a 600 to its potential.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what are you doing asking us? If you want it buy it. Simple as that.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.Chow)

so the last time you've ridden a motorcycle was 10 years ago..... and you want to start on a literbike.... dude I rode dirtbikes while I started riding street, then I got my sv650 and I wrecked after owning it for a year, and I never stopped riding. Let me tell you minus knowing how to work a clutch and use your right hand for a brake it is a completely different world.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Re: (Mr.Chow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.Chow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright...forget what these guys are saying and listen to me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I'm pretty sure you reiterated what has already been said.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i think going to buy and older 400 or 600 until i move back to the states. probly better to get the rust off on an old beater. a few years ago i bought a kawa 400 LTD for getting around, and the first day i had it, i took it offroading a little bit on accident and damaged the clutch. i cant imagine what would of happened had it been on a bigger bike like the 08 1000 rr
Old 10-19-2008, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but if i can find a 07 600rr for cheap im going to buy it
Old 10-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (budlight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just like the idea of driving a really fast machine really show </TD></TR></TABLE>
i'd have more respect for a guy that can ride a small bike fast than one who rides a massive race rep superbike bike slow (or show, however you put it)
maybe other, even cheaper models may suit you like Kawa Z1000, Honda CB1000 or even the Yamaha V-MAX

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> few years ago i bought a kawa 400 LTD for getting around, and the first day i had it, i took it offroading a little bit on accident and damaged the clutch. i cant imagine what would of happened had it been on a bigger bike like the 08 1000 rr</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'd say dont buy a 08 CBR1000RR
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (budlight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by budlight &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but if i can find a 07 600rr for cheap im going to buy it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also rode MX bikes for about 10 years before switching to the street and this was my first bike. I haven't had a single actual problem, but I've had a lot of close calls. I've noticed that experience makes the biggest difference when it comes to knowing when and where its ok to goof around/speed/break other laws.

Its IMPOSSIBLE not to speed on a modern sport bike. The thing is just wayyy too fast. I think this is where MX people pay the biggest price. after years of riding with no speed limits on the track and trails, its like a natural instinct to crank the throttle whenever you have a clear path to do so.

If your intent on getting a modern bike just stick with a 600 because its more than fast enough and if you think you'll want to upgrade soon buy a 600 from a few years ago because you wont take very much loss on something like a 03 600RR that already has 25000 miles on it if you decide to sell it a year down the road