Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

bad rectifier/regulator? (cbr600 f2)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad rectifier/regulator? (cbr600 f2)

Well i finally got a chance to take a long distant ride (about 2 hours) with a group of friends the other night when suddenly my bike didnt want to start...i thought it was the battery so a friend of mine push started it and it ran perfectly fine till we got to a gas station so another rider can get some gas...i kept the bike running and tried revving it up while at the gas station, but then it died again...so i push started it again and it ran for about 5 mins until it finally died for good...we tried push starting it numerous times, but to no avail...i was forced to leave the bike over night till i got a new battery...

so the next day i slap a brand new battery on and the bike fires right up...i drive it back to a friends house and dont worry about it anymore, thinking the problem is fixed...so we go out again for another group ride and about 30 mins into the ride, it happens again...the bike runs fine on the highway, but as soon as i slow down below 3-4k rpms, the bike stalls out on me and i roll it to a parking lot where it doesnt have TRY to start...i hit the start buton and nothing...not even a noise...i could tell the battery is dead so i get a friend to jump start it and it fires right up, but i have to keep it revved it up high to even get moving...

my question is, could this be a rectifier problem?i know its a common thing for cbrs and i wont know until later on this week because i ordered the rectifier today and wont come in till later on...i'm charging the battery up so hopefully it'll run right...i'm kind of scared to ride it anywhere now cus of the fear of getting stranded again...

anyone have simlilar stories/suggestions on what it could be?

thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: bad rectifier/regulator? (Infinity_Racer)

its your R/R, but you should test it. first check your grounds, poor grounds can have an big effect on how the carging system runs.

with the bike <u>warmed up</u> and above 3k rpms it should read at or over 13.75V. a fully charged battery will read 12.75V, if it reads that the R/R is putting out nothing, and the bike is firing off the batt. it if it reads OVER 15v, bad R/R as well. a bad R/R will take out a battery, so dont ride the bike on that new batt before you fix/test the R/R, you may have to replace it again.

also test the stator while you have it unplugged, should be the yellow? wires that plug into the R/R. there should be three, and the resistance between the three should be less than 1 ohm. the resistance between the three and ground should register as an open circuit. if not, your stator is bad. but this is very rare, stators just dont go out really.

use the OEM honda unit, it is improved over the older ones, and way better than the ones on ebay.

i just replaced mine, i can give you the pages for the manual for a 98 VFR, i bet they are very similar
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: bad rectifier/regulator? (Infinity_Racer)

I picked up an 87 CBR600F Hurricane back in March and had to replace the stator and rectifier along with the battery because it wouldn't run on its own without a charged battery.
I hooked the bike up to a jumper pack and started it. I took the jumper off and it died right away. I started it again with the pack hooked up and tested the wires coming off the stator (there is a small cluster of wires (should be 3 wires) coming out of the right side of the motor (throttle and brake side of the bike) and got no reading. So I came to the conclusion that the stator was bad but replaced both teh stator and rectifier because im sure the rectifier would fail soon anyways even if it wasn't bad.
It is a good idea to lengthen the rectifier wires and mount it somewhere away from the motor so it can keep cooler. I put mine on the frame inside the rear fairing on the left side. You can even attach a small cooling fan from a computer processor to cool it too.
I would recommend ordering a Clymer manual for your bike. It has in depth instructions for just about EVERY repair or maintanance job you may need to do in laymans terms.
Good luck,
send me a message if you have any more questions or cant understand my typing (been drinking some beers).
Justin
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad rectifier/regulator? (MastaJae)

Ok my bike is in the shop right now for this very reason. Actually this is the second time in a month. All of my electrical was going out, first the speedo, then the tach, then the odometer, while I was driving my gixxer. Then the engine would die...I'd let it sit and cool off, then would start again for about 5-10 minutes, then same results.

First time I took it in they told my I had a melted wire harness, so they saudered it back together. 2 weeks later, same results. So this time they said i'm having a hard time getting a charge to the rectifier, so therefore now, i'm getting a stator, new wire harness, and a new rectifier.

That's probably your problem, unless you have a melted wire harness too? You might wanna check for that.

I'm also on my 4th battery.