Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Rail Dust on my first ever Honda and brand new off the lot

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard of people having bought a Honda, or any car, with it having rail dust in the paint?

I bought a 2016 Honda Fit, in white, and a year later (now) I noticed little red/golden/yellow spots all over. I took it to the dealership and they told me it's rail dust that lands on the vehicle during transportation. They said they will lead to rust. If I had known of this, I wouldn't have bought the vehicle. And I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted that... I had just got rid of my first car that I had been driving since I was 18-years-old, for 12 years, and I was so excited to get my first brand new car (my previous one was used.) I had deterred between buying a semi-used car that would cost me around 10k less or brand new. My old car had put me through so many mechanic visits that I just wanted something that I knew hadn't been mistreated (skipped oil changes, driven rough, ect.

I have a friend who's wife is a lawyer and is going to try and help me figure out what I can do. Until then, I thought I would come here to see if anyone has had this experience or know of others who have.

Am I worrying too much about my new car rusting out? Does this actually happen? Could I ask my dealership to give it a clay polishing a couple of times a year?

Also... when I took it to the dealership, they offered to clay buff and polish it. I said okay. The next day I got a voicemail saying that all of the spots were gone. When I picked up my car, I asked the guy to look over my car with me. While it did look way better than when I dropped it off, eventually I found more spots. The guy said that they must have popped up after they had worked on it because they were definitely all gone and that they had about 4 people working on the car. It's getting looked at in a couple of weeks by someone else in the body shop.

Last edited by toyomatt84; 10-10-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rail Dust on my first ever Honda and brand new off the lot

More than likely over worrying, but kinda shitty situation for sure. Claying and buffing the car should have corrected the car but let's face it, dealership detailers usually aren't the best or most caring. Possibly take it to a true professional in car detailing and get a second opinion.