Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Look what is being said about the new Insight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what is being said about the new Insight...

http://www.cars-10.com/2010/02/2009-...of-the-clones/

They are not right at all...Honda is much more beautiful and sexier than the Prius,....
Old 02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Look what is being said about the new Insight...

Hmmm...

I completely agree with the author of the article. As a matter of fact I had the same idea. Probably the Honda engineers had the same path as Toyota which it does not need to be bad.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:33 PM
New User

Originally Posted by gjurovski
Hmmm...

I completely agree with the author of the article. As a matter of fact I had the same idea. Probably the Honda engineers had the same path as Toyota which it does not need to be bad.

According to me, they follow two very different philosophies...
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that car is nasty. the prius is nasty, and so they copied each other on nastiness.

imo, the prius is uglier because the shapes dont "flow" as nicely as the insight. The insights front end really looks like and aerodynamic, it accents the cars slight curves and the back end has a nice set up. however honda DID pretty much steal the prius's look, the back glass ****, the look, everything except the interior is pretty much the same car. with the exception of the new civic front end being slapped on, its a near clone. author is right in the sense that honda threw their badge on the prius and copy,pasted the civic front end
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The insight will be much more appealing since the prius now has recall issues of its own.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
The insight will be much more appealing since the prius now has recall issues of its own.

that too
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chiboy002
that car is nasty. the prius is nasty, and so they copied each other on nastiness.

....however honda DID pretty much steal the prius's look ..... its a near clone.
Rhetorical question time.

Say there are two companies. Each company has a very high budget for developing a low coefficient of drag, four-door passenger vehicle with similar constraints on passenger and cargo space. Each company is working independently with the same ultimate goal in mind, using all the latest engineering technologies to determine shape and size of this vehicle.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the two companies would end up with a design that is similar to eachother?

Look at Formula-1. Without paint and graphics, would you be able to identify which car is which? Same theory, a list of finite and tangible goals and a large budget ultimately leads to a very similar if not identical design.

It isn’t about copying a ‘look’, it is a purpose-built design. It may look like a turd, but it is the best design for the stated goal.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Sexy Cheese Cake

however honda DID pretty much steal the prius's look, the back glass ****, the look
I have to agree and disagree. Even though it looks like the Prius, i dont think they stole to much. If you look at the first gen, 3 door Insights they already had this hatch style. Even the Crx had this styling in the rear. Now Honda did however see there was more a market for a 4 door over a 2 seater 3 door Insights and followed. But I dont think theres to much else you can do in design to really set the look apart. If anything Prius copied the Insight. That style Prius didnt make it out until the 04 models. So its a little hard to say who completely copied who IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92TypeR
Rhetorical question time.

Say there are two companies. Each company has a very high budget for developing a low coefficient of drag, four-door passenger vehicle with similar constraints on passenger and cargo space. Each company is working independently with the same ultimate goal in mind, using all the latest engineering technologies to determine shape and size of this vehicle.

Would it be reasonable to assume that the two companies would end up with a design that is similar to eachother?

Look at Formula-1. Without paint and graphics, would you be able to identify which car is which? Same theory, a list of finite and tangible goals and a large budget ultimately leads to a very similar if not identical design.

It isn’t about copying a ‘look’, it is a purpose-built design. It may look like a turd, but it is the best design for the stated goal.
you have a good point but still, with so many possibilities to create with a fuel efficient car, which usually dont go fast, they wouldnt even need aerodynamic shapes. Maybe they looked over at their neighbors in toyota and thought it was a good design but added their own features. But take off the badges and remove the paint, side by side wouldnt you think its a newer model from the same company?

Originally Posted by duckmanEG
I have to agree and disagree. Even though it looks like the Prius, i dont think they stole to much. If you look at the first gen, 3 door Insights they already had this hatch style. Even the Crx had this styling in the rear. Now Honda did however see there was more a market for a 4 door over a 2 seater 3 door Insights and followed. But I dont think theres to much else you can do in design to really set the look apart. If anything Prius copied the Insight. That style Prius didnt make it out until the 04 models. So its a little hard to say who completely copied who IMO.
hmmm, this is true
Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
FSAE

you have a good point but still, with so many possibilities to create with a fuel efficient car, which usually dont go fast, they wouldnt even need aerodynamic shapes.
Pardon? Coefficient of drag plays a HUGE role in the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. To be completely accurate, this equation is the 'rule of thumb' equation used for top-level analysis.

CD * A * ρ * V^2

CD = Coefficient of Drag
A = Frontal Area of vehicel
ρ = Mass Density of air
V = velocity (speed)

At 70mph you have FOUR times the amount of force working against you than at 35mph.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92TypeR
Pardon? Coefficient of drag plays a HUGE role in the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. To be completely accurate, this equation is the 'rule of thumb' equation used for top-level analysis.

