Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

*Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: Max tire size. 04'

Originally Posted by V04
I just got an 04' crv with stock suspension on 15" wheels. Can anyone shed some light on max size General Grabber will fit without causing any issues? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
If you'd take the time to read through some of this thread, you'd see a picture of a 2nd gen CRV with 235/75/15's on stock wheels. Reportedly has no issues. Not sure if they were General Grabbers.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V04
I just got an 04' crv with stock suspension on 15" wheels. Can anyone shed some light on max size General Grabber will fit without causing any issues? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
i put 225/75-15 on my stock 2003 ex wheels ... ... close in the rear to inside but fits fine

just an FYI I had the grabbers at mine and hated them ... extremely noisy tire ... so much so I returned then and put cooper all terrains on ... there quiet compared to the generals

one thing to keep in mind is if you decide to lift it at all you will have to switch to lower offset wheels to clear rear strut tower
Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Originally Posted by Caoboy
In for dat update!

The wheels would look good on my black V!
me to lol ... alignment guy couldn't do it Friday so I am waiting till Monday ... I will post pics when I have it back
Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little sneak peak ... got off work to late to pick it up ... will get it after work tommarrow
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d-cheeze
i put 225/75-15 on my stock 2003 ex wheels ... ... close in the rear to inside but fits fine

just an FYI I had the grabbers at mine and hated them ... extremely noisy tire ... so much so I returned then and put cooper all terrains on ... there quiet compared to the generals

one thing to keep in mind is if you decide to lift it at all you will have to switch to lower offset wheels to clear rear strut tower

WHAT?!?!?!?!

In NO WAY noisy!
Show us a picture of your tread pattern?

I had complete street stock type tires & then swapped to the General Grabber AT2's & noticed a slight noise when I left the tire shop & since then have driven it on the FWY & the streets & if nobody told me I had AT's on there I would assume street tires.

Here is a tread difference from before & after & I barely noticed any noise difference at all & my wife has not mentioned it at all & she complains about everything!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Little sneak peak ... got off work to late to pick it up ... will get it after work tommarrow
Looks awesome! What wheel offset do you have? I would be so excited to drive that lol
Old 07-18-2017, 03:57 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Now we're talkin, d-cheeze!!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure why they where so noisey ? I have the same tires in 305/50-20 on my wife's Yukon and there dead quiet ???? I was hoping for the same on the crv but alas no .... at 60 mph they where humming like crazy ... I swapped for the coopers and all the noise went away ...coopers are almost as quiet as the regular bridge stones I had on it... i thinking they were just defective
Originally Posted by Blanco'03
WHAT?!?!?!?!

In NO WAY noisy!
Show us a picture of your tread pattern?

I had complete street stock type tires & then swapped to the General Grabber AT2's & noticed a slight noise when I left the tire shop & since then have driven it on the FWY & the streets & if nobody told me I had AT's on there I would assume street tires.

Here is a tread difference from before & after & I barely noticed any noise difference at all & my wife has not mentioned it at all & she complains about everything!

Attached Images    

Last edited by d-cheeze; 07-18-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Smackin
Looks awesome! What wheel offset do you have? I would be so excited to drive that lol
just got back from picking it up ....man what a difference ...handles better and sits noticeably taller ....took it to 80 mph and drives perfect 👌🏽

As for the offset its 15x8 +20 ....sticks out a bit but I love the look ...next week when the spare arrives I am going to plasti-dip the lips on them ...the gold lips with the silver paint isn't working for me
Attached Images    
Old 07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Das sofa king perfection mayne!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure why they where so noisey ? I have the same tires in 305/50-20 on my wife's Yukon and there dead quiet ???? I was hoping for the same on the crv but alas no .... at 60 mph they where humming like crazy ... I swapped for the coopers and all the noise went away ...coopers are almost as quiet as the regular bridge stones I had on it... i thinking they were just defective
I'd love to buy those old rims off you if you still have them?

I was gonna paint my stamp steal wheels black & add chrome rings to them to match the RV that might tow it from time to time & had to return the rings I got being these rims will not take beauty rings.

If you give a me a super deal on your factory aluminum wheels I'll make a trip out of driving all that way to get them?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blanco'03
I'd love to buy those old rims off you if you still have them?

I was gonna paint my stamp steal wheels black & add chrome rings to them to match the RV that might tow it from time to time & had to return the rings I got being these rims will not take beauty rings.

If you give a me a super deal on your factory aluminum wheels I'll make a trip out of driving all that way to get them?
sure ...I am not going to use them ... pm me an offer ... I have all 5 with lugs and factory locks
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One more pic ! . Gonna take it for some light off roading on Sunday
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One more pic ! . Gonna take it for some light off roading on Sunday
I see you're in San Jose also. Where you go soft-roading in these parts? Hollister? Fire roads?

