Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Purpose of Metal Loop welded to Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purpose of Metal Loop welded to Gas Tank

I have a 2015 Honda Fit. Underneath the rear bumper there is a metal loop which appears to be welded to the gas tank. Does anyone know what it's for? I assume it has something to do with either towing or tying down the vehicle, but I don't see anything about it in the owner's manual. I'd like to know how much load can be applied to it. If this loop was welded to the frame, I'd be more comfortable putting some pressure on it, but with it welded to what appears to be the gas tank, I'm hesitant to use it for anything.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Purpose of Metal Loop welded to Gas Tank

Without seeing a photo of what exactly you are talking about, I think you are getting the fuel tank mixed up with the floor/trunk "pan", typically your spare tire sits in it. Basically every Honda & Acura I have seen has a tow point attached there at the rear lower part of the car.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:49 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah that'd be a tie down/tow point.

What exactly are you trying to do, putting load on it?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys,
Now that I think about it, you're probably right that it's attached to the floor of the spare tire "pan".

As far was what I was hoping to do with the metal loop, I was hoping to use the weight of the car as an anchor for a come-along jack i was using to apply tension to a palm tree stump I was hacking out of the ground. I ended up using a longer rope and attaching to a tree, so it's become a moot point.

I still find it odd that Honda doesn't mention this loop in the towing section. That section of the owner's manual says you should either use a flat bed truck or a lift under the front wheels. So if that's the way it should be towed, why include a tow "hook" at the rear of the vehicle?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:55 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

It's more of a tie down point when towing on a flatbed
Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by William Larson
Thanks guys,

I still find it odd that Honda doesn't mention this loop in the towing section. That section of the owner's manual says you should either use a flat bed truck or a lift under the front wheels. So if that's the way it should be towed, why include a tow "hook" at the rear of the vehicle?
What is included in an "owner's manual" is general information for an owner. The owner's manual is not a service manual, even though it may or may not include basic service information.

The loop serves as a tow hook and/or a rear jack point for a floor jack, etc. A tow truck driver at times may still need to use a towing winch to pull the car out of a ditch or on to a flat bed, which may still require utilization of the tow hook. A mechanic can also use the rear tow hook as a jack point for a floor jack, etc.