CD * A * ρ * V^2

CD = Coefficient of Drag
A = Frontal Area of vehicel
ρ = Mass Density of air
V = velocity (speed)

At 70mph you have FOUR times the amount of force working against you than at 35mph.
me no speaky englis...

get out of here with your 5k posts, i quit.
"92TypeR
FSAE

Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
FSAE

me no speaky englis...

i quit.
If you are interested in this type of stuff pick up a book!

Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design: An Introduction
B.H. Barnard
ISBN: 0954073401
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combson

http://www.cars-10.com/2010/02/2009-...of-the-clones/

They are not right at all...Honda is much more beautiful and sexier than the Prius,....
I hope you are kidding, the insight is a real black eye for honda.....Have you ever read Clarkson's review?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...ffset=0&page=1

Much has been written about the Insight, Honda’s new low-priced hybrid. We’ve been told how much carbon dioxide it produces, how its dashboard encourages frugal driving by glowing green when you’re easy on the throttle and how it is the dawn of all things. The beginning of days.
So far, though, you have not been told what it’s like as a car; as a tool for moving you, your friends and your things from place to place.
So here goes. It’s terrible. Biblically terrible. Possibly the worst new car money can buy. It’s the first car I’ve ever considered crashing into a tree, on purpose, so I didn’t have to drive it any more.
The biggest problem, and it’s taken me a while to work this out, because all the other problems are so vast and so cancerous, is the gearbox. For reasons known only to itself, Honda has fitted the Insight with something called constantly variable transmission (CVT).

It doesn’t work. Put your foot down in a normal car and the revs climb in tandem with the speed. In a CVT car, the revs spool up quickly and then the speed rises to match them. It feels like the clutch is slipping. It feels horrid.
And the sound is worse. The Honda’s petrol engine is a much-shaved, built-for-economy, low-friction 1.3 that, at full chat, makes a noise worse than someone else’s crying baby on an airliner. It’s worse than the sound of your parachute failing to open. Really, to get an idea of how awful it is, you’d have to sit a dog on a ham slicer.
So you’re sitting there with the engine screaming its head off, and your ears bleeding, and you’re doing only 23mph because that’s about the top speed, and you’re thinking things can’t get any worse, and then they do because you run over a small piece of grit.
Because the Honda has two motors, one that runs on petrol and one that runs on batteries, it is more expensive to make than a car that has one. But since the whole point of this car is that it could be sold for less than Toyota’s Smugmobile, the engineers have plainly peeled the suspension components to the bone. The result is a ride that beggars belief.
There’s more. Normally, Hondas feel as though they have been screwed together by eye surgeons. This one, however, feels as if it’s been made from steel so thin, you could read through it. And the seats, finished in pleblon, are designed specifically, it seems, to ruin your skeleton. This is hairy-shirted eco-ism at its very worst.
However, as a result of all this, prices start at £15,490 — that’s £3,000 or so less than the cost of the Prius. But at least with the Toyota there is no indication that you’re driving a car with two motors. In the Insight you are constantly reminded, not only by the idiotic dashboard, which shows leaves growing on a tree when you ease off the throttle (pass the sick bucket), but by the noise and the ride and the seats. And also by the hybrid system Honda has fitted.
In a Prius the electric motor can, though almost never does, power the car on its own. In the Honda the electric motor is designed to “assist” the petrol engine, providing more get-up-and-go when the need arises. The net result is this: in a Prius the transformation from electricity to petrol is subtle. In the Honda there are all sorts of jerks and clunks.
And for what? For sure, you could get 60 or more mpg if you were careful. And that’s not bad for a spacious five-door hatchback. But for the same money
....there are 2 more pages on my link....

Have you also read this.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/30/i...nks-it-21-out/

consumer reports.....
Calling it "the most disappointing Honda Consumer Reports has tested in a long time," America's most influential product testing magazine has given extremely poor marks to the Japanese automaker's new Insight hybrid.

In a verdict that reminds us of a certain Jeremy Clarkson review (albeit more kindly worded), Consumer Reports blasted the gas-electric hatchback for its "ride quality, handling, interior noise, acceleration, rear-seat, access, and visibility," consigning the hapless Honda to a 21 out of 22 ranking among other small hatchbacks and wagons. Tallying a road test score of 54 points, it was trailed only by the widely panned Dodge Caliber, which managed just 49 points.

Despite the fact that it won't receive a much-coveted CR "Recommended" nod, the Insight still managed to post a "Good" overall road test score (largely on the strength of its 38 miles-per-gallon as-tested fuel economy). Regardless, it was comprehensively beaten by both the Volkswagen Jetta Wagon and the Hyundai Elantra Touring, which scored 80 and 79 points, respectively.

The Insight was the only vehicle in CR's test group to not to be Recommended, save Kia's Soul, which was excluded because the organization hasn't compiled any reliability data on the vehicle yet.
Sorry if you own one but the cars a fail.....all that being said, atleast your brakes work........
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
New User

It seems there is a continuation to previous talk...
http://www.cars-10.com/2010/02/toyot...s-honda-sells/

I really liked the title, it seems that suddenly there will be changes in the market in favor to Honda and its technology....