Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2005 CRV EX - difficult starting - replaced your starter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CRV EX - difficult starting - replaced your starter?

So I picked up this CRV a few months back and all was fine up until last week. I noticed that the engine was having difficulty cranking, and my first thought was to jump the car. Didn't do it for a few days, but it just seemed slow when it cranked. If you've ever had a battery reach end of life, you know that slow crank thing. Put in a new battery and zoom, back to fast cranking. Anyway, the Honda battery tested bad according to the parts store, and in a brilliant flash of the stupid I did not have them check the charging system or the starter. Replaced the battery and the car started first tiime *but* it just didn't have that zippy start I would expect from a new battery. Hmmm, we'll see. Well a few days later I need to run out and car won't crank. After a few tries, it started (runs fine after that). So, I know something is off, just a matter of tracking it down.

So, to the lazy starter and the point of the post: I've seen two approaches to swap out the starter posted here. The first is to get to the start from the top - lots of stuff to remove, coolant hoses in the way, etc. This seems to be the more "how to" video for this process. I also came across a "from the bottom" approach. You had to remove the gravel shield, but then you have immediate access to the starter - guy said took him 45 minutes.

Anyone actually swapped the starter from the bottom? Thoughts?
Old 09-17-2017, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 CRV EX - difficult starting - replaced your starter?

I have a 2005 manual crv that had a "lazy" starter also. I also first replaced the battery since it was the original. It improved alittle but it gets worse during the winter. So I looked this issue up and its common on other hondas as well. Mostly in accords from what i was finding. And people were saying they replaced there starters and it improved. But I did not want to trust a rebuild starter from any parts store because of the amount of work to get to it. What a shitty job/engineering for honda to put a wear and tear part in that place.

Anyway, I also read that someone did it from the bottom alone. I investigated before jumping into it and no matter what, you do have to gain access from the top. Which sucks because there is ALOT to disconnect and move out of the way to get to it.
And in the end you still need extensions, flex joints and hand twisting to work in there.

I didnt replace my starter, I ordered the rebuild kit from honda. The original brushes were worn down bad and it was full of black dust. It did improve the operation. It didnt result in very fast cranking but, it doesnt sound like its struggling or lazy like before.
I had a 2002 auto crv that never had this issue which I found weird.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting.

If you have a moment, could you scan this video and tell me your thoughts?
The only part that worries me is the guy using a 1-1/16" socket... lol, I think a 27mm would work better.

Was shopping for parts, and one video strongly encouraged using the honda oem starter as "tre manufactured" starters had issues too.

FWIW, all cars have personalities, some designed in, some the outcome of design. I'm past that. Years ago I had a Civic (we're going back into the 90s). The oil filter was above the exhaust manifold up against the firewall. I think someone was on crack that day in design. Don't get me started on my wife's Sequoia. In 2007 this thing listed for $44k and it has a chronic history of snapping rear hatch handles (made from plastic). Buy the oem part for $100 (still plastic) or the metal one off ebay for $20. Face palm.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I saw that video before I did mine. I was relieved thinking I dont have to touch anything above. Removing that sensor is not easy. With the a/c compressor and the intake manifold being in the way its tough to get any torgue on that sensor or the hidden/back bolt for the starter. I scraped the idea of removing that sensor and fought removing the back hidden bolt of the starter it was CRANKED on there.
This video made it seem super easy, but it doesnt show the details of where he had his wrenches positioned. And thats the biggest issue for me, yes you can reach in there, but theres zero room to turn a wrench or get good torque on the upper bolt.

U can try from the bottom, I cant say its not possible. Either way you have to remove the bottom splash shield to reach in there. And even though I did most of the work above the starter still came out the bottom.
I dont remember what the honda manual details were, but I didnt disconnect any coolant lines.

And as far as buying rebuild auto parts from a store chain, I had issues with a rebuild distributor on my b18c motor yrs back, I went through 3 in one year until I bought a used oem one and had no problems for 7 yrs after.. Plus u can read reviews of rebuild parts failing earlier then oem. Honda does sell rebuild starters, u just have to bring in the core as usual. But I wanted to try and rebuild it myself. If not I would go honda rebuild over pep boys.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Trial User

i saw a video on youtube that really helped me out, not sure which way is better but this is a good and quick option, heres the link