Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Racing A FIT (JunTec)

sick *** car
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Racing A FIT (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and our Civics are econoboxes made for driving on the streets and getting good gas mileage. Like it or not, that's what we have. Racing them is an afterthought. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I completely understand what you're saying, and I agree for the most part. But let me restate my initial presentation as I feel your reply is straying from my original point.

I was trying to point out that the EG in particular has a slight advantage in terms of racing/modification potential (within limits of course) when compared to the Fit. I don't think the EG is just another 'average' econobox beater when compared to Honda's entire car line.

Consider for one moment the '96-00 Integra Type R. This car was mostly designed as a sort of an economic race car, one that is practicle and affordable for the every day driver. The fact that a '92 Civic CX has essentially the same platform as an ITR, but with less weight, brings me to the conclusion that this car is in fact a step above the 'average econobox' that Honda has thus far designed. The EG simply has more potential in its design - whether or not this was Honda's intention.

I do NOT think the FIT has these same inherent attributes of performance when compared to the EG, or any other somewhat recent Honda.

Now, when I compare the EG to the ITR, please know that in NO way am I implying that the ITR is the best performance car out there. I'm just noting that it's intended design was based on economic performance, and since the EG shares the same design, it too can be considered an aspired performance platform. Thus my conclusion is that the Fit should be more accustomed towards the "grocery getter" theme, while the EG, on the other hand, can be considered a step above average in the world of Honda; however, I fully respect that this same car also has many limitations, because the basis of it's design probably wasn't meant for anything above and beyond.

Again, I am not trying to start an argument. I have nothing but respect for people who want to buy and/or race a Fit. I'm only stating that the Fit, IMO, seems to have a lesser chassis design over Honda's previous platforms - thus it seems somewhat bleak to advertise it as an aspiring race car when Honda has already designed far more aggressive cars that are already in the same, or lower, price category.

Simply put, I think this particular advertisement, which is being presented through Spoon, is a joke. Nothing more, nothing less.

Modified by MrTodd at 9:30 PM 1/20/2006
Old 01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing A FIT (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It won't be, necessarily. The Spoon Fit is a marketing ploy/introductory effort to get west coast looking forward to the car's arrival this spring or summer.

People are already joking about an "H6" classification in Honda Challenge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In comparison next to the CTR, the wheel base looks like its a good 70-80% of what the former civic wheel base is. Anyone up for some mini cooper sideways action?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Racing A FIT (MrTodd)

I think the golden era of Honda's sport compacts came to a dismal end when they released the EP3.

I'm going to ignore the obvious improvements in safety and luxury but the Hondas that we as enthusiasts hoped to have evolved will remain and in some ways have already become classics.

Safety and emission standards as well as Hondas need to manufacture cars to allure future buyers do not stem on pleasing the 2% of us who like to tune. It's something that we as enthusiasts and even tuners have to adapt to.

It's great to see Honda trying with the new Si.... but it's going to be another production cycle or so before we start seeing the backyard innovations (ie. How to remove ALL your airbags without setting them off!) we've come to enjoy from tuning the late '80s to recently departed models.

I for one would like to see the Fit become an accepted member on and off the track as I recognize the Civic name has already grown up....for those screaming in agony about this, I'd hate to see what it will be like if you should be blessed with daughters

Maybe in the next 5yrs I'll start on a Fit.... let depreciation make it less painful for me to strip everything out - to go swap paint with such classics as the 1992 Honda Civic

Old 01-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i likey
Old 01-23-2006, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This could definitely be the new CRX, it's (relatively) light, it's cheap, bigger engines can be swap in with relative ease. That's the receipe that made the CRX a great tuner's car, I can see this car becoming a tuner favorite ina few years (when the used cars are cheap).
Old 01-23-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Racing A FIT (RagingAngel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagingAngel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the golden era of Honda's sport compacts came to a dismal end when they released the EP3.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is true in a sense but honda cant be building civic s w/SLA front suspension and IRS and also compete w/corollas et al and hope to win in market share.

the fit is an economy car that is targeting first time car buyers. its cheap to run and MAINTAIN. now if these buyers decides to race it, i think it has a better chance than the upcoming yaris et al.

the time for the EG has passed and gone.

that is the answer to all your questions.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (diulay_pkjai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fit is an economy car that is targeting first time car buyers. its cheap to run and MAINTAIN. now if these buyers decides to race it, i think it has a better chance than the upcoming yaris et al.

the time for the EG has passed and gone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Back in October, I sold my nationally competitive 1993 Civic DX Coupe (B16 and other goodies to run in the SCCA Street Modified autocross class) to take delivery of a new 2006 Civic LX Coupe to also compete nationally with (this time in H Stock against the base MINI Cooper). Owning the two cars, I can understand what a lot of people are referring to about the older chassis vs. newer chassis and their econobox status, etc., etc....

