Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question on Mileage (bobbart)

I use Lucas Fuel Treatment every tow or three fill ups.

bobbart
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do NOT put fuel additives or Oil additives in your car. They are bogus and a waste of money.

Your problem is technique. Read, practice and learn. Then you will achieve better results.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (Sahwn)

Why NOT put fuel additives or Oil additives in my car? lucas oil is rated very good.

Bobbart
Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will refer you to your owners manual, read the recommendations for that. In short you do not need it. It will do nothing for you.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all,

I just hit 40+ MPG!! So excited!

I put in a K&N drop-in air filter! It definitely gave me some great results! I am quite conservative on the gas, that's probably a factor too.

The air pressure on my tires is 35+/- PSI, and my new full tank of gas will run on 40+ PSI.

40+ MPG is totally possible!! I love the Fit!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (screaminj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screaminj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I put in a K&N drop-in air filter! It definitely gave me some great results! I am quite conservative on the gas, that's probably a factor too.

The air pressure on my tires is 35+/- PSI, and my new full tank of gas will run on 40+ PSI.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you do any hyoermiling techniques, or was this done with just regular driving?

I was able to hit 37 mpg with regular driving (but some SoCal traffic). I should be around 54 mpg on this tank with P&G and FAS.

Get those tires up to 44 psi which should be the max sidewall pressure. It will help a lot.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BudgetFitting)

"hyoermiling techniques"? What does that mean?
"I should be around 54 mpg on this tank with P&G and FAS" What are P&G and FAS?

I got up to 40+, that's regular driving, mostly highway miles at 70 miles per hour speed +/-

You could get 54 MPG??? Is that even possible? How???

I'll try 44 PSI. The max load on those tires are 51 PSI, i believe.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screaminj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"hyoermiling techniques"? What does that mean?
"I should be around 54 mpg on this tank with P&G and FAS" What are P&G and FAS?

You could get 54 MPG??? Is that even possible? How???

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read the first 4 pages of this thread and it will be all the info you need.

Hypermiling techniques are driving styles which extract the most mpg. The P&G is pulse and glide, which is accelerating to a specific speed and coasting until the speed drops to a specific speed and doing it over and over again. FAS is shutting the engine off and coasting when possible, or shutting the engine off at lights.

Read the previous pages, then feel free to ask questions
Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (BudgetFitting)

i got 50mpg in my fit on the way home from work. my personal best. usually it's 42-45mpg based on the weather. i used p&g, FAS, DWB, DFCO, and tailgated a few trucks . not bad for a short 10 mile trip
Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 AM

Default What's wrong with Lucas

I use Lucas Fuel Treatment every two or three fill ups. What's wrong with Lucas Fuel Treatment? It's a Great product.
bobbart

Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BOB - you don't need it - why use it then???

screaminj and to all else - K&N air filter does NOT i repeat does NOT increase your mpg. I know because I tested it against a stock air filter with 15k on it and got the same results. I am personally using the K&N airfilter because I want it for the reuse ability since I put a lot of miles on my car(typically a 130miles a day). View my thread on the K&N air filter vs. Stock air filter:
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums....html
Old 07-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Sahwn, we are talking about Fuel System Cleaners:

Read below what Techron does.

Cleans carburetors Yes
Cleans fuel injectors Yes
Cleans intake valves and ports Yes
Cleans combustion chambers Yes
Restores lost power and performance Yes
Lowers emissions Yes
Relieves cold startup problems Yes
Reduces deposit-related engine knocking and pinging Yes
Cleans sulfur deposits from gas gauge sensors Yes
Protects against fuel system sulfur deposits Yes
Protects gas gauge sensors from malfunctioning Yes
Contains PEA chemistry Yes

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car can't have that much build up yet, can it???

I guess I am of the thought that if it is NOT broke don't fix it.

Also, I wonder how much damage that stuff does if there is nothing for it to clean? Most of these cleaning Chemicals eat seals and that could potentially shorten the life life of the seals and the the life your motor. Also, this stuff would be injected as fuel and if not combusted it would then mix with oil. Would it break down the oil to make it thinner or would it coagulate and make the oil thicker? Either way you look at it, it is a loose loose situation in my Opinion.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this is a smart *** remark but just take it with a grain of salt. See the following, just because it "SAYS" it will do it would you buy it?

http://www.runyourcarwithwater...EBMGg
Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

SAHWN,
Lets play devil's advocate: Lets say if aircraft mechanics starting thinking like you
"if it is NOT broke don't fix it" and the plane is at 30,000 feet and the Fuel Pump goes......what would you say about that?
It's called...prevention, Fuel System Cleaners will keep you car in great shape and prevent the below problems:

Dirty carburetors, Dirty injection systems and so on.

