Acura MDX / RDX

2008 Odyssey EX-L Battery / Gear Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Odyssey EX-L Battery / Gear Issue

Hi everyone,

I have a 2008 Odyssey EX-L and it has an unusual problem that began happening last week, and only seems to happen when it idles for long periods of time or I'm in stop and go traffic for long periods of time. In short, what happens is, while the van is in "Drive":

1. The Navigation system powers off, then powers back on
2. When I take my foot off the brake and give the van gas, it inches forward as if I'm in Drive but slower than idle speed. Pressing the gas pedal down all the way has no effect, beyond revving the motor. It's as if I'm in neutral.

Putting the van into neutral or Park, then shifting back into Drive, 'fixes' the issue and the van drives normally at that point.

For what it's worth / possibly unrelated: The vehicle does have a strange history of short battery life. I've had to replace the battery more often than expected, and, I find myself having to regularly clean corrosion from the positive battery terminal and the positive battery cable connector ring. I've gone through 2 batteries since 2014 - I would expect them to last longer.

Does anyone have any idea what may cause this, and if the two are related? Does it seem worth paying to have it fixed? I am in the market, possibly, for a used Odyssey, they're nice vans and we love Honda in this house. :D