Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

2006 My gear/opinions (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 My gear/opinions (lots of pics) *UPDATE*

UPDATE 9-26-06 PAGE 2

I haven't been riding long (since last may), but i've accumulated some gear. It was such a nice day out that after my ride/wash i decided to take pictures of it all and write my opinions on it. So without further ado, the pics:
New Motogp Corkscrew jacket:
Inside

I marked the two inside pockets. One vertical zipper breast pocket, and one pouch style pocket on the bottom inside-right with velcro closure. Both work great and i hardly notice i have stuff in them (wallet, phone ect.). The back pad is a step above foam, but i would like more. The jacket has a standard down vest liner, but even with that in the wind that comes through the perforated sleeves is enough to chill you.
Front

Back

Standard CE approved armor in shoulders, elbows, forearms. Two outside pockets up front. Nice smooth velcro wrist closers make getting long cuff gloves over sleeves easy. The jacket utilizes some kind of very smooth, soft leather around the wrists and neck so it's not abrasive to the skin. The jacket fits great, although i wish they would employ a different way of sizing than just S-XXL. A chest size would be nice. It's very comfortable when i'm riding, and the velcro waist closure helped suck some slack up. It's perforated on the front and everything that's black on the sleeves. The jacket breathes very well and i don't see any problems with wearing it in the summer (as i will be). It's got a full 360 degree waist zipper for pant attachment, but Motogp does not make pants with a 360 degree zipper. I ordered their apex pants and i'm going to have the zipper sewn on. All in all, great construction, comfort, and breathing, all for a really good price (www.ridersinc.com). I'd give this jacket a 9/10

Alpine* SPS short cuff gloves:

Great gloves. Can't argue with $60 price tag. Don't get hot. Have pretty decent protection, although nothing really for finger knuckles. Not really any wrist protection (they are short cuffs). Easy velcro wrist closure over the top. Very fast to get in and out of, and they fit nicely into the cuffs of all of my jackets.
I'd give them a 7/10, just cause they're not long cuff.

Shoei RF-1000 helmet:

I freakin love this helmet. Alot cheaper than most Arais and Suomys, and it fits like a glove. Pretty good on wind noise, although ear plugs cut out alot. Breathes well, and hardly fogs up at all with the included chin cover and breath guard. Lots of choices for visor color. I'm sporting the dark smoke. Compared to the crappy helmet (i will talk about it later) i was wearing before this, this helmet is a dream. Pretty darn aerodynamic too. I give this helmet a 9/10.

Alpine* SMX boots:

These are great boots. Kinda complicated to get in and out of, but really easy to walk around in (if you don't mind an audible squeaking noise). They never really get too hot, and i love riding in them. There's a scrunchy-like lacing system inside, then a zipper up the side, then a ratcheting system at the top. But once you're in there, you're good to go. Good boot for the money, i give it a 9/10

Dainese TT-72 jacket:

Ahh, my first jacket. I bought this jacket slightly used off a friend. Not a very good summer jacket as it doesn't breathe at all, unless you leave the cuffs open and let air fly up your sleeves. But does have the option of this:

Hardly even know it's there when it's in. Otherwise the jacket has good armor like most jackets. The button closures at the wrists and waist are a little annoying, especially if you already have your gloves on. Plus they don't allow for anything in between, it's either this snap, or that snap. Consequently my cuffs are either too tight or too loose. The jacket has a full sleeve down liner so it's a great jacket for slightly cooler weather. I wore it in the rain in 50 degree weather for 3 hours, and although it leaked through at the zippers a little, it kept me warm for the most part. Great jacket, too expensive though. For the price, i give this jacket 6/10

Frank Thomas Strike jacket:

I actually got this jacket through a friend who works at cycle gear, so i only paid $110 instead of the list price near $300. So i'm keeping that in considering as i think about this jacket. I haven't heard alot of great things about FT, and from what i've seen/read about accidents with this stuff, the seems split alot and they're pretty much trashed. Beyond that, it has CE approved armor in all the right places, and i was able to fit that Dainese back protector inside the jacket, replacing the factory memory-foam-like back pad. The front and back are entirely perforated, and the sleeves have a textile/kevlar on the inside of the arm that breathes extremely well. This jacket stays very cool. It comes with a down vest liner, but i promptly lost it some where. There is no waist adjuster, which kind sucks. The wrist closures are velcro, and suck bad:

