Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help

Im kinda new to this but I'll try anything before I take my bike to the dealer, I just got a 02 cbr f4i with 600 miles. I rode for about 2 weeks with no problems, in the last couple days things have changed, the bike cuts off on its own, while im riding, if Im giving it steady throttle at the same rpm, it will jerk back and forth a little, you cant see it, just feel it, its not steady and smooth. then theres times when it really jerks and bangs my jewels!! then it cuts off, AND I GET THIS F1 LIGHT??? dont know what it means?? other times, I will give it a full tank of gas, and five minutes later the display shows that im usung my reserve tank, when I know I just filled up, I think thats when these strange things start happening, some Im thinking the problem has something to do with fuel, on the other hand, my battery seems very week, the headlights dim really bad when its just batts on. also when I turn the power on everything doesnt come on at once, first the backlight comes on, then the rpm needle moves and then rpm digits scroll up and back on to zero, then the rest of the warning lights come on. none of this happens at the same time and it should. when I go to start the bike, all the lights almost completely turn off and it takes to long to start, so Im also thinking I could have a battery problem, I dont know, does anyone have a suggestion?? oh yea, I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but the day before this started I was practicing wheelies for the first time on this bike, maybe something got loose on my landing's?? I dont know, the next day I took the bike for the longest ride I had takin it, while I was doing about 80 or 90 on the highway, thats when I got my first jerking motion and the F1 light?? anyone please help before the damn dealership rips me off!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help (02cbrf4i)

FI light is the fuel injection light. First things first, check your plugs...they could be fouled. I would also get the battery charged/replaced if your lights are dim.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Re: my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help (BoostedSi)

actually I thought of that, I just did an oil change and a tune up, theres new plugs in it now but its still doing the same thing, I didnt know that was what the fI light ment though, thanks! any other suggestions?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 AM

Sounds like eletrical problems, especially if your lights are dim . . . could be a bad computer causing all those power surges, or an improperly grounded wire . . . if you don't wanna spend the next few days chasing it down, take it to your dealer . . .
Old 05-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help (slylos)

if you know someone with an f4i try swapping out ecm's and see if that works.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try everything everyone else stated, but also make sure your battery terminals are on there properly. If they're not, it will cause everything you mentioned so far.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoodKnight)

Just a few things... when you start the bike, the light goes off and then on to save cranking volts to start the bike. I doubt its your battery as I have a friend with a dead battery and we push start him alot, and his bike runs fine til you have to start it. I would check the ecu, and injectors... sounds like your getting poor fuel delivery...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (VolpeOwnsU)

yea, thats what Im more point towards too, I decided just to to suck it up and take it to the dealer just to be safe and get it done right, when I get the bike back I'll post what the problem was, thanks for all the tips!!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (02cbrf4i)

underneath the seat by the computer there is a plug with no connection on the other end...That may be the jumper to pull trouble codes from the ecu...I could be wrong, but thats exactly how there fi cars are...Double check with someone at a dealer, perhaps that may help u a little...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99lspwr)

yup, that is the jumper
Old 05-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedSi)

:thumbup....I thought thats what it was.....Havent had to use mine yet though (knock on wood)....01 cbr btw..
Old 05-26-2004, 03:50 AM

Default Re: my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help (slylos)

yea, Im always around the city area, we ride every where, till all hours. just let me know when your in the city, you can show me some of your crazy stunts....
Old 05-26-2004, 03:51 AM

I just noticed your in the city too, who you ride with?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02cbrf4i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> just let me know when your in the city, you can show me some of your crazy stunts.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol will do man, it'll probably be sometime in july . . .
Old 05-26-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: (GoodKnight)

Guess what...the news just came in!!! the problem with the bike was loose battery contacts....you were right, thats what the dealership just told me, they put it on the machine and it failed, then they found the terminals loose, tightened them up, put it back on the machine and it worked great.....thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im back on the road tonight!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to hear you're in business... I ride with showoffnyc and a few of his boys. They'll all be in seaside this weekend but i'll be around. If you wanna ride, shoot me a PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:19 PM

awesome man look forward to doin some ridin when I get up therr!!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:31 PM

aight, no doubt..I ride with a couple guys from RPM, is it cool if they come through too?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (slylos)

aight, just give me a holla!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on man....u should know hondas dont brake!!!!!Loose battery terminals, thats funny......Always check the basics first bro!!
Old 05-27-2004, 06:30 AM

Default Re: (99lspwr)

who knew that was a basic, except for one guy, maybe I should have pulled my whole computer out first like you suggested....I was being carefull and making sure the job was done right, when some wierd stuff like that is happening to my bike, I dont mess around!!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM

Awesome man glad you got it fixed!! Hey check out this clip I made with some buddies:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=877330
Old 05-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slylos)

Always check all connections when there is an electrical problem, especially grounds!!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM

Hi I have a 2001 CBR and have been experiencing the exact symptoms you discussed (RPMs drop to zero for a second/engine cuts while riding/F1 indicator coming on & off during this)... I took it to my dealer not too long ago, and they also tightened the terminals & said they couldn't find anything else... was cool for about a day, and then started doing it again. It happens sporatically, but at least one each time I ride now & I'm afraid to go too far from home... after a new battery & a few visits, I'm losing faith in my dealer. Anyway, I was wondering: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY FURTHER PROBLEMS W/ THE F1 LIGHT SINCE YOUR DEALER TIGHTENED THOSE CONNECTIONS? THANKS!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: my new cbr F4I having problems...need some help

Originally Posted by 02cbrf4i
Im kinda new to this but I'll try anything before I take my bike to the dealer, I just got a 02 cbr f4i with 600 miles. I rode for about 2 weeks with no problems, in the last couple days things have changed, the bike cuts off on its own, while im riding, if Im giving it steady throttle at the same rpm, it will jerk back and forth a little, you cant see it, just feel it, its not steady and smooth. then theres times when it really jerks and bangs my jewels!! then it cuts off, AND I GET THIS F1 LIGHT??? dont know what it means?? other times, I will give it a full tank of gas, and five minutes later the display shows that im usung my reserve tank, when I know I just filled up, I think thats when these strange things start happening, some Im thinking the problem has something to do with fuel, on the other hand, my battery seems very week, the headlights dim really bad when its just batts on. also when I turn the power on everything doesnt come on at once, first the backlight comes on, then the rpm needle moves and then rpm digits scroll up and back on to zero, then the rest of the warning lights come on. none of this happens at the same time and it should. when I go to start the bike, all the lights almost completely turn off and it takes to long to start, so Im also thinking I could have a battery problem, I dont know, does anyone have a suggestion?? oh yea, I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but the day before this started I was practicing wheelies for the first time on this bike, maybe something got loose on my landing's?? I dont know, the next day I took the bike for the longest ride I had takin it, while I was doing about 80 or 90 on the highway, thats when I got my first jerking motion and the F1 light?? anyone please help before the damn dealership rips me off!!!!

\\\\\\\---what your issue is. One of the issues i had with my bike. You have a faulty stator(generator\alternator) and will not recharge the battery. These days all new technology is ran off electricity. If the bike does not have the right enough power , it will not run strong and properly. Take an ohm reader to your battery and stator. Test and see what they are at. While the bike is running. The battery should b sitting about 12 v. The stator on the other hand is supposed to b at 14 v while running.