Notices

ZC Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZC Swap?

i am getting a motor swap soon into my 91 crx hf because this past weekend my engine started to knock like crazybecause something with the bearings and i cant drive it and i been told that i have to rebuild my motor or do a motor swap and the price that it will cost to rebuild my motor will cost just as much as it will for me to do a zc swap. so i decided im going to save for a zc swap. i went on nippon-motors.com and found the prices to be around 600 for engine and trans. i dont know what else i need to complete this swap and i am doing it myself so i need a good website explaining exactly how to do this swap like step by step. i know you guys know how to get this info so please help me out. and if i get motor for 600 how much should i save extra in case of common problems when swapping? basically i need all the help you can give me on a zc swap into a 91 hf. thanks in advanced i appreciate it. if you have to email me info or have any questions...RaceFacer@aol.com
Old 03-12-2002, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ZC Swap? (RaceFacer)

The swap is fairly straight forward. I strongly encourage you to buy an Si trans instead of the ZC. The car will be quicker with the Si trans, and the swap will be easier because you won't have to deal with as many axel issues.

If the HF has the smaller spindles, you'll need to get two front hubs from a DX, Si, EX. This may even be a good time to get the EX spindles if you can find and afford them. That would give you the bigger brakes... otherwise, Si, DX, or EX hubs should do. I'm not even 100% sure which hubs the HF has.

The motor will basically be straight bolt in. There are some very minor wiring changes at the distributor, but basically all that you're doing there is switching plugs. The colored wires still go to the same places.

BASIC PARTS LIST:

1 X ZC Motor $495
1 X Si Trans $150 (tops)
depending on the axel situation in an HF....
1 X Right Axel $75 (tops)
1 X Left Axel $75 (tops)
1 X Right Hub $no clue, but not much
1 X Left Hub $no clue, but not much

http://<a href="http://www.geocities...swap2.html</a> would be helpful if I ever finished it. There are a million ZC sites out there. Fear not... you're making a wise choice.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ZC Swap? (therealciviczc)

It is a pretty straight forward swap. Unless your axles are giving you problems there is no need to replace them. You can use your HF axles with an Si tranny. Granted it is not a bad idea to upgrade the front hubs and brakes (would require new axles as well) but it is not necessary. You will probably want to concentrate more on maintenance items for the ZC. Things such as gaskets, seals, belts, plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires, etc. You can of course use your HF tranny. As you know it is not geared for acceleration.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ZC Swap? (wronghand)

Yea it pretty simple, just double check the parts u are going to use with the zc. Also do they even make a lot of aftermarket parts for the zc? don't you have to look for older teg's for the upgrades?
Old 03-12-2002, 02:54 PM

Default Re: ZC Swap? (Iceycrx)

As far as aftermarket parts a lot of it just depends on what you are looking for.