Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Radiator Cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Cooling fan issue

Hello,

Have a 2011 CR-V loaded with AC. Other day was driving in DC with AC on which was working fine. 94 degrees out, we got stuck in some rust hour traffic, temp guage is usually 2 blocks below half. It rose to 3 blocks over and the 5 over. Never hit max hot all the way to the right, car never over heated. Once we got moving slowly the temp guage finally returned to normal. I have never seen the radiator cooling fan operate under any conditiions. If you turn the AC on the condensor fan immediately comes on and cycles on and off as necessary. Prior to this latest event we had some AC work done ...having the condensor replaced and AC recharged. Since that occured for a variety of reasons I have been doing some trouble shooting, here is what I have found. The underhood fuse for the condensor fan was missing so I replaced it, now the fan works. The under hood fuse for the radiator cooling fan was blown I replaced it. I then ran 12V directly to the radiator cooling fan and it came on, so the fan is ok. I then swapped the fan relays to make sure they are ok and they are. I believe my next step should be to isolate/jump whichever sensor controls the radiator fan and see if that lets the fan turn on. If so, I know i have a bad sensor. QUESTION : Which sensor controls the radiator cooling fan ??? As best I can tell there is a sensor next to where the upper radiator hoses goes into the block on the right side. There is also a sensor on the bottom of the radiator. I am not sure if either of these is the one to test. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!!

steve
Old 05-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Cooling fan issue

Coolant Fan Switch Sensor, center bottom of radiator.

Jump the switch, fans go on, replace Sensor.

30$ @ advance before discounts.