However, the Fit in my opinion will need a lot more suspension tuning than my new car because it is narrow, tall, and features a really poor F/R weight distribution, even for a FWD car; AND that's with the tiny L15! I'd hate to see the percentage with a K20 or some forced induction setup on there... It'd be even worse if someone gutted the interior! I'd be really interested to see cornerweight figures, shock valving info, and spring rates on the Fit race cars that exist already.

Additionally, the Fit has a rear suspension similar to that of the 3rd gen Civic / 1st gen CRX. While it worked on those older cars, they were still 500 ~ 700 lbs. lighter than the Fit and they sat significantly lower in overall height.

In comparison, assuming the two cars were BONE STOCK, my 2006 LX Coupe is within 2" in ANY dimension compared to the 1993 DX Coupe and it sits roughly 300 lbs. heavier than the old car. Again, in BONE STOCK trim with things like power steering, ABS, cruise, a radio, A/C, a bunch of safety and convenience things, a decently powerful engine and transmission and one can see this isn't that bad an increase considering these are all elements that my 1993 DX lacked.

On top of that, Honda revised enough of the MacPherson setup up front (and the overall geometry of things front and rear) that I feel the new FG chassis will outperform a 5th or 6th gen car even in stock trim.

Notice that I have left out "modified" cars like my 1993 as I am trying to compare apples to apples and defend the fact that newer cars aren't necessarily a step in the wrong direction as many are making it out to be.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (honda93)

Yeah I see exactly what you are saying. Many people are hyping up the Fit because of the Spoon Fit and they do so for the wrong reason. An extreme amount of money is needed to make this car competitive. Spoon no doubt spent millions of yen or thousands of dollars to make the Fit competitive. The overall design does show promise such as the structural design but the height is the killer. I have to tip my hat if some one decides to race a Fit because that shows determination and let's face it it would be kick ***.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (helmetDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by helmetDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have to tip my hat if some one decides to race a Fit because that shows determination and let's face it it would be kick ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>i personally know it takes serious dedication to make a good competitive track car, be it my 90 CRX, a Fit or any other cars on the market today. If you guys really want stock corner weight figures and such just say so because i'm sure CanuckR will let me use his scales for a case of beer I've personally decided that i can keep my CRX as my track **** but the Fit will be my DD and maybe a autox car if my crx is down. I've already been in contact with a shop that my friend works at about some parts for the Fit when I get it. I looks like we are going to install some Tein Hi-Tech springs, and I plan on devloping some parts for these cars like exhausts and intake componets. I cant really see a ton of power being put out of these motors becasue, like teh D-Series motors, they just arn't designed with max power in mind. Look forward to some small quanity parts coming from me and Suja1 Motoring in the future for these cars
Old 01-24-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Re: (onePOINTsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onePOINTsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Look forward to some small quanity parts coming from me and Suja1 Motoring in the future for these cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can't wait. I want to add some lowering springs and a nice set of wheels. If you develop an exhaust for the Fit I will be interested.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (helmetDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by helmetDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I see exactly what you are saying. Many people are hyping up the Fit because of the Spoon Fit and they do so for the wrong reason. An extreme amount of money is needed to make this car competitive. Spoon no doubt spent millions of yen or thousands of dollars to make the Fit competitive. The overall design does show promise such as the structural design but the height is the killer. I have to tip my hat if some one decides to race a Fit because that shows determination and let's face it it would be kick ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Fit that raced in the T-Hill 25hours race (the one posted here) was built by Opak racing here in the US. http://www.opakracing.com. It ran in the E3 class where it's classed against ITB/ITC type cars.

So the Fit was probably a good "Fit" for this class. Now also remember that there are gas tank size restrictions on Endurance racers. So if the Fit is getting an average of 20mpg on the track and is turning time only slighly slower than the CRX's it has the advantage of less pit stops for gas. The Fit used only 100 gallons of gas. The one car that beat it in its class ran a best lap time of 02:12.7, the fit ran a best lap time of 02:18.8 (over 6 seconds a lap slower!) Obviously in a sprint race the Fit would have it's *** handed to it by all the other cars in E3 class, but it's fuel mialage gave it an advantage. I don't thing there's too much money into the Fit at least when compared to other cars in it's class. It seems to have the basic safety mods, suspension mods.

