Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (marmaladeboy)

my wife just got her first bike, a ninja 250r. her first lesson has been stopping and going . just learning the clutch on a bike is a pain in the ***.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (jdmotorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmotorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
just learning the clutch on a bike is a pain in the ***.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I think my wrists were sore my first time, not my butt.

Have given any thought to signing your wife for the MSF course?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (falconGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falconGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Countersteering: Above 10mph, push right go right. Push left, go left. It will make sense when you give it a try. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought that it was the opposite like push right go left and push left go right??

If I am wrong, why is it called countersteering?? sounds like regular steering.

Sorry, still a bike NOOB
Old 08-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Vince10984)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vince10984 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought that it was the opposite like push right go left and push left go right??

If I am wrong, why is it called countersteering?? sounds like regular steering.

Sorry, still a bike NOOB</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is the 'gyroscopic effect' yes it is opposite to what you would think. try it on a push bike its the same thing. The input turning motion force makes the wheel flop into the turn when you apply the opposite lock.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Luke)

If you're moving slow or say driving in a car, you steer to the right you go right i.e. the wheel turns to the right. But when you are moving faster on a bike if you steer to the right you go left. Push the left side (steering the wheel to the right) you go left. Push left go left, push right go right.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (marmaladeboy)

her class is in october. they didnt have any free class's till then.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, I think my wrists were sore my first time, not my butt.

Have given any thought to signing your wife for the MSF course?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-11-2003, 02:55 AM

Price question.I was thinking of getting a 2000 F4 by the end of this month.But im unfamiliar with motocycle prices and negotiations.Will the dealer offer warranty in used bikes?How much can i expect to pay for a used F4?If any bike dealer asks lets say,$5000,Than how much lower can i negotiate?Im not sure which magazine was it,but it said that the F4 and Katana 600 are good beginer bikes,this true?Is the F4 one of those bikes that are marked higher than what there worth?Im new in the bike world but i have already passed a 3 day course and got my motorcycle liscence,but ive never driven in the streets.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (UnCaNnYChInO)

Warranties are sometimes offered, but that depends on the dealership (I was offered 3 months/3000 miles). How much lower a dealer is willing to go depends on how quickly s/he wants to get rid of the bike. Some dealerships don't have to worry about selling it quickly, while some others just want to get it off the lot. They'll also be more willing to lower their asking price if you decide to purchase gear through them.

The F4 and Katana are both good choices for 600s. I would suggest the F4, mostly because I'm biased, but also because Honda has a good reputation for reliability. Stylistically, well, neither looks very good at all, but that's up to you to decide.

One important factor should be how well-known and respected the dealership service department is. If you need to bring your bike in for service, then you want to know you're bringing it to a GOOD place. Especially if you're horrible with tools, like I am.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:26 PM

Great post!
Old 08-12-2003, 09:54 AM

tnx marmaladeboy
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 AM
New User

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (UnCaNnYChInO)

Low mileage 99-00 F4's (up to 5K miles) will be around 5-6 grand granted the condition of the body is in good shape and the motor runs strong. In my case, I bought my first bike end of May, it's a 00 F4 with 2,990 miles.(custom paint job silver, shorty blinkers, aftermarket undertail, fendel elim kit & lockhard phill speedscreen). Guy wanted $5,700 for it but talked him down to $4,000. I lucked out because he was in the honda game and I was able to find him a b20 block and itr head cheap for his crvtec set up. I love my bike!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Kalokohan)

thats a nice bike kalokohan.When i get my F4 im also going to custom paint it in one color cuause i dont really like the two tone paint jobs have these days.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im thinking of buying my first bike soon. But i dont have 5 grand to get one thru the dealer. What should i look for when i look at a bike thru the recycler or something. I know to ask if it was dropped or anything but i mean like mechanics, is there anything obvious that i could catch that might be wrong before i buy one? Thanks and this thread answered most of my questions before my first post.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Luserkid)

i think you should find some experienced riders in your area that have ridden a while and like to do their own maintenance and have them check out prospective bikes with you.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (falconGSR)

I've got a question for you all, everyone says that getting their liscense after they got their motorcycle was the biggest mistake they ever made. Why is that? No one ever really explains why so I was just wondering.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (WhiteEJOne)

Yea for your License dont they test you going around the parking lot or something on a bike? So wouldnt you need a bike for the test.?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteEJOne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got a question for you all, everyone says that getting their liscense after they got their motorcycle was the biggest mistake they ever made. Why is that? No one ever really explains why so I was just wondering.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-30-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (WhiteEJOne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteEJOne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got a question for you all, everyone says that getting their liscense after they got their motorcycle was the biggest mistake they ever made. Why is that? No one ever really explains why so I was just wondering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Umm, I don't know why it's bad to get your license AFTER you get your motorcycle. My guess is that you'd be tempted to ride your bike without your license, which is bad if you got pulled over. But if you have the permit, then get the bike, then get the license, then it's all good. Be sure to check your local laws to make sure, though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea for your License dont they test you going around the parking lot or something on a bike? So wouldnt you need a bike for the test.?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you would. You could hold a motorcycle permit and ride a motorcycle. However, I have heard that the DMV motorcycle test is difficult. That's why they offer the MSF class (1-800-CC-RIDER), which has much better instruction and you get to ride their motorcycles. And they administer a final test. If you pass that, you get a certificate/card that you can take to the DMV, and they'll add the motorcycle certification to your driver's license.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:38 AM
New User

Everyone who has taken the DMV parking lot riding test says it's very HARD....and this is on a sportbike, any other bike they said would have been damn near impossible since the spacing on the cones are tiny.

As far as getting the license after the bike, I don't see anything wrong with it. In VA, if you have a permit, you can ride your bike anywhere except for the highways.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Kalokohan)

awesome.. someone finally did it
Old 09-03-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (cyrk007)

take the MSF(MotorcycleSafetyFoundation) course. up to 20% off insurance plus the DMV excepts this as your driving test. If you just bought a new Honda you are automaticly in the Honda Riders Club of America, they will rebate half the cost of the class....very well worth it.
AJ
Old 09-07-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (PFRMotoCRX)

Something else to read in case anyone hasn't seen it...

http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html
Old 09-08-2003, 10:57 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Apocalypse)

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that the state of PA recently took off the law of wearing a helment. Is this true? Why would they do this? Can anyone confirm?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (B18cR-Ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18cR-Ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is true but I heard that the state of PA recently took off the law of wearing a helment. Is this true? Why would they do this? Can anyone confirm?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search is your friend...

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pd...o.pdf
Old 09-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Etylorcen)

Some awesome infomration here.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (NestleCrunch)

man this thread is great. i think its good even for experienced riders to read this, it kinda freshens u up a little bit... always buckle up, always wear ur helmet.

Quick Reply: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike...