Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

[Expletive] STONER! (Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nicky had to change his throttle control when he moved to MotoGP 1000 because he was sliding around too much and tearing up the tire</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a difference between 'throttle control' and 'riding style'

I've never seen Nicky highside off his bike, so I really doubt that his 'control' needs work. With the 990's the fuel limit was much higher, so it was not as much of an issue to use more fuel (power) to slide the bike and get it off the corner.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's a difference between 'throttle control' and 'riding style'

I've never seen Nicky highside off his bike, so I really doubt that his 'control' needs work. With the 990's the fuel limit was much higher, so it was not as much of an issue to use more fuel (power) to slide the bike and get it off the corner.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your throttle control is part of your style. Nicky had **** throttle control from his dirt track days and improved vastly after getting into Superbikes. He said so himself.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He said so himself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Source?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Originally Posted by .RJ

Source?
Originally Posted by amasoup.com
AMASoup.com Interview Nicky Hayden
Honda's man for 2001 and beyond
by evan williams

What were you doing when you were nineteen years old? Flunking freshman English in college? Being All You Could Be in boot camp in the military? Flipping burgers for minimum wage?

They call Owensboro, Kentucky's Nicky Hayden "The Kid", and he is currently experiencing a young adulthood we never did, or will for that matter.

After winning the AMA Athlete of the Year Award and the vaunted AMA 600 Supersport title in 1999, Hayden was elevated to the factory Honda Superbike team and won four of the twelve Superbike Nationals, and was on the podium nine times out of twelve events.

Although it often takes veteran riders years, if ever, to adjust to the intricacies of brutal and unforgiving Superbikes, Nicky was at the front from the beginning. Hayden showed both skill and mental toughness as he battled with veteran Aussie racer Mat Mladin all season long, only to come up five points short of the title.

There were plenty of opportunities to pack it in (like in Colorado when he literally burned the rubber off his tire going for the victory), but Hayden never did, culminating his year with a decisive race win in the season finale' at Willow Springs.

"More than anything, I just want to try to win the championship," Nicky says. "That would mean a lot to me. I get goosebumps just thinking about it."

The middle son of Rose and Earl Hayden, Nicky is a sponsor's dream. He's well spoken and clean-cut, in addition to being blindingly quick on a racing motorcycle. Hayden's endorsement deal with Joe Rocket Leathers puts him at the forefront of their marketing campaign, and American Honda has just inked a deal with Universal Studios that could possibly enlighten more of the non-motorcycle world to the skills of young Mr. Hayden. But he's not satisfied with his progress to date.

Hayden aspires to win the U.S. Superbike championship he narrowly missed out on in 2000, and eventually go to Europe to claim the World Motorcycling crown. That is a goal he's striven to achieve ever since his father, a former dirt-track racer, allowed Nicky and his brothers to ride and race motorcycles at a young age.

Despite the being thrust into rare air, Nicky's countenance is that of the average 19 year-old. He has plenty of charisma, but doesn't act like a rock star. Nicky is well mannered and articulate. He always takes time for his fans when he has the chance, despite the legendary lines for Honda's Sunday afternoon autograph sessions.

What does Hayden do for fun away from the track? "I like to hang out and chill with my friends, do whatever other kids do. Goof-off, kick it, whatever." Nicky is staggeringly normal.

Nicky sees the 2001 to be a tougher year than last season. "This year, I think, is gonna be even harder than last year. You could kinda tell at the end of the year some guys started stepping up. For next year there's gonna be some new faces in the crowd."

The American Honda team isn't resting on its laurels, however. After Daytona, Hayden will concentrate solely on Superbike. "We have a few things that should help next year. I'm going to have two Superbikes instead of one. So we'll try that, I don't know if it will help, or whatever, but I think when I try stuff, I'm a lot better if I can try it back to back. Try it on one bike, then get on the other bike and try that." In the past, Honda has allocated only one Superbike to their riders, preferring to put together a spare bike from parts only if needed because of a crash.

