Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

I have a 2007 base Fit with Auto. the power steering randomly fails to come on when I start the car. the little yellow steering wheel light comes on. It always happens during cold starts and the cure is turning the car off and starting it again. All but one time this worked, than I had to repaet this excercise 3 times. I left it at the dealer's and they were unable to duplicate the problem and said they couldn't diagnose it unless they could. I called American Honda and they claimed they didn't know of a problem, no service bulletins have been issued, and they suggested I leave the car with the dealer for 3 days. They did give me a case #.I have 36K on the vehicle and it will be warrentied until the problem has been corrected i have been assured.. I hope eventually there will be a recall. Other fit owners are having this problem. Anyone else dealing with this? How about dash board rattles? Its annoying as hell! thanks!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power Steering Problem (captainrich)

I dont have any rattles on my 08. I haven't had any issues with the power steering. I also haven't heard of anyone saying they have had issues besides you. Sorry man. Definately stick with it though and make sure they do something about it.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Problem (captainrich)

Unfortunately, the dealer really can't do much unless they can replicate the problem, since there is no way to pinpoint the failure if nothing is failing at that time. This is unfortunately the worst part about diagnosing a "random" failure, and is always frustrating for both the customer and the dealer.

If there are multiple documented instances of this problem, Honda may already be working on it and would issue a technical service bulletin once they determined the best solution for it, but until that time, the best thing you can do is to leave your car at the dealer for a few days for them to check it out. Hopefully the problem will occur for them while they have the car.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Problem

My brother just had the same problem this morning...same condition, same issue on a 2010...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Power Steering Problem

I have read posts from several owners whose power steering intermittent failures actually WERE diagnosed at dealer service shops. Fit power steering is controlled by the "Electronic Power Steering" (EPS) module. It is a little "black box" mounted to the interior firewall behind the lower part of the dashboard (positioned in the center area just ahead of where the center console gfoes under the dash). I have read 3 or 4 stories about EPS failure. This is not on the scale of Toyota's accelerator problems, but if it happens to you, it is just as dangerous and aggravating.

This is a rare, but KNOWN problem. Electronic relays have test procedures to check for malfunctions. If anyone has intermittent power steering failures, you should take it in to a dealer for warranty repair and tell the Service Manager WHAT the EPS module is, and WHERE it is, and demand that it be bench-tested and be replaced if it does not test at 100% reliability. The fact that you came in knowing the most likely cause of the problem and are telling the techs how to investigate it should get more of their attention than most owners do.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have a 2007 Fit. Just had one of the seats repaired @ the dealer. They put tape around the cushion to prevent the seat from rubbing and making a terribly annoying sound.

The dashboard rattles and is worse when you hit bumps!!

Last year they had to pull the floorboard on the drivers side and replace a wiring harness that was prone to failure if the harness got wet from snow melt, rain...

Now this:

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-hon...,6139523.story

What's next? This car was in Japan and Europe for several years before it came ot the US? WTF!! Time for a change. Maybe, I 'll buy a Toyota and get a sticky gas pedal. Keep your old cars folks, cause anything new is junk.!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

None of which has ANYTHING to do with power steering problems- the title of the thread. I hate these idiots who **** and moan about a dozen things that don't relate to the subject of conversation.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is what it is bro. Do you own a Fit? What did your post have to do with the power steering problem? Why are you even commenting on this? Is that all you do is meander around on this site and bitch about what everyone's comments are. Why don't you kiss my *** and find something to do.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More pissing and moaning. In your own words: "Time for a change". BUY a Toyota- then you can spend your time pissing and moaning on their forums. You will have more reasons for the p&m.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. if you all think those are major issues, you probably shouldn't even own a car..

steering issue? yeah, if it happened to me i could understand. but after 2 years and 43k miles, not a single issue yet. no rattles, no steering problems, no nothing..

this is too the first time i've heard of an issue with the steering. good luck and hopefully like manxman said, help them diagnose it. like a doctor, the more information you can give them, the better off they are at actually fixing the problem. if you bring a car in and tell them it's making a strange noise, it's like telling a doctor you have a runny nose, and that's it.. tell me what's wrong..

it's your service departments' job to fix your car, but it's also your job to help your service department do a better job.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

hahaha ur ****ed
Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=E-AT_me;41447949]wow. if you all think those are major issues, you probably shouldn't even own a car..

Thanks for the wisdom in your post.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=manxman;41448701]
Originally Posted by E-AT_me
wow. if you all think those are major issues, you probably shouldn't even own a car..

