Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Proud Owner of a 2010 INSIGHT EX!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud Owner of a 2010 INSIGHT EX!!

Hey Guys... I just leased a 2010 Insight EX and I LOVE IT!! Totally stoked about the car and I love the paddle shifting!! I think the CVT and paddle shifting is a match made in heaven as the REVS maintains its place so you'll have constant torqe and power.

Anyways... does anyone know if the stock radio (non-nav) have RCA jacks for Amp install?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Proud Owner of a 2010 INSIGHT EX!!

thats great. insights look like loads of fun. post pics!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:34 PM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

The factory audio system is still a bit unknown.

I have a non-NAVI EX as well. I have a question in with the local Honda dealer about getting the steering wheel audio controls installed.

Best bet would be to remove the dash area and find out.

Also check out insightcentral.net
Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on the new car!

Marshall!!! Congrats on the Insight as well!!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:30 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy your rental car

No the stock radio does not have RCA inputs, but you can always use the AUX jack.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This post sucks with out pictures! Good luck with the new car.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM
FAILWGN

Might have to use a line out converter for installing an amp.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome!! I want one. Post pix.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross 2.0

No the stock radio does not have RCA inputs, but you can always use the AUX jack.
Correct.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post some pics !

Anyways, congratulations on the lease.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Enjoy your rental car
Haha. Can you use lease and owner in the same sentence?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Originally Posted by ferio252
Haha. Can you use lease and owner in the same sentence?
Nope, a lease is just a long term rental. There's a reason the dealer pushes leases so hard. They make the most money off of them! Such a ripoff.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They make the most money off of them! Such a ripoff.
Not exactly. Honda National lease programs are "generally" set at a low profit margin. As a 16 year Honda salesman, we like leases because it speeds up the buying cycle. Its a gaurantee to see that person back every 2-4 years and the car's alway's come back in good shape and serviced. Its a win-win.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Originally Posted by get RIGHT
Not exactly. Honda National lease programs are "generally" set at a low profit margin. As a 16 year Honda salesman, we like leases because it speeds up the buying cycle. Its a gaurantee to see that person back every 2-4 years and the car's alway's come back in good shape and serviced. Its a win-win.
So you don't know how to use a calculator. In no way shape or form is a fleece EVER a good deal.
And I can walk out of a dealer the fastest after paying cash.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you don't know how to use a calculator. In no way shape or form is a fleece EVER a good deal.
And I can walk out of a dealer the fastest after paying cash.
ROFL. A little testy arent we? Obviously I can so I can ask the same question of you. Which do you think is cheaper, leasing a Insight (or just about any car for that matter)for 3 years or buying a Insight and trading it after 4 years? Which is "about" the same buying cycle as most folks these days. Which is cheaper, A or B?

If you have cash to buy a car straight out then thats great for you but most folks dont have that luxury.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics modafukas
Old 12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

ROFL. A little testy arent we? Obviously I can so I can ask the same question of you. Which do you think is cheaper, leasing a Insight (or just about any car for that matter)for 3 years or buying a Insight and trading it after 4 years? Which is "about" the same buying cycle as most folks these days. Which is cheaper, A or B?

If you have cash to buy a car straight out then thats great for you but most folks dont have that luxury.
I don't fleece (at all) buy new cars or trade in cars. I don't like getting shafted by dealer prices on any side of the deal. (I work at a dealer).There are a few parts to your equation to consider.

#1 Any Hybrid new or used has ridiculously inflated prices so buying one at any point is a bad deal.

#2 B is still cheaper because you actually OWN the car and can get some money out of it if you bothored to make a deal on the purchase, as long as you make payments you aren't forced at any point to surrender the car or get another one, all you have to do is maintain the car.

#3 if you do go for the lease you pay XXX a month for the car (at an insanely high interest rate), pay for excessive wear and tear, mileage and any other crazy thing they can throw at you. The lease company still owns the car and you pay to drive it and maintain it for them. At the end of the lease you hand them the keys and a check and walk away with nothing but memories to show for it.

Here is a good summary of it. http://www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?...ntItemId=10367

I have cash for my cars because I think it's stupid in general to finance anything. Which is why I'm debt free
Old 01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry this took so long, Ross. I missed it. Hopefully you see this because I think I am about to get long winded.

#1 Any Hybrid new or used has ridiculously inflated prices so buying one at any point is a bad deal.
Thats not entirely the case. Right now you can buy a brand new Insight LX for under $19k(if you haggle and it sounds like you do) and get 1.9%APR too. But you need to hurry, APR is only good thru the end of the month.

#2 B is still cheaper because you actually OWN the car and can get some money out of it if you bothored to make a deal on the purchase, as long as you make payments you aren't forced at any point to surrender the car or get another one, all you have to do is maintain the car.
I am going to have to go with NO on that one and here's why. On a purchase, you are going to pay the full sale price of the car (or for however long you financed) and then sales tax, licensing within the first 30-35 days. Thats a substantial chunk of change. Also, you are stuck in that car purchase for several years (assuming a big chunk wasnt put down 1st) you cant just go down and trade it in on a whim. What if circumstances change? Loss of a job? Move? More kids? Hospital stays? What happens if you wreck it? What happens when the warranty runs out? You are stuck in your car purchase regardless.

