Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Old Insight Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Old Insight Battery Replacement

Is there an easy way to tell if the battery pack in an old '00 Insight has been replaced?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Old Insight Battery Replacement

There is no battery life indicator (other than CEL for the IMA system when it is failing).

The only possible way I can think of us to open up the battery compartment and look for a MFG date on the battery pack.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, I know that they replace the BCM and MCM when they do a battery replacement. The old software is what was leading to early failures, so the newer ones got new computers.

My battery was replaced under warranty at 140k, warranty is 10 yr / 150k. There are plenty of ways to exercise the battery and determine its health as well.

Mostly, drive and use a LOT of assist, drain the battery completely. The discharge should be nice and linear - if it suddenly drops from 1/2 battery to empty, the battery is on its way out and should throw a code soon.

Basically, once you get an IMA battery code, Honda replaces the battery no questions asked. A lot of people get goodwill coverage even outside of warranty coverage.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd add that Honda probably keeps record of battery replacements, as few shops / individuals probably attempt this, especially since the warranty is so good.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A VIN status inquiry will tell you what open warranty extensions have been performed. If you dont have a local dealer hookup for this PM me and I can help.