Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM
0861 OORAH!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Jasper_db1)

I just bought the 2008 Ninja ZX6R
Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (Lude-Conduct)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lude-Conduct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought the 2008 Ninja ZX6R</TD></TR></TABLE>

congrats? not sure how that is relevant to the op question seeing as how you didnt even mention how you like it or how it would be as a first bike.

to the op. hi, im another sv nut swinger , here to share how the sv has changed my life, much like jesus has changed other ppl's lives. basically the sv is the safest bike that you wont be tired of after a year or two of riding it like some say they do with a 250 or 500. if you've been riding it for a while and think you need more, you have the option of upgrading just about anything and everything on the bike to make it exactly what you want for just a few hundred dollars as opposed to throwing 5K + for a new bike. this also means that the bike will be able to grow with you. after you've been riding it for a while and decide that the brakes aren't what you want or the suspension is too mushy for the riding you are doing, bump it up and get some used gsxr parts. or maybe you'll want a lil more oomf, new rear sprocket and a power comander will do just fine. lastly, regardless of what these guys say or how shallow it may seem, everyone wants a bike that looks good, may not be the top of everyone's priority but come on, there is a thread on here where people post their favorite bike based on looks alone. so if you dont like the naked look, just ride it for a while until you get all of your beginner "oops" drops out of the way, then fit some gsxr lights and fairings to it like ive seen many people do. there are plenty of great starter bikes out there, but i think the sv650 in naked or s form is a great beginner, intermediate and pro's bike. plus i agree w/ all the stuff redblcksv said about beginning riders and throttle and yata yata.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lude-Conduct)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lude-Conduct &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought the 2008 Ninja ZX6R</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are the tranny on those as bad as the 05-06?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi!

Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (stevew84)

The Sv650 is starting to really grow on me...since I"m still a noob in this scene.

The only bike I would <U>never</U> get is the Suzuki Hayabusa...mainly because it's disgustingly horrid looking....the dual exhaust makes it look way too fat...like it already is.

Taking the MSF course VERY SOON..and will begin to get into the market.

For the time being, I am gathering as much information as I can before I venture off onto the roads and dodging the crazy drivers.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (Numba1 B Series)

Don't worry about how it looks.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:43 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (stevew84)

Since you are such a big fan of how the Gixxers look, maybe you should see if you can find a used GSX650F.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (rochesterricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you are such a big fan of how the Gixxers look, maybe you should see if you can find a used GSX650F.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm i think i would much rather have an sv over that. they look deformed slightly..
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi!

Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't worry about how it looks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if I'm dropping money on a bike...The looks better be on my list.

Money doesn't grow on trees...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (Numba1 B Series)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Numba1 B Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well if I'm dropping money on a bike...The looks better be on my list.

Money doesn't grow on trees... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Highlighted the key words
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (AdeJong 03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdeJong 03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hmm i think i would much rather have an sv over that. they look deformed slightly..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would as well, but I don't like the way Gixxers look to begin with, so its a moo point
Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Banned

i will take a peek at the gsx650f i've seen them but never really paid too much attention to it. its funny cuz when i was leaving work yesterday i saw a new sv650 naked...it was horrible...sorry to say but naked bikes just dont do it for me. i will spend a lil extra and get some fairings and put em on. make the bike a lil wider and better looking overall in my opinion. its not shallow cuz i do want a bike that has good response as well as braking.

dont know if a lot of people realize this, but the gsxr series is one of the few bikes that have 2 rear brake pistons, most Honda and Yamaha street bikes only have 1. i'de prefer the dual since im a beginner.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM
thk
Members Only

Default Re: (stevew84)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevew84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]dont know if a lot of people realize this, but the gsxr series is one of the few bikes that have 2 rear brake pistons, most Honda and Yamaha street bikes only have 1. i'de prefer the dual since im a beginner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This matters because ... ? Better pad wear? Errr?

You do realize that the front brakes are more important than rears, right?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevew84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
dont know if a lot of people realize this, but the gsxr series is one of the few bikes that have 2 rear brake pistons, most Honda and Yamaha street bikes only have 1. i'de prefer the dual since im a beginner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont use the rear brake, period. you dont need it unless you really really really need to stop. Never used it on the sv and used it once so far on the rc in an emergency situation

Also, that might increase your chances of locking your rear brake, which many riders will tell you is very easy.

More isnt always better
Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
slm

Default Re: (AdeJong 03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdeJong 03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont use the rear brake, period. you dont need it unless you really really really need to stop. Never used it on the sv and used it once so far on the rc in an emergency situation

Also, that might increase your chances of locking your rear brake, which many riders will tell you is very easy.

More isnt always better</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whaaaaaaaatttt! Using the rear brake will not make you flip over over three times and explode into flames. I don't see why you would only use the rear brake in an emergency, without the pratice your more likely to lock it up. I use my rear on the street, lightly. I find I stop quicker. I also use it to help me keep from rolling back starting on hills and covering (so the brake light is on) at stoplights to make myself more visible.

Don't worry about how many pistons the rear brake has though, one is more than enough.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevew84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont know if a lot of people realize this, but the gsxr series is one of the few bikes that have 2 rear brake pistons, most Honda and Yamaha street bikes only have 1. i'de prefer the dual since im a beginner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What did I say? Ignore performance specs damnit.