When you lease, you will have a much smaller payment per month. Since you are not paying the full sale price of the vehicle, only a portion. You will also not be forced to come up with that big chunk of sales tax since it is rolled into your monthly payments. All that will be due in 30-45 days is licensing. Also, you will build equity much faster for those unexpected things like what was mentioned above. "Generally" a Honda lease can be traded out of up to a year in advance thanks soley to Honda's great resale value. So your buying cycle is excelerated if need be to accomadate any changes in lifestyle. Honda leases also provide GAP insurance at no cost to you so if you wreck it, who cares. You wont be stuck with it. Just turn it back in at the end of the lease and walk away from it. Let it be someone else's hassel. You dont have to worry about the big drop in resale for it because Honda set the cars ending value (known as residual) in stone from the time of signing. Lets say at the end of lease you like the car..... Great. You know exactly what it can be bought for, which is the residual value. The residual value is always cheaper thatn retail market value and you know the cars history and maint already. Not too mention, the average honda lease runs concurrent with the warranty so when the lease is done the warranty expires at the same time. It's a win-win.

#3 if you do go for the lease you pay XXX a month for the car (at an insanely high interest rate), pay for excessive wear and tear, mileage and any other crazy thing they can throw at you. The lease company still owns the car and you pay to drive it and maintain it for them. At the end of the lease you hand them the keys and a check and walk away with nothing but memories to show for it.
Hold up. Where are you getting these insanely high interest rates on leases from? Leases dont use interest rates they use money factors which "generally" loosely equate to less than 2%. I honestly have never seen one higher than that. If it was nobody would lease because the payments would be higher than purchase. Lets talk, "Excessive wear and tear, mileage and any other crazy thing they can throw at you". Honda gives $1500 damage credit for wear and tear. All they ask is damage does not exceed 500 in any 1 spot. Now on to who really owns the car. Lets be honest, when you buy a car and finance it, you don't own it either. The Bank does. Most people(not all) trade those cars while thet still oew $$ on it. Whats the difference? The diff is the leasee paid substanially less per month for theirs than the purchaser did. At the end of the lease the leasee has several options. 1 is to hand the keys back in (like you mentioned) and preferrably get into another low payment lease (which is fine because the warranty usually expires about this time)or 2 the leasee can can trade the car in. This option is best for most Honda leasees. Honda's high resale values "usually" make it possible to get some $$ back assuming the payoff or residual amount doesnt exceed the trade in value. Alot of times with a Honda this is the case, not so with most other makes. 3 is to buy out the lease for the residual value. This option is nice for some because you can buy the vehicle you have been driving for much less than the market value.

I hope this helps clear up some misconceptions on leasing.

Obviously, if you have cash and can remain debt free, that is the best option.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
New User

Everyone can have the cash and remain debt free with Dave Ramsey's plan... I think that is the whole point of this conversation. However 2 facts remain: 1, leasing IS the most expensive way to drive a car, and 2, the average person with $1 million in the bank drives a 5-7 year old car and does not have to trade it in every 2 years for the new model. It just depends on your cup of tea. Do you want to have money and live like no one else, or do you want to **** it away so everyone else can have it?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where the hell are the pichas!?!?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ackthelag
However 2 facts remain: 1, leasing IS the most expensive way to drive a car, and 2, the average person with $1 million in the bank drives a 5-7 year old car and does not have to trade it in every 2 years for the new model. It just depends on your cup of tea. Do you want to have money and live like no one else, or do you want to **** it away so everyone else can have it?
Your #1 Fact is not true. Even one of the richest men in the World, Warren Buffet says you should never buy a depreciating asset (a car) but should lease it and your #2 fact cant be proven. Id agree about the cup of tea part.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your #1 Fact is not true. Even one of the richest men in the World, Warren Buffet says you should never buy a depreciating asset (a car) but should lease it :

I think Mr. Buffet should be more regarded for his INVESTMENT accomplishments in this scenario then simply being "rich". Truly one of the most intelligent and highly regarded person for Investments.

Buying a new car is the WORST INVESTMENT A PERSON CAN MAKE. think about it... the moment you buy it you cannot resell it for what it is worth, you take full responsibility for all damages, maintenance, wear and tear and any other issues with the car. This adds more money into the equation not including the interest one normally would pay on the car (cause we are not all full of money) It is the biggest waste of money a person can make... But it is justified because the feeling of a new car gives you the illusion that it will break down less often then older cars.

Now buying a car is not bad but only a few used cars will ever be worth the money you put into them. Things such as old "collectibles" and rare cars (Ferrari F50, Lancia LC2 racecar, and of course an originally restored 1970's Hemi Cuda) ... these appreciate in value.

Older Jetta diesels and 92-00 civics are good choices to invest in due to "real market value" They have hit a floor unless they are wrecked and costs minimal amounts of money, that when taken care of, can easily give you back your money within a year or two.

Now as leasing is concerned, One of the best options for someone who needs a car. First off you pay reduced rates for the car that... you can eventually buy without paying more then you would have with your original Purchase+Interest+Maintenance. you have a new car every 2-3 years. and you never have to worry about the car. Granted some leasing options and contracts are better then others but if you think about it... you have a race car in your garage, then you have a completely reliable daily driver, that when you get bored of, you can get another one and not loose money on the transaction since all you have payed for it is a "usage" cost. But the main point in this argument is with Hybrid/ Electric cars... the cost of batteries and loss of storage capacity over time only makes sense to not have to deal with the HUGE cost of replacing those. Ask any major car manufacture, and a Better place. Leasing is the only option for electrical and hybrid vehicles.

I personally never considered leasing until I came to Germany, Now I believe it is one of the best Ideas if you can afford the monthly payment. I will try to get my company to pay for it . Unfortunately I still have to resort to finding a cheap early 90's Honda to drive to work when i return since mine was stolen the day before I left.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW get some pic's up!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
New User

Congrats
hope i will be able to hold my horses til the CR-Z is out tho lol