Concentrating solely on the Superbike class means Hayden will no longer race in the 600 class he won in 1999. "I'm sure I'll miss riding the 600. I enjoy riding both classes, but I see my main goal as trying to win the Superbike Championship."

What does Nicky think the advantages to riding only in Superbike are? "For me, I had the option that if I rode just Superbike then I'd have two Superbikes and more mechanics and more personnel focused just on Superbike, so that's what made me lean to doing it. I guess I'll be able to tell you after a few races. I guess just being able to concentrate 100% on one bike and that being your only thing...I'm sure it's gotta help a little bit. Also, if you ride both classes you get more track time. That's the only thing I don't like about it."

"On the weekends where there's two Superbike races, the double rounds even though there's only three of them, those weekends your riding two Superbike races and a 600 race," says Hayden. "On Saturday, you don't even have time to take your helmet off."

At DIS, however, Nicky will be on a Supersport machine and will press to get a victory in the most prestigious 600 race of the year. "At Daytona, I'm gonna be glad to ride the 600 there. That race is normally a lot of fun. Everybody is just drafting around and it all comes down to the last lap. Definitely, I'd love to do really good there, and I felt really good there in testing. The 600 seemed to be working better than its ever worked since I rode the factory bike, that's for sure. When I was riding for Erion, we had a really good set-up I was really comfortable with, but when I moved over to the factory bike, I never really got near as comfortable as when I rode the Erion bike and I always seemed to have some problems."

Nicky thinks his teammate Miguel Duhamel's development work has helped the new fuel-injected 600. "I think a lot of the credit goes to Miguel. He's worked really hard so far in testing this year to get the bike working a lot better, and the Showa boys have gotten us some new parts. Clint, Mark and those guys have really stepped up and got us some better stuff, and I felt pretty happy with it. I'd love to win that race for sure. I'm looking forward to it. It should be a fun race."

Daytona offers a unique set of challenges for the 600 rider, Nicky explains. "The race pace will be probably a second and a half slower than qualifying. Everybody goes slow through the infield because they are racing each other, then once they get on the banking everybody switches up, so the leader races guys a second or a second and a half slower than him."

And what of the addition of Kurtis Roberts to the American Honda Superbike squad for 2001? Hayden and Roberts raced for Erion on Formula Xtreme machines and 600 Supersport, and now take their burgeoning rivalry to Superbikes. "Me and Kurtis, we were teammates at Erion and got along fine. I don't know, he's a couple of years older than me, but I'd say we've got a good rivalry," Nicky laughs. "We like to beat each other pretty bad. We'll see...we have a lot different personalities, but we got along OK in the Erion truck so I think we'll get along OK."

Hayden doesn't know of any Suzuka eight hour plans Honda may have for him, but he did test there in December, along with Kurtis Roberts. If they develop, Roberts says he'd relish the opportunity.

Hayden discusses his Superbike style: "I'd say that my riding style is that I'm a lot better racer than anything, than like a qualifier, or in practice. Normally when the race comes around, that's definitely my best part. I don't know why that is, but normally in the race, especially if I qualified off a little bit, if I can get up with the front guys early, I can stay with them," he says.

"I'd say one of my weakest things is throttle control. I think that's definitely one of the things I need to work on next year is trying to smooth out a little bit. Just picking up the throttle and not spinning the tire so much."

The mighty Honda twin meshes well with Hayden's riding style. "I love the RC51. I know ... I was talking to Kurtis after Daytona and he said he liked the (RC)45 better. I enjoy the 51. I think last year it was the best Superbike to have, for sure. I would say it's really good, and kinda what you'd expect from Honda. They normally come out with the best thing. It has a lot of torque. I never rode a twin before I rode the '51, but I didn't have any problem adjusting."

