Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

K24 Insight

 
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Default K24 Insight

Hello all,

I am gathering parts to put a K24 into an Insight. I have been gathering info from many different locations but wanted to know if there was a build thread or website that documented other peoples issues with the swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Proawemike is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 AM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
4piston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Indianapolis, USA
Posts: 4,559
Default Re: K24 Insight

Innovate makes a mount kit, although the rear mount could use some reinforcing. Its straight drop in with those mounts.

You need to get either EP3 or RSX knuckles, then choose a strut with a large shaft (required for Mcpherson strut) and make your own lower control arm to tie it all together. It isn't difficult and a chassis fab shop should be able to help.

Last of all, call Driveshaft shop and have them make you axles. You will have to take a measurement once the motor and suspension is in place.


Good luck.
4piston is offline  
Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM
  #3  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
spAdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boat on a Hill, CA
Posts: 7,048
Default Re: K24 Insight

LHT K-Sight

http://www.lhtperformance.net/documents/DSC00827.jpg


I still wish it were practical/possible to retrofit the IMA onto other motors... Sign me up for a K20/24 with regenerative braking and push to pass! A guy can dream, right?

They also did a KR-Z apparently, didn't know that. That's what happens when you stop reading the magazines I guess
spAdam is offline  
Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
 
brian g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,315
Default Re: K24 Insight

Originally Posted by spAdam View Post

I still wish it were practical/possible to retrofit the IMA onto other motors... Sign me up for a K20/24 with regenerative braking and push to pass! A guy can dream, right?

They also did a KR-Z apparently, didn't know that. That's what happens when you stop reading the magazines I guess
The K with an IMA would be way too wide for the Insight's narrow frame rails. You'd have an easier time putting the V6 with IMA in.
brian g is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 AM
  #5  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Default Re: K24 Insight

Originally Posted by 4piston View Post
Innovate makes a mount kit, although the rear mount could use some reinforcing. Its straight drop in with those mounts.

You need to get either EP3 or RSX knuckles, then choose a strut with a large shaft (required for Mcpherson strut) and make your own lower control arm to tie it all together. It isn't difficult and a chassis fab shop should be able to help.

Last of all, call Driveshaft shop and have them make you axles. You will have to take a measurement once the motor and suspension is in place.


Good luck.
4Piston,

The rear mount on the Innovate system is weak? Can you elaborate?

As for the knuckles and lower control arms I have seen people modify the RSX spindles to accept the Insight taper joint. Have you ever seem that done? Also, people apparently have used EM2 axles.

I am just trying to get a handle on what parts actually work and what parts I should avoid. If I have to go all custom, so be it, I would just like to know before I go buy parts that I won't be able to use.

Brian, I know we don't know eachother, but I sent you a message on facebook asking some of these questions if you are willing to help clear up some of these issue.

Thanks everyone,
Mike
Proawemike is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 AM
  #6  
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
spAdam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boat on a Hill, CA
Posts: 7,048
Default Re: K24 Insight

Originally Posted by brian g View Post
The K with an IMA would be way too wide for the Insight's narrow frame rails. You'd have an easier time putting the V6 with IMA in.
That's only one on a long list of reasons that it's not really doable. It would be fun if it was though.
spAdam is offline  
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
jealous1shateric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: spfld, ma, usa
Posts: 17
Default Re: K24 Insight

I have a k20 Insight (Gen 1) street car 90% done . Car runs and drives you can email me [email protected] for more information.
jealous1shateric is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
80 dolla crx hf
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid
299
04-29-2019 12:35 PM
speedjunkyz
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012)
4
03-18-2013 04:33 PM
newtothescene
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002)
4
02-17-2008 09:56 AM
yesSIR-S
For Sale
2
07-16-2007 08:07 PM
B2FiNiTY
Acura TL, RL & ZDX
2
11-14-2004 09:02 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K24 Insight


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: