Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Wheel Alignment and a Frozen bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Alignment and a Frozen bolt

Hi,

A Honda CRV 2004 4x4 5 door which belongs to my future father in law had cause to have tyres fitted recently. The fitter indicated that the wheel alignment should be checked at the same time.

That sounded good to me and agreed it should be done.

As seems to be a regular thing, the rear alignment bolt Drivers Side is frozen and will not move. The guy at Pep Brothers (I think it was in Randolph) was really helpful and did the best he could.

The question I have is where can the adjuster and other relevany parts like the bushing be sourced in the USA. Preferably New Jersey and around Spring Lake? Can the individual parts be purchased or does it come as an assembly? A supplier with a website would be helpful so I can go have a look at cost etc.

I'm not quite sure what I am looking for as the terminolgy for parts differs here in the UK. Also, its a long time since I messed with cars, I was a motorcycle rider for 30 years until very recently and have an broad understanding of things mechanical

Can anyone help me with this? Grateful if you can.

Thanks

Stuart
Old 04-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel Alignment and a Frozen bolt

Originally Posted by Stuwoolf
Hi,

A Honda CRV 2004 4x4 5 door which belongs to my future father in law had cause to have tyres fitted recently. The fitter indicated that the wheel alignment should be checked at the same time.

That sounded good to me and agreed it should be done.

As seems to be a regular thing, the rear alignment bolt Drivers Side is frozen and will not move. The guy at Pep Brothers (I think it was in Randolph) was really helpful and did the best he could.

The question I have is where can the adjuster and other relevany parts like the bushing be sourced in the USA. Preferably New Jersey and around Spring Lake? Can the individual parts be purchased or does it come as an assembly? A supplier with a website would be helpful so I can go have a look at cost etc.

I'm not quite sure what I am looking for as the terminolgy for parts differs here in the UK. Also, its a long time since I messed with cars, I was a motorcycle rider for 30 years until very recently and have an broad understanding of things mechanical

Can anyone help me with this? Grateful if you can.

Thanks

Stuart
If a few links to some websites in the US will help you out, see these:
https://www.myhondapartsstore.com/au...lower-arm-scat
https://www.1aauto.com/honda-cr-v-el...FYWEaQodG6EIwQ

I'm actually new to the forum, and just lurking about, but maybe someone will chime in with some experienced answers for you. At least you can google some of the part numbers from that Honda site to find a dealer near you. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use rockauto.com for locating a lot of parts, they offer a range of economy, standard, and premium products from all kinds of manufacturers. I try to stick to OEM suppliers and premium parts for the most part on my Hondas. Other cars I sometimes buy junk because the original parts were junk to begin with. Up to you what you decide to do within your budget.

A frozen bolt shouldn't be a big issue. That's why He giveth upon us oxygen and acetylene & the associated regulators and torches, plus SnapOn and Mac impact guns. Failing that, He also giveth drills and taps

I also compare prices from RockAuto to amazon.com and ebay, just to see. And I always reference bernardi honda and majestic honda - sometimes OEM parts ARE actually cheaper than aftermarket.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies.

The schematic is helpful although I'm still not clear which part is which. Also the US terminology is still a mystery.

I had a look at rockauto.com. The alignment kit seems to refer to the front only. My issue is the rear drivers side. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Grateful for any further guidance.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After a bit more searching blindly I have come across the parts in this link

http://www.jcwhitney.com/whiteline-c...9015y2004g16j1

Is this what I should be getting?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies.

The schematic is helpful although I'm still not clear which part is which. Also the US terminology is still a mystery.

I had a look at rockauto.com. The alignment kit seems to refer to the front only. My issue is the rear drivers side. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Grateful for any further guidance.
I was thinking the CR-V rear alignment was NOT adjustable, somewhat like my CR-Z, so I'm not surprised they only have a "front only" kit. But what are the specs on your alignment on the rear? Is toe AND camber out of spec?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by litz
I was thinking the CR-V rear alignment was NOT adjustable, somewhat like my CR-Z, so I'm not surprised they only have a "front only" kit. But what are the specs on your alignment on the rear? Is toe AND camber out of spec?
Thanks for your post.

Dont recall what the readings were. However I do know the adjuster at drivers side rear was jammed solid. Hence the need for a replacement kit.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your post.

Dont recall what the readings were. However I do know the adjuster at drivers side rear was jammed solid. Hence the need for a replacement kit.
Ha, ha! I saw "feadings" before you corrected the typo, and thought I'd have to look up the UK terminology.... Good luck in freeing up that seized up bolt--keeping the in-laws happy!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by litz
Ha, ha! I saw "feadings" before you corrected the typo, and thought I'd have to look up the UK terminology.... Good luck in freeing up that seized up bolt--keeping the in-laws happy!

Its been such a long time since I got the spanners (wrench) out on cars (autos) I forget much of what I knew.

Thats why I'm struggling to identify what I need. Of course this isnt helped by the auto tech at Pep Brothers as his first language was Spanish :lol: That said, he was very helpful.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm how about a picture so we can help you identify it? just reach your arm under the car and snap a photo, then draw an arrow to the part you are asking about.

I literally have no idea what you're asking about, but a pic would go a long way to identifying your mystery part.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bbarbulo
umm how about a picture so we can help you identify it? just reach your arm under the car and snap a photo, then draw an arrow to the part you are asking about.

I literally have no idea what you're asking about, but a pic would go a long way to identifying your mystery part.
Thanks for your reply.

The attached diagram shows the offending adjuster.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just received an email from Bernardi Honda. Thanks bbarbulo.
The parts required are as follows

Bolt. 52387-S7A-000 $7.55 each

Cam plate. 52388-S7A-013 $4.67 each

Nut. 90395-SNA-003 $0.88 each

I guess that explains everything. Thanks for all the replies. Appreciated.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so you are aware, typically when the toe adjuster bolt or any adjuster bolt on a vehicles suspension for that matter is seized, it is typically rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing. Which makes them incredible difficult to remove or loosen without cutting or torching the bolt/bushing and replacing the damaged parts as necessary.

I would have to look into how this is set up on the second generation crvs, but I would imagine there is a bushing that bolt is going through.

A buddy of mine was told the same thing on his 2003 pilot, the shop couldn't break it free, so he brought it home and put his 1300ft lb impact (bigger than what the alignment shop had) on it and broke it loose and was able to reuse the existing bushing and bolt with no issues.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
Just so you are aware, typically when the toe adjuster bolt or any adjuster bolt on a vehicles suspension for that matter is seized, it is typically rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing. Which makes them incredible difficult to remove or loosen without cutting or torching the bolt/bushing and replacing the damaged parts as necessary.

I would have to look into how this is set up on the second generation crvs, but I would imagine there is a bushing that bolt is going through.

A buddy of mine was told the same thing on his 2003 pilot, the shop couldn't break it free, so he brought it home and put his 1300ft lb impact (bigger than what the alignment shop had) on it and broke it loose and was able to reuse the existing bushing and bolt with no issues.
Thank you for this.

I will not be able to do the job so it will go to a workshop. When the tracking was attempted initially it was the mechanic who suggested we source the parts as it would be less expensive. At that time he seemed to be suggesting the replacement of a complete assembly. My lack of Spanish didnt make clear what was being suggested.

Also I was interested in knowing the cost of the parts as my limited experience of mechs in NJ is not great. I like to be forearmed and have an idea of whats involved. My partner will take the car in and at least now she will have a good idea of what the parts cost is.

Thanks again everyone for your input on this.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good chance you will need the bushing with that bolt, plate, nut. I've had to cut/drill/torch and generally mangle that mess under my 01 Civic (which shares the architecture of the rear suspension with the CRV somewhat).

but yeah, I've had a positive experience with Bernardi and Majestic both and continue to deal with them

glad you will have it all sorted out, much cheaper in the long run to have the correct alignment as opposed to wearing down tires constantly.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good chance you will need the bushing with that bolt, plate, nut. I've had to cut/drill/torch and generally mangle that mess under my 01 Civic (which shares the architecture of the rear suspension with the CRV somewhat).

but yeah, I've had a positive experience with Bernardi and Majestic both and continue to deal with them

glad you will have it all sorted out, much cheaper in the long run to have the correct alignment as opposed to wearing down tires constantly.
Yes I have been thinking about the bushing. Not sure what I'm looking for.

In this diagram I'm assuming its the part numbered 19/21? Its from https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-car...__2900/4/19524

Grateful for some guidance on this.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I have been thinking about the bushing. Not sure what I'm looking for.

In this diagram I'm assuming its the part numbered 19/21? Its from https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-car...__2900/4/19524

Grateful for some guidance on this.
....maybe its the part number 14?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Trial User

Is it similar to a 03 RSX? I am still confused about what I need to do and my post has not gotten any attention yet. My rear toe is frozen and off by almost an entire degree.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same issue on 2004 Pilot and 2006 CRV, driver side rear bolt seized inside the bushing sleeve (#14 in the diagram). The passenger side probably benefits from being near the exhaust and didn't seize in either of my cars.

In both cases the alignment bolt head snapped off. In both cases I had to cut the bolt and lower control arm with an angle grinder/sawsall - careful not to cut into the knuckle. This left the bushing in the wheel knuckle with the remains of the alignment bolt still in the bushing. I had to drill a series of holes in a circular pattern thru the rubber in the bushing until the center part of the bushing & remaining alignment bolt came out. This leaves the outer sleeve of the bushing still in the knuckle. Using a hack saw blade, I cut thru bushing outer sleeve (but not the knuckle) and it easily pushed it out. (basically the lower control arm, alignment bolt and bushing were sacrificed).

I then pushed in the new bushing using grade 8 bolts, washers to draw in the new bushing, I used my crank pulley tool to help seat the bushing (but a large socket would work). Also, found a used Honda control arm on Ebay for a reasonable price. Note: thoroughly lube the bushing sleeve and knuckle.

I also, added an adjustable upper control link so the camber could be adjusted.

Also, never apply heat to the knuckle, this can ruin the wheel bearing grease.

Name:  IMG_2011.JPG
Views: 2499
Size:  4.60 MBName:  IMG_2012.JPG
Views: 2119
Size:  1.96 MBName:  IMG_2015.JPG
Views: 2066
Size:  3.30 MB