The world of Superbikes dictates near-constant change for the engineers. Hayden feels HRC will improve the RC51 for next season, but he also plans to become a better rider to save his tires more than last season. "I think as far as the bike goes, one of the biggest things we need to work on is to get the thing to have more grip. But I think I can improve on picking up the throttle easier and not spinning (the tire) so bad," he says. "I would say that and a little more feel from the front end. Sometimes the front seems a little vague going in (to a turn), and it's really easy to lose the front. It should be better, because the guys at Honda have heard what we like and what we don't like. I have confidence in them and they are definitely gonna make some improvements."

The strategy includes a dedicated data acquisition person to monitor what the bikes are doing on the track, via the computer. "We have a new data acquisition guy, Darren, and I think that could be a big help too. Someone that can look at the data a lot closer and maybe help us.

"On the Superbike, we've always had it, but it's been more my mechanic Merlyn and Ray looking at the data. Even though they're good at it, that's not what they do. They aren't computer data guys. This new guy Darren, that's how he makes his living, on the computer and doing formulas and stuff like that."

Hayden's previous data usage has been limited to date, but that should change. "The biggest thing for me is setting up the transmission, and setting up the gearbox. Looking at how many RPMs you've got going through a corner or the straightaway or top speed. In the future, it's definitely a thing I could use more."

New manager Chuck Miller will take over the Honda racing program this season as longtime manager Gary Mathers is retiring. What does Hayden think of Miller? "Chuck's cool. He went to Japan with us. He's been a racer before, so I think that helps. He knows what it's like, and so far it seems to be going really good. He's motivated and wants to do it. He seems to be enjoying his job. I think he'll do fine."

"He's definitely got big shoes to fill. I liked Gary a lot, I though he's done a great job and hasn't gotten all the respect he deserves. The guy has had so much success. I've always gotten along great with him."

It's hard to believe Hayden has only ridden the Superbike for one full season, and much of the credit for preparing Hayden goes to veteran wrench Merlyn Plumlee. "If you went around the paddock and asked everybody who the most respected guy was, a big percentage would say him. The guy's accomplished a lot...I think he understands me and I understand him. He's a fun guy." Plumlee worked previously with Mike Hale, Freddie Spencer, Fred Merkel and Tripp Nobles.

Nicky's team includes co-crewchief Ray Plumb, and mechanics Davy Jones, Dan Fahey. "All my guys...that's one thing I really like about it. It's not like they're out here just earning a paycheck as a mechanic. Even though it's their job, they all enjoy it too. You don't hear them whining or complaining how they are being overworked. They are like me, they love racing and motorcycles."

Hayden will continue his dirt track racing as he will race for Corbin next season at the non-conflicting dirt track rounds. "Carl Hatcherie is building my bikes for next year. I've won the short track, a half-mile and a Superbike race, so I want to win a TT and a Mile, and get the Grand Slam. It's kinda old school, but I think that would be really neat. A lot of my heroes have done it. Bubba Shobert, Chandler...there's only four people have done it, and I think it would be really neat." The other two riders to complete the Grand Slam are Kenny Roberts and Dick Mann.

Could Nicky be the last man to win the Grand Slam? "If someone else came along to do it, I think it would be really tough. There's only one or two short tracks and one TT. It would be tough."

"I enjoy dirt-tracking, but I enjoy racing more than anything, he says. "As far as sliding and throttle control, it's gotta help a little bit. More than anything, it's being on the bike, any kind of bike, that helps. Being 19, we only have 12 Superbike races a year. I like to race, so I love just going out and getting to race more. That's what I do."

Mr. Earl Hayden is a ubiquitous figure at AMA Nationals, overseeing the progress of his three sons who are all factory riders. "The biggest help is having parents who are supportive," says Nicky. "You talk to other racers, and they'll say they didn't get a bike 'til they moved out, or their parents wouldn't let them race. Any time you do something and your parents are behind you, and you've got a family who supports you, it's cool. My parents normally go to all the races, and my sisters even go, so it's a family thing for us. It's really neat."