Nobody is saying that if you buy a Fit and race it it'll be faster than a car that's not in it's class (i.e. EG Civic). They are saying that they are cheap, and are proven to be reliable (25-hours of straight track racing = durable!). At this point I don't see any class in NASA or SCCA club racing that the Fit would fit into for sprint races, but if there's enough interest there could always be a "Spec Fit" class. It doesn't matter how fast the Fit is if it's competing against other Fits right?

See also the Canadian Echo Cup. Nobody said it's fast, but it's close racing and cheap too.

EDIT.... oh one more thing to mention. It came in 2nd out of 3 cars. The 3rd car must have broken down because it only ran 77 laps. The Fit ran 546 laps, and the 1st place car ran 590 laps. Food for thought

Oh and one more interesting fact ... the car that won the E3 class has the same colors as the Spoon Fit, but on opposite ends of the car weird

Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: (nonsense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonsense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Fit that raced in the T-Hill 25hours race (the one posted here) was built by Opak racing here in the US. http://www.opakracing.com. It ran in the E3 class where it's classed against ITB/ITC type cars.

So the Fit was probably a good "Fit" for this class. Now also remember that there are gas tank size restrictions on Endurance racers. So if the Fit is getting an average of 20mpg on the track and is turning time only slighly slower than the CRX's it has the advantage of less pit stops for gas. The Fit used only 100 gallons of gas. The one car that beat it in its class ran a best lap time of 02:12.7, the fit ran a best lap time of 02:18.8 (over 6 seconds a lap slower!) Obviously in a sprint race the Fit would have it's *** handed to it by all the other cars in E3 class, but it's fuel mialage gave it an advantage. I don't thing there's too much money into the Fit at least when compared to other cars in it's class. It seems to have the basic safety mods, suspension mods.

Nobody is saying that if you buy a Fit and race it it'll be faster than a car that's not in it's class (i.e. EG Civic). They are saying that they are cheap, and are proven to be reliable (25-hours of straight track racing = durable!). At this point I don't see any class in NASA or SCCA club racing that the Fit would fit into for sprint races, but if there's enough interest there could always be a "Spec Fit" class. It doesn't matter how fast the Fit is if it's competing against other Fits right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow if they seriously only used 100 gallons of gas i give them i was working the gas pumps for 16 hours on saturday into early sunday and i know in that time the ESX STI came to fill up two 55 gallon drums on 4 occasions!!! i know the RL had a 35 gallon tank (the limit for that race) and i wouldnt be suprsied if the FIT had a 35 gallon tank also.

i know if i wasnt still in college and broke as hell i would buy a FIT in april. i like them and they are cheap. nothing compares in my opinion for $13000. 4drs, lots of people, put a rack on top and me and all my friends can cruise to tahoe and get 35 mpg to go snowboarding

as for the people that are comparing it to an EG and such...there is no comparison, differant cars, designed in differant generations, with the same goal in mind (economy, no one should say the EG was designed to be a race car...)
i would never (unless i somehow become rich) be able to afford a dedicated EG for track and another car for daily driving. therefore if i got a fit, YES i would mod it, and yes i would race it at thunderhill etc etc. nice sticky r compounds, rear disc conversion, suspension and i think i woudl be satisfied (gauranteed go around quicker than my current EG9)

i read an interview with someone from spoon about their fit in japan (not above 25hr one) and they have managed 125hp. i wish i had the link but i dont
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoryTurner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoryTurner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i read an interview with someone from spoon about their fit in japan (not above 25hr one) and they have managed 125hp. i wish i had the link but i dont </TD></TR></TABLE>

Enjoy

http://hondatuningmagazine.com...onfit/
Old 01-30-2006, 02:52 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (RagingAngel)

i'm liking it especially with those slipstreams
Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to let you guys know LemansKarting in Fremont California actually has the spoon sports honda fit on display. Come on down and check it out and do some kart racing too. http://www.lemanskarting.com
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr_Snrub)

Fit is Fit The new Civic Si's suspension looks very similar to the Fit and I guess it's built according the Fit's platform.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AJ PwR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJ PwR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fit is Fit The new Civic Si's suspension looks very similar to the Fit and I guess it's built according the Fit's platform.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weird how they figured out how to place the damn steering linkages nice and low(er) on the Fit but they totally screwed the enthusiasts in the bunghole with the EP3 and DC5.

go GD3s!! ....but long live the 5th/6th and 3rd gen Civics/Integras....
Old 02-05-2006, 11:23 AM
I <3 My CB7.

Default Re: (93civic_sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93civic_sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I love the spoon fit I remember reading that artice a while back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same, i think it was in........super street or import tuner.

i just glanced over it thinking it was another EP or something..wasn't paying attention.

lol