Thanks for the wisdom in your post.
hey, i speak from experience. i own a 1987 F150 where in one year the brake lines started leaking and my fuel tank seal started leaking. the alternator wires almost caught fire, (which is a common problem because the power wires are nothing but two 10 gauge wires) so i switched out to a one wire alternator.

just sayin. there is much worse issues.

my coworkers 2001 BMW 3 series coupe popped the spotwelds on one of the gas tank straps last week.. even the best have issues..
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And then compare experiences with one of the worst cars ever on the road- the 1990 Ford Taurus. I won't list all of the component failures, just the worst one. The car had extremely heavy steering to begin with, but while driving home through the mountains one afternoon, my wife could no longer keep the car going straight. It severely yawed left and right, with the feeling that the right front tire had become a square. She left the car on the side of the road and hitched home.

As soon as I heard about the problem, I threw a floor jack into my truck and went to investigate. The stock right front wheel had broken all but one of the welds that hold the center disc to the rim, and the remaining weld had bent to allow the rim and tire, still holding air, to lean out from the wheel centerline at a 45 degree angle. I put the spare on and took the car to an America's Tire shop to buy cast aluminum rims to replace all of the shitty steel stock rims. The shop techs said that they had never seen such a failure of a stock rim before.

Imagine such a wheel disintegration at 80 mph on a freeway (and she had just left the freeway to get on the mountain roads only 5 miles before the event occurred.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by manxman
I have read posts from several owners whose power steering intermittent failures actually WERE diagnosed at dealer service shops. Fit power steering is controlled by the "Electronic Power Steering" (EPS) module. It is a little "black box" mounted to the interior firewall behind the lower part of the dashboard (positioned in the center area just ahead of where the center console gfoes under the dash). I have read 3 or 4 stories about EPS failure. This is not on the scale of Toyota's accelerator problems, but if it happens to you, it is just as dangerous and aggravating.

This is a rare, but KNOWN problem. Electronic relays have test procedures to check for malfunctions. If anyone has intermittent power steering failures, you should take it in to a dealer for warranty repair and tell the Service Manager WHAT the EPS module is, and WHERE it is, and demand that it be bench-tested and be replaced if it does not test at 100% reliability. The fact that you came in knowing the most likely cause of the problem and are telling the techs how to investigate it should get more of their attention than most owners do.
Thanks! I'll tell my bro!

An just ignore those who are not enough intelligent to understand the question...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 AM
Trial User

Icon4 Re: Power Steering Problem

I too have a problem with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) light when I start the engine in my Honda Civic (55 reg). The light stays on and then the steering becomes heavy so I have to restart the engine, sometimes a couple more times, till it goes off.

This is a long shot but I have been wondering wether its because sometimes I start the engine before putting my seat belt on and have not noticed this issue if my seat belt is on first. It's almost as if the car is refusing to drive unless my seat belt is on or maybe I'm being paranoid, not sure.

The dealer I purchased the car from got their mechanic to look at the car however they couldn't find anything wrong with it, the power steering fluid levels were fine and there was no appearance of any leaks.

Getting the EPS module looked at by Honda sounds like a sensible option, will try that and post results.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marklanham
I too have a problem with the Electric Power Steering (EPS) light when I start the engine in my Honda Civic (55 reg). The light stays on and then the steering becomes heavy so I have to restart the engine, sometimes a couple more times, till it goes off.

This is a long shot but I have been wondering wether its because sometimes I start the engine before putting my seat belt on and have not noticed this issue if my seat belt is on first. It's almost as if the car is refusing to drive unless my seat belt is on or maybe I'm being paranoid, not sure.

The dealer I purchased the car from got their mechanic to look at the car however they couldn't find anything wrong with it, the power steering fluid levels were fine and there was no appearance of any leaks.

Getting the EPS module looked at by Honda sounds like a sensible option, will try that and post results.

In any car with Electronic power steering, there is no "power steering fluid" at all. If your dealer is checking for power steering leaks to fix your problem, you should go to a dealer with more intelligent mechanics.

If you are paying for the time they are spending "looking for power steering leaks", then you are being scammed. Run away!

Last edited by manxman; 07-27-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by manxman
In any car with Electronic power steering, there is no "power steering fluid" at all. If your dealer is checking for power steering leaks to fix your problem, you should go to a dealer with more intelligent mechanics.

If you are paying for the time they are spending "looking for power steering leaks", then you are being scammed. Run away!
Thanks, didn't know that, I don't have a clue when it comes to cars. The dealer couldn't suss it out so they are paying Honda to look at it however the chap I booked it in with didn't know anything about an EPS Module, typical.