What is Nicky's favorite event? "I like Daytona, not really the track, but as my favorite race, no doubt, it would have to be that place. Big D, it's the biggest race of the year for us. As far as the actual track, I'd have to say Road America. The first time I went there I didn't like the place at all. After I got comfortable...I like it. I got my first Superbike win there, but that's not the only reason. It's pretty safe, other than the Kink. Compared to our other tracks it's really safe and it's got a little bit of everything."

For Christams, Nicky got a trials bike. "That's what Santa brought me. It's been snowing here, so I haven't got a chance to ride it. I always watched it on TV and I thought it looked cool."

The obvious question for Hayden is, 'What's next?' He has a two-year contract with Honda, and Hayden figures he'll be back in the US for 2002, although that would be up to Honda. But he'd eventually like to end up in Grand Prix racing. "That's my goal, to go to Europe and try the World Championship. That's been my goal since I was a little kid."

"If I get a chance to go, I want to be ready and go with Honda, and hopefully in a good team and a good environment," he says. Hayden isn't concerned with the 2002 Grand Prix rule changes. "I've seen the rules or whatever...to be honest, I don't care what they do. Two-stroke, four-stroke, whatever, I just hope I get the chance to ride one."

But for the present, Hayden sees the opposition as being more competitive this coming season in the US. Hayden appreciates the challenge. "It's good. I think it's only gonna make it better."

Life is good for Nicky. He wouldn't be doing anything else. "I just enjoy racing. Being around the people, competing. Lining up and trying to win, and the thrill you get from winning."

ENDS
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/nickyinter01.htm

Anyways.. I know what you're saying. Nothing is black and white either.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
.RJ

good read - thanks

My whole point through all of that is just that there isnt one thing that propels a rider to the sharp end of the grid - it all has to be working together - but the rider is still the largest part of the equation. Stoner has serious skills (and attachments).

Hopefully the rest of the season is just as exciting
Old 07-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good read - thanks

My whole point through all of that is just that there isnt one thing that propels a rider to the sharp end of the grid - it all has to be working together - but the rider is still the largest part of the equation. Stoner has serious skills (and attachments).

Hopefully the rest of the season is just as exciting </TD></TR></TABLE>

Aww **** if the rest of the season ends up as close a race as Laguna, I'm gonna have to invest in a heart rate monitor!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Aww **** if the rest of the season ends up as close a race as Laguna, I'm gonna have to invest in a heart rate monitor!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Toseland is going to make me an alcoholic. If he doesn't pick it up, I'm going to have to root for the fake brit, Hopper.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (GraphiteAccord)

lawl stoner is such a feg
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think my favorite part of the clip is in the very beginning when stoner is talking to rossi and rossi says "this is racing" as if he needs to chill lol

that was classic
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: (AdeJong 03)

the doctor speaks out.

RTÉ Sport: Rossi and Stoner rivalry heats up

some quotes

"[B] 'On the podium he told me that he'd lost respect for me because he's been racing for many years and he doesn't remember ever having a race like that. [b]"
-Rossi

"'Well if he's been racing for many years, I've been racing for a lifetime and I don't know who he's been racing against but I remember all my races being like that and my rivals always fought that way.'
"
-Rossi

" 'He's used to the mentality of racing at the front with a four second advantage over the field but racing shoulder-to-shoulder brings other factors into play,' said Rossi."
-Rossi
Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SWEEETTT

I cant wait to see the look on stoners face when rossi wins the championship

i do hope asimo recovers so the rest of the season will be closer, he really evens up the field sometimes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AdeJong 03)

hehe, rossi scared him a bit. Thing is, stoner left the door open for most of those passes (esp turn 5. Stoner should of been looking for it the SECOND time!) and rossi gave plenty of "racing room". Even the pass in the dirt on the corkscrew. It looked to me he went that far inside to avoid contact with stoner. They never touched and IMO that is just close enough. Stoner still has some racecraft to learn.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (RacerZook)

jeezus.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rte &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">'On the podium he told me that he'd lost respect for me because he's been racing for many years and he doesn't remember ever having a race like that,' said the Italian.