They stick out like a half inch, making it really hard to pull a long cuff glove over. The "silver" color for this jacket also sucks bad, i feel like the tin man in this thing. Another thing i noticed about this jacket is that there's a panel of leather inside the arm pit and then the sleeves are lined with a smooth plastic-like material making it very comfortable on the arms:

All in all, for the money i paid, this is a very nice jacket. But the frank thomas pants (and boots and gloves) suck terribly. The pants in my size didn't fit. There was so much extra leather behind my knee that i couldn't bend my legs. I had to go up 2 sizes just to be able to bend my legs. At that point the leather was so baggy i might as well be wearing jinco jeans. All pairs i tried on were also very baggy in the calf area and basically were the suck.
The jacket gets a 8/10 because of the deal i got. But otherwise i'm not sure i trust FT.

KBC TK-9 (a.k.a. the suck)

I got this helmet with the bike and wow, it's terrible. First thing i find out it that there was a massive recall on this helmet just months before this one was made. It's the right size (technically) but it fits terribly, and actually floats on my head in high winds. It doesn't ventilate at all, and the stupid vents on the top look like some kind of dead sea animal. The mouth cover is absolutely uneccessarily huge. The visor is slutty loose and vibrates alot. Basically, i wouldn't pay money for this helmet. How could the tk-8 be such a better helmet than this? Is this helmet even made anymore? 0/10 yikes.

Icon tank bag (the only icon i'll ever own)

This bag friggin rocks. I got it through the same cycle gear friend so i only paid like $50. Lots of compartments for organizing stuff. Nice non-abrasive sticky pad underneath for sticking to the tank. Four very strong little magnets hold it on there, and there's a removeable strap to wrap around the steering tube or triple tree. The outer flap is clear plastic so you can stick a phone or an ipod in there and be able to see it. I've used it for several long rides and really enjoy resting on it sometimes on the highway. It's easy to deattach at a gas station or restaraunt so you don't have to worry about theft. And the best part is, in under a minute (kind of complicated, but you get used to it) you can convert the bad boy into a real-deal back pack with straps. It can also hold a helmet underneath it with the same soft non-abrasive sticky pad. It's the macgyver of backpacks. I'd recommend it to anyone that is looking for a decent do-it-all tank bag. Comes in colors too, i'm not sure which ones, i know black, red, and blue for sure, possibly yellow. If you've got a 600rr though, careful, the front two magnets have nothing to stick to on your bikes. The back two magnets kind of stick to something. But there's still the triple tree strap, and sticky pad underneath to hold it on there.
10/10. Great bag.

Gratuitous bike shot:
(not my car in background)

And my birthday present to myself:
PCIII USB

If anyone is wonder, that extra junk in the top of the picture, in my trunk, is an electric trunk acuator. When my key is in the on position i can hit a little button under my seat and the passenger seat will pop up (thus the zip-tied spring).

Thanks for reading this, and remember, i'm by no means a profressional, or heck, even a seasoned rider, i'm just another *** hole on the internet, and these are my opinions. Enjoy.

Modified by slvrblckrdRC51 at 6:03 PM 9/26/2006
Old 04-11-2006, 06:53 PM
rebmem roines

Default Re: 2006 My gear/opinions (slvrblckf4i)

Wow very good right up.

Maybe a mod should up your percent points!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 My gear/opinions (EkEli)

I got that tank bag. It's sat in my room ever since I couldn't figure out how to make the bitch stick on my rr (just like you said, lol).
Old 04-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 My gear/opinions (Nihonjin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nihonjin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got that tank bag. It's sat in my room ever since I couldn't figure out how to make the bitch stick on my rr (just like you said, lol).</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought about the whole RR problem and thought that if someone really wanted to they could take the RR tank cover off and position pieces of metal, glued in, in the right places so that the bag would stick. But from what i've read, RR owners with tank bags just use the triple tree strap and try not to worry about it.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thread dude, pretty nice collection of gear for such a short riding time!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

i just watched a documentary on prison tattos, and eyes above the groin or on the lower back are forcefully tattoed on gay inmates that are to be raped at will by other inmates.

so stay out of russia with that jacket, or people will think you want to get ***-raped...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

That was one of the best reviews I've ever read on this site hands down. Well done!

