Notices

what valves i need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what valves i need help!!!!

hey i have a gsr block with 9-1 cp pistons and eagle rods with a b16 head skunk 2 pro valve springs and retainers stock gsr cam. im taking the head to a machine shop tomaro.. im having them deck it and pressure wash it. what else do u normally have done when u take a head to a machine shop besides port and polish kuzz im not doing that... what valves do i get??? dished or flat ? im planning on making around 450 whp. any suggestions will help me. thank you for your time.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what valves i need help!!!!

flat will raise the compression, dish will lower it.... 9:1 compression is somewhat low.. your boosting is my guess?!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM

yes im boosting. thanks for your help
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dish Faced, standard size for your application is best.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM

ok thanks . but im taking the head to the machine shop in like 3 hours. what do i have done to the head? what does a valve job consist of? im trying to spend no more that 400 on the head. thanks again for helping me with the valves.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 AM

o and btw the machine shop isnt installing any of the parts.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A valve job obviously consists of the work done on the valves. Usually a 3 angle Valve job. Prices on a valve job usually would include on them installing the valves, valve seals and your springs and retainers.

I would get a resurface as well. Most often, the price of a valve job comes with the resurface and the hot tank(cleaning) as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:09 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are your valves standard stem size or are the aftermarket usual size of .214" for both the intake and exhaust instead of just the intake from factory. If they both are .214" then you will need the valve guides reamed. Also I always put in bronze valve guides while I am getting a head worked on. Your standard valve job is usually a 3 angle. They grind the valve seats at 3 different angles to put it basically. If you have the money get it hot tanked and checked for cracks and if needed get the head milled but you should have it resurfaced (yes it is minor milling) to make sure you get a positive seal on the head. That is your basic head work and anything too much more and you will go over budget.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 AM

ok so then i have to have the valves with the head when i bring it in? also i stripped the head of parts... do they need the valve seals and guides? thanks again
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well are you going to put in new guides? If no then you don't need them obviously. If yes then they can't install them if they don't have them. Also yes they need the valves to ream them as well as to do a valve job. Typically I just give them one intake and one exhaust so it is less parts they have to lose but before you give the valves to them I also mic them just to make sure any of them are not out of round or something crazy. Pretty much just CYOA.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 AM

ok gotcha. then i guess im going to have to wait. due to the fact i havnt ordered valves yet. my friend josh was going to install all my parts. so i was just hoping i could get back a fresh head and install parts. but i was wrong. lol and i had no idea what the machine shop needed. or what they did to the head. so thanks for clearing that up.

o and exospeed your web sites very nice. i almost wanna send my head to you.. haha but the machine shops like 3 minutes away from me. so ill skip the shipping .
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for a standard valve job, your local reputable machine shop can do the job.
When taking it to the machine shop. You should have the Valves, Valvesprings/retainers, Valve locks, and Valve seals. Sometimes the machine shop can supply the valve seals, but you have to supply the rest.

When getting the head "refreshed", its best to do the valve job, new seals, resurface and hot tank. Don't cut corners, just get all that done at the same time.