'Well if he's been racing for many years, I've been racing for a lifetime and I don't know who he's been racing against but I remember all my races being like that and my rivals always fought that way.' ...

'He's used to the mentality of racing at the front with a four second advantage over the field but racing shoulder-to-shoulder brings other factors into play,' said Rossi.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 AM
big strong guy

Default Re: (Starscream)

Jezz All this talk about Rossi being such a Hardcore Racer... Well I remember last year when he was crying like a girl about His Bike, Tires, Etc......

Also Witness Rossi's statements last year wen he was locked out of a podium position by the hard-riding Toni Elias at the Turkish Grand Prix

"I'm also quite unhappy with Elias today because I think he was quite dangerous - more than once he passed me on the inside and then altered his line. This is not a correct way to race,"

He is a little baby!

And I will bet my life Stoner would of won Laguna if he did not drop his bike in the Traps.

Eric
Old 07-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rainmanEK)

I wouldn't... And Rossi had a ligament argument about Elias and well the tires last year. Bike was fine. Elias would make a pass then move out. Rossi held his line after passing close. Two entirely different things. Plus noone denies that the michelins SUCKED last year and Rossi was able to still put up a decent fight.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EngineNoO9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't... And Rossi had a ligament argument about Elias and well the tires last year. Bike was fine. Elias would make a pass then move out. Rossi held his line after passing close. Two entirely different things. Plus noone denies that the michelins SUCKED last year and Rossi was able to still put up a decent fight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd have to agree. The most dangerous thing at a track is an unpredictable rider. You can't have someone that moves all over a corner and expect to make a good, safe pass. Thats why most beginner groups for trackdays have such passing rules.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (big pete)

Yea fuggin elias that noob!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (big pete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big pete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd have to agree. The most dangerous thing at a track is an unpredictable rider. You can't have someone that moves all over a corner and expect to make a good, safe pass. Thats why most beginner groups for trackdays have such passing rules. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup B groups suck for that reason. Happens too often in novice club racing as well. Guys moves off the line mid turn and the fast rider gets fuked cause he has nowhere to go.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rossi does ride dirty sometimes. I remember a few years back Sete and him were going at it all race then on the last lap, Sete was got ahead on the braking before a turn and had the line, then Rossi comes in way too hot and literally slams his side into Sete forcing him off the track. Rossi then went on to win the race but there was no way he could of made that turn without slamming into Sete.

Rossi should of been sanctioned for such a horrible move but since he was the golden boy back then they didn't do anything.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yup B groups suck for that reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup! At least I know that a C-Rider running wide will keep running wide and that I'd better getthafuggout.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Etylorcen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Etylorcen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rossi does ride dirty sometimes. I remember a few years back Sete and him were going at it all race then on the last lap, Sete was got ahead on the braking before a turn and had the line, then Rossi comes in way too hot and literally slams his side into Sete forcing him off the track. Rossi then went on to win the race but there was no way he could of made that turn without slamming into Sete.

Rossi should of been sanctioned for such a horrible move but since he was the golden boy back then they didn't do anything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

of course he rides dirty...especially when it comes to guys whose names rhyme with smibernau and flea-aggi.

and now, i think stoner may have made the list...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EngineNoO9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Happens too often in novice club racing as well. Guys moves off the line mid turn and the fast rider gets fuked cause he has nowhere to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure does. My friend broke both arms in a AFM race when he was forced into the dirt by someone going wide.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bad-monkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

of course he rides dirty...especially when it comes to guys whose names rhyme with smibernau and flea-aggi.

and now, i think stoner may have made the list...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wut do you think is in Stoner's future?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here to ride Nicky's nuts about the throttle control

Quick Reply: [Expletive] STONER! (Video Inside)