EGMike... wow. Alright. Did you read about the guy that got put away for lying about what his Kanji character tatoos meant and then kept scamming away in prison?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ASteele2)

I have the same gloves and they're outstanding for a short trip here and there. Like you said, easy on - easy off. They fit on the loose side compared to their race gloves.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone has a thing for silver and black...

Great reviews.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

thats a nice little collection of gear you got there
Old 04-12-2006, 04:25 AM

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

nice write-up

got some good gear there.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice gear.

nice express t-shirt too, I got the same one.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tpc01x)

Great reviews. These are some things to keep in mind when I start purchasing my gear. . . once I FINALLY get my bike.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 AM

Default Re: (Storm Shadow)

great right up!

i got the same gloves and helmet (different finish)!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (thehondabuddy)

"don't mess with texas"

Nice write up
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vapor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vapor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"don't mess with texas"

Nice write up</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said, not my car. Not only do i think bumper stickers are lame, but i hate that particular one.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (slvrblckf4i)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrblckf4i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

like i said, not my car. Not only do i think bumper stickers are lame, but i hate that particular one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe, just messing with you. I read it wasn't your car. My favorite lame bumper sticker has to be "Bush/Cheny '04" or "Kerry/Edwards" People need to take that crap off, elections are over!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vapor)

Seriously. I don't care who you voted for, i don't need to see it now. The elections are over.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
AIRBORNE

i should do a write up of all my gear, maybe i will if i get bored .. but half of it is shredded up haha

I had the same Frank Thomas jacket, and it held up decent, although i didn't really slide much on the pavement. It was an awesome jacket for the price, not to mention you can get the suit for like $400 now
Old 04-13-2006, 01:49 AM
epy
Honda-Tech Member

Cool write-up. Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts. Helps me when picking gear.

And to fellow WAer
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Location: kyoto sangyo daigaku, kyoto, japan, sometimes bay area CA
Default Re: (epy)

i hate those gloves.

i had them them too cuzof the cheaper price tag and less hassle of a cuff. then i hit a deer going 50mph and my knuckles got severely bruised, the bottom part of the palm leather wore through and i got huge scrapes on the bottoms of my palms and wrists. sorry, no pics, i trashed them the second i got home from the accident (thankfully with only scrapes and bruises).

soon as i got another bike, i got the A* GP-Plus gloves for $120 on sale at cyclegear. never regret it ONCE. 3 seconds of inconvenience is worth the skin on my palms, IMO.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dLo homey-GS-RaRrRrR!)

Amazing review. Much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dLo homey-GS-RaRrRrR!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dLo homey-GS-RaRrRrR! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hate those gloves.

i had them them too cuzof the cheaper price tag and less hassle of a cuff. then i hit a deer going 50mph and my knuckles got severely bruised, the bottom part of the palm leather wore through and i got huge scrapes on the bottoms of my palms and wrists. sorry, no pics, i trashed them the second i got home from the accident (thankfully with only scrapes and bruises).

soon as i got another bike, i got the A* GP-Plus gloves for $120 on sale at cyclegear. never regret it ONCE. 3 seconds of inconvenience is worth the skin on my palms, IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yikes, good to know. I'd really like to pick up a set of long cuff gloves, i'll look into those GP-plus ones. Thanks
Old 05-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*UPDATE* 5-13-06
Motogp RPM gloves. These are last year's model, but i got them for $60. The new Nitrous gloves from them have carbon fiber for each knuckle, and look like something you'd play rollerball with. I LOVE these RPM gloves. They're made from the finest napa leather, end quote, and it's really smooth and soft. The leather doesn't stick to the controls or anything like my A* gloves do. I could never let the clutch lever slip off my fingers with the A*s, but with these i have a more personal feel with everything i touch. They're very easy to get on an off and require only the wrist strap. Once on, they're comfortable, and i don't feel any tight spots. They only come in this color, but it looks like it would work with everything.

And the other new addition is my pair of Motogp Apex pants (apparently i'm a motogp *****). These pants have a full waist zipper, even though they don't advertise it (and the outdated pictures show a little 8 inch zipper), and pads in all the right places, including hip and buttocks. They fit great and don't bunch up and get uncomfortable. Also, the crotchular area is perforated and breathes really well when i'm at speed, making it feel like i have central air. For the money, i couldn't beat this Motogp setup. Great stuff

Old 05-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2006 My gear/opinions (slvrblckf4i)

Quick Reply: 2006 My gear/opinions (lots of pics)