I've had the Cooper Discoverer At3 for over a year and I love them. Still looks good as new, great tire wear, and QUIET. Awesome in the rain, and our type of dirt roads around these parts. Before I was running Grabbers- they were OK, but fastest wearing tires ever made, and annoying on the freeway with tread hum. Chitty on loose dirt also. 20,000 miles and tread looking beat up.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yall have any advice for where yo mount a rocker switch panel? I wanna do it on the roof but I have a sunroof and I don't think I can squeeze it in between that and the dome lights
Old 07-21-2017, 03:24 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

How big of a panel?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Trial User

Default First post, 1997 with spacer lift, control arm clearance issues

Hi, all,

I just lifted my 1st gen CR-V, love the stance, but am having upper control arm to spring clearance issues. That, and both inner CV boots split and started puking out grease. I used spacers from the ebay guys in Canada. They are well made, even powdercoated, which was nice.

This all started when I had to redo the front and rear suspension, due to blown out struts and camber issues on stock suspension. I put in nrew struts, upper control arms, sway bar end links. The research I had done had the rear spacers less than the front. They went in fine, but the fronts were a nightmare. 24 man-hours later, I took it for a test drive and got the expected interference noises.

I have searched through about a dozen pages of this thread, but was wondering if someone can give me some helpful info on how to get the control arms not to rub. I had read the civic lowering camber adjust control arms would help, so I ordered some, but they are too short to even make the ball joint reach the hole. I am running 225/70/15s.
Front looks a little high from this side
Stock control arm with inner flange ground down for clearance
This sid looks more level
Passenger side control arm still hits spring
Old 07-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
How big of a panel?
around a 5 switch rocker
Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HamHandsBill
I see you're in San Jose also. Where you go soft-roading in these parts? Hollister? Fire roads?

I've had the Cooper Discoverer At3 for over a year and I love them. Still looks good as new, great tire wear, and QUIET. Awesome in the rain, and our type of dirt roads around these parts. Before I was running Grabbers- they were OK, but fastest wearing tires ever made, and annoying on the freeway with tread hum. Chitty on loose dirt also. 20,000 miles and tread looking beat up.
yeah I am from San Jose but my shop is in hollister .... hollister is where I go if I want to do local 4 wheelin... I have been a few tims with my wife's Yukon but gonna try out the crv
Old 07-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thought I’d show off ours! Named her Vee after the Orange Is The New Black character. We picked it up back in May for next to nothing as it needed a transmission (dead automatic, shocker). Replaced it, got a bad unit, replaced it again and now all is well. It’s pretty well equipped with a sunroof (dealer installed unit, not OE unit), and full leather seats. Currently has:

1/2 spacer in the front
1 1/2 spacer in the rear
General Grabber AT2 225/70R15 (this size is Severe Snow Service rated, 215/75R15 was NOT. This was a requirement for us)
Stock wheels for now. None are bent but they suck to balance with such wide tires on the narrow wheels.
Replaced both front axles and rear driveshaft, as well as both upper control arms prior to the lift. Wobbles between 25-30mph. It is what it is I guess at this point!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First post, 1997 with spacer lift, control arm clearance issues

Wowza, I think you went too high. What size are the spacers? The front looks a lot higher than I would expect. Some pics of the spacers might help to see if it's all sitting snug.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 AM
Trial User

Spacers are 2.5" front, 1.5" rear. Crap. I get it now. Back to the floor jack to undo 24 hours of work and replace blowed out cv axles. 2 rules I learned this week: taller crv spacer goes in the back, and when wearing a speedo, the potato goes in the front.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stillgar
Spacers are 2.5" front, 1.5" rear. Crap. I get it now. Back to the floor jack to undo 24 hours of work and replace blowed out cv axles. 2 rules I learned this week: taller crv spacer goes in the back, and when wearing a speedo, the potato goes in the front.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Just cruising around at 8500ft

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been reading through this whole thread from first page..
I´m currently looking into purchase a 2005-2006 2ndGen 6speed manual Diesel CR-V.

Already planning in terms of lightning and lifting it but I would like to shoot some thoughts/questions with you regarding my thoughts.

Firstly:
When it comes to lifting the car I was thinking of having 40mm spacers from Russia like d-cheeze have installed.
But there is also the Lovell HFR-132 lift springs from Australia, that I can get hold of here in Europe which gives a lift on 40-50mm.
Which is the best option to go for on stock suspension?
I will most likely change my shocks to Bilstein B4 at the same time.

Secondly:
The 2nd Gen facelift came with 16" wheels as standard, but can you run 15" wheels on them?
The 282mm brake discs are ok with 15"?
With 300mm brake discs you need at least 16" for clearence

Quick Reply: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*