Ooo a whole 2 pot caliper in the rear? Realize that as a new rider the rear brake is your worst enemy, it tricks you. It says "Hi i can get you out of trouble because im a brake". It takes almost no power to lock the rear wheel which can confuse and suprise a new rider. If you dont know how to handle it, you will crash.

I used to use the rear brake, now i only use it when i need to shed off 3 or 4 mph without using my fronts.

Let me just say this so I have a clear conscience when you go out and buy a gsxr.

SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650 SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650 SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650 SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650SV650

And for the last time, YOU CAN GET FULL FAIRINGS FOR THE SV650.

That will be all
Old 08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (knockout)

^ haha exactly!!! My next bike will be a SV650
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (...rohit)

sv650 and s have different position?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (__oversea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by __oversea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sv650 and s have different position?</TD></TR></TABLE>riding positions? yes, the S has clipons also,

"In addition to the obvious differences between the S and non-S models (with the S-model sprouting a frame-mounted quarter fairing, clip-ons to replace the standard bike's tubular handlebar and more rearset footpegs), the unfaired SV has a slightly longer swingarm and wheelbase, footpegs that are lower and further forward, one-tooth-shorter final gearing and a hair more trail thanks to triple clamps with 1.5mm less offset. Note the new oil cooler on both versions"
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Ditto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike (iLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

/thread </TD></TR></TABLE>

Best beginner bike ever.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AdeJong 03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you just super into sport bikes right now?

The nakeds might grow on you. I had a 2000 sv650 before. Before i got that bike i never ever wanted a naked cuz i thought they were dumb but boy did that bike change my mind

if i were you id get an sv650s and put a chin spoiler on it like rdblcksv650s. That bike is sex on wheels.

Time to ***** my sv

i still miss that damn thing

im gonna get another eventually</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn your sv is (was?) nice! What handle bars are those? They're pure sex. Though, did it make it even harder to ride for trips 2+ hours long? Right now I have straight bars for my sv, they look better than the curved ones that come stock but yours look even better. But it might be my stock mirrors that are very high up. On that note... you didn't even have mirrors, is that legal? Oh and that under-body fairing looks cool, what is it and where did you get it? In fact, do you just have a good few sites where I could look at sv parts? I wish I had spare cash to put goodies like that on my bike.

My advice - get a used sv650. It is quiet, has endless torque and power for a first bike, sporty, fast, used ones are only a few grand, and very forgiving! The sv650s has fairings if you must have them but I like how naked bikes look anyway, plus there are no fairings to brake if you lay the bike down, even at a standstill. Though the sv650 is a light bike and I can proudly say I have not put it down yet and don't plan to (knock on wood).
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CblP s40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CblP s40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn your sv is (was?) nice! What handle bars are those? They're pure sex. Though, did it make it even harder to ride for trips 2+ hours long? Right now I have straight bars for my sv, they look better than the curved ones that come stock but yours look even better. But it might be my stock mirrors that are very high up. On that note... you didn't even have mirrors, is that legal? Oh and that under-body fairing looks cool, what is it and where did you get it? In fact, do you just have a good few sites where I could look at sv parts? I wish I had spare cash to put goodies like that on my bike.

My advice - get a used sv650. It is quiet, has endless torque and power for a first bike, sporty, fast, used ones are only a few grand, and very forgiving! The sv650s has fairings if you must have them but I like how naked bikes look anyway, plus there are no fairings to brake if you lay the bike down, even at a standstill. Though the sv650 is a light bike and I can proudly say I have not put it down yet and don't plan to (knock on wood).</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you very much
i no longer own that bike seeing as i traded it for my rc51 but i miss it a lot.
i actually did a clip on conversion with the bike and it definitely was a lot more uncomfortable than handlebars but i loved how it felt. I had a bar end mirror on there too. Visibility wasnt great but at least it was legal

here is another pic of that set up

the chin spoiler is oem suzuki. Its hard to find but its out there. i got lucky when i found that one brand new in my color

as far as parts go have you checked out svrider.com? thats one of the most informative model specific forums i have been on and i recommend it to any sv owner/rider

thanks for the complements once again
Old 08-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I gotta admit ade, that is a clean sv650
Old 08-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (...rohit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ...rohit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I gotta admit ade, that is a clean sv650 </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks!

too bad i no longer have it, it just needed the gsxr suspension i had for it and a seat cowl and it would have been pretty bad ***
Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi!

thanks!

too bad i no longer have it, it just needed the gsxr suspension i had for it and a seat cowl and it would have been pretty bad ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

So if the Sv650 had the Gsx-R suspension....would it be a completely sport oriented but just heavy?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Numba1 B Series)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Numba1 B Series &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So if the Sv650 had the Gsx-R suspension....would it be a completely sport oriented but just heavy?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The new GSXR600 weighs 16lbs less than the SV650, but the SV650 makes all of its torque weigh earlier. And the way that weight is distributed on vtwins in comparison to inlines is a completely different feel.

I liked the handling on my 480lb RC51 better than my sub 400lb CBR. Now 80 lbs is a big difference. 16 lbs is just bragging rights.

Quick Reply: Beginner Rider Cant Choose Bike