Sahwn, are you a Honda mechanic?
Also, I'm not being a smart *** about your answers or opinions.

Bobbart
Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, not a mechanic by far. Preventative Maintenance (PM) is great and that should apply to everything. However, the PM must used appropriately. PM too early and more frequently can prematurely wear parts, be costly(time and money) and unnecessary. Most industrial equipment have PM plans created by the manufacture and if you deviate from them you will void the warranty whether it be too often(premature wear) or not often enough(premature wear as well).

I do not have the owners manual in front of me but I believe it says this car does not require additives. Only that you need to use 87octane or higher. I will have to look into it later or maybe some one else can chime in on this?

I actually attempted a study on the 89 octane theory because of our higher compression motors and the 89 octane did not prove to be any better.

It is rather a coincidence that the local new station did story last night on Branded gas saying that Branded gas is better because they use additives and won't leave trash in your fuel system. How true that is...........is well another story. I am not too sure I really believe that either. I believe that is more or less due to the UST integrity rather than the gas it self

Oh, thought of another thing, since most of us here are actually trying to achieve better mpg then we will actually make our cars last longer since we are not revving high, overloading the motor with more fuel than need and abusing them. This is a type of PM in it self.

Modified by Sahwn at 8:50 AM 7/2/2008
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Thanks SAHWN for your inputs.

Bobbart
Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, thought of another thing, since most of us here are actually trying to achieve better mpg then we will actually make our cars last longer since we are not revving high, overloading the motor with more fuel than need and abusing them. This is a type of PM in it self. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My thought too, well put.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (YOUalreadyKNOW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YOUalreadyKNOW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got 50mpg in my fit on the way home from work. my personal best. usually it's 42-45mpg based on the weather. i used p&g, FAS, DWB, DFCO, and tailgated a few trucks . not bad for a short 10 mile trip</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think anyone should test their mpg on such short trips. I don't think you'd get an accurate reading because when there's that much fuel in the car, a pump will always allow different amounts of fuel to be pumped back in.

Not sure if that's clear enough to understand but I tried lol.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bob:

I am not trying to be a jerk, sorry if I came off that way. I am up for proof that what you use really works or what anyone does or uses for that matter.

Back to MPG:
In for another tank:

516.5 miles, 9.7 gallons at $3.83 per gallon yields $37.50 for the tank and 53.2mpg baby:

I did more of the pulse and coast(ICE on) except on long coast which I would glide(ICE off). I think I will try not to P&G this entire tank but P&C(ICE on) and see what difference it makes. Also, I did not go as slow as the tank in which I achieved 56mpg which means my technique is getting better.

How bout a pic of drafting a semi going backwards:
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sahwn,
Wow! You rock! I need to learn more about these hypermiling techniques. Right now, i am trying to get up to 45 MPG. I didn't know you could get 50+, that's quite remarkable!

Old 07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is definitely a learning process and practice will only make you better. It is mostly TECHNIQUE and the terrain in which you drive on. Anyone can do, it just depends on how bad you want it.

My wife says, " You don't drive, you just roll around"

I don't use A/C unless it is in the 100's which it was a few weeks ago. I usually drive with the fan on 2 and the windows cracked like 2 inches. Think of it as FAT camp and you want to sweat off the weight.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took off my rear seats earlier tonight. I usually commute by myself, so no sense having those seats back there.

Does anyone know how much the back seats weight? I need to get them on a scale. Hoping to get more MPG now!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha! I laugh because I almost did it when I was only getting like 43mpg. I chose not to because I was too lazy and I didn't have room for them in the garage. I am betting those things weigh around 50-70lbs. They feel heavy as hell when moving them around.

Oh, get this ****! I have been rollin on 45psig and have been for the past 4 tanks! I forgot that I lowered my psig tp 40 for a trip and when I went to inflate them back to 50psig the air pump was a big pain in the *** and I quit at 45psig. I knew the ride felt a little soft. As of tonight I am back at 50psig...............60mpg here I come!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sahwn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My wife says, " You don't drive, you just roll around" </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine too. Many times she will slump down in the seat because she is embarrassed I am going so slow. She said that 8 months ago before when I drove my civic, she said that I would have been pissed at a person who drove like this

Quick Reply: ► "Official" Fuel Economy Thread (Tips and Questions)