Notices

What have a gotten into

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have i gotten into

So a couple days ago I traded my da integra for an ef hatch. Thought I was getting a good car but as I’m driving down the interstate the car keeps dying on me. I get home and get a better look at things and realize it’s running a dpfi intake with a z6 motor. Still running the stock ecu and the 4 speed trans? Has anyone ever seen this? This is my first ef so I’m a little clueless here

Last edited by Rotten_ef; 01-07-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: What have a gotten into

im not really seeing the question here bud
do you want to know how to make it run right ?
theres two ways
one= get the dizzy timed right with the timing light look for bad spark plugs or wires

yes i know your dizzy only has one bolt but thats because the old 1.5 non vtec motor in your car took a dump and was replaced with a newer 1.6 vtec motor
but from what you said they only swapped over the motor and not the intake mainifold or distributer
they used the old ones that were in the car before

tw0= this would be finishing the swap
and that would need the right intake mainifold
and distributer along with a dpfi to mpfi convertion and thats just car talk for youll need to change the wiring around so your ef wiring will
work with the newer eg motor thats in your car now
Old 01-07-2018, 11:21 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Hopefully you learned your lesson that trading cars is never a good idea.

You might as well start looking into finishing the swap. Multipoint conversion, obd1 conversion, locate an Si transmission, you'll have a really fun car after that!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marcos Barrios
im not really seeing the question here bud
do you want to know how to make it run right ?
theres two ways
one= get the dizzy timed right with the timing light look for bad spark plugs or wires

yes i know your dizzy only has one bolt but thats because the old 1.5 non vtec motor in your car took a dump and was replaced with a newer 1.6 vtec motor
but from what you said they only swapped over the motor and not the intake mainifold or distributer
they used the old ones that were in the car before

tw0= this would be finishing the swap
and that would need the right intake mainifold
and distributer along with a dpfi to mpfi convertion and thats just car talk for youll need to change the wiring around so your ef wiring will
work with the newer eg motor thats in your car now
Sorry I guess I should’ve been more specific. I’ve read where this set up can work for the time being, but it’s still running like crap. I put new plugs, wires, and dizzy cap and it didn’t fix anything. I have full intentions of finishing the swap but after the holidays I’m alittle broke so for now I’m just trying to get this running right so I can at least get back and forth to work. I’m going to mess with the timing alittle but other than that I’m stumped.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Hopefully you learned your lesson that trading cars is never a good idea.

You might as well start looking into finishing the swap. Multipoint conversion, obd1 conversion, locate an Si transmission, you'll have a really fun car after that!
Definitely learned my lesson. I’m starting to try and find all the parts to finish the swap. Wiring everything is the one thing that’s making me alittle nervous about it all. I’m awful at wiring
Old 01-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I had my mechanic come out and look at it and he’s saying it won’t run correctly strictly because the distributor doesn’t match the motor. Is this true? Or have people made this work?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have a dual point intake and it works, then you have to have a dual point ECU. In that case you must use a dual point distributor, which is NOT the dizzy for that engine. If you buy a distributor for a D16Z6 not only will it not work, it probably won't even plug in correctly (depending on what horrors were perpetrated on the harness). Check your distributor, if it's OEM one of the mount arms will have the designation stamped. If it reads TD-01U then you have the correct part to match your current intake.

Google is your friend here, people have done all this legwork for you and there are a lot of write-ups scattered around the internets.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus
If you have a dual point intake and it works, then you have to have a dual point ECU. In that case you must use a dual point distributor, which is NOT the dizzy for that engine. If you buy a distributor for a D16Z6 not only will it not work, it probably won't even plug in correctly (depending on what horrors were perpetrated on the harness). Check your distributor, if it's OEM one of the mount arms will have the designation stamped. If it reads TD-01U then you have the correct part to match your current intake.

Google is your friend here, people have done all this legwork for you and there are a lot of write-ups scattered around the internets.
It has all the correct parts for the duel point and does ok until it’s up to operating temperature then just falls on its face and doesn’t want to go at all. So I guess I going to keep researching and if I can’t find anything then I will start collecting parts. Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it runs fine till it hits temp regardless of any other factor? As in: are you letting it idle up to temp, or do you drive it, or have you done both? That could make a big difference in what you chase down first.

For how little effort it takes I'd pull the cap off that dizzy before anything else. Check contacts, check the rotor's screwed tight, and check the shaft for play. All of those can play hell with a D series, and even cause really weird intermittent crap that made no sense at the time.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it runs fine till it hits temp regardless of any other factor? As in: are you letting it idle up to temp, or do you drive it, or have you done both? That could make a big difference in what you chase down first.

For how little effort it takes I'd pull the cap off that dizzy before anything else. Check contacts, check the rotor's screwed tight, and check the shaft for play. All of those can play hell with a D series, and even cause really weird intermittent crap that made no sense at the time.
Yes I’ve done both. drive a quarter mile down the road and loses pretty much all power. Turn it off and let it sit for a second then I can go another quarter mile. But I did put on a new cap, wires and ect. I’m thinking of trying to get a new distributor while collecting all the other parts to finish the swap(broke after the holidays) because it’s really hurting me not having a way to get to work. So I’m hoping it’s something stupid I’m overlooking to get it running somewhat decent in the mean time
Old 01-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

learn to test coil and icm so you arent tossing good parts
while buying new parts.

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo
learn to test coil and icm so you arent tossing good parts
while buying new parts.

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
Thanks will do!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

What is the trim level of the car? It may be a standard model - these came with a D15B1 with DPFI and a 4-speed transmission. Does the interior have vinyl seats? Is there no real center console...only a rubber boot around the shifter? If so, it is a standard (STD). It is quite possible a previous owner had an issue with the D15B1 and obtained a junk-yard D16Z6 for a low price. The Z6 will run fine with the DPFI intake manifold and distributor, but the VTEC will never engage. I have seen this before...often just a cheap way of getting a new motor that works.

You say the distributor doesn't match the motor...if you are running DPFI, it should be a TD01U distributor (6-pin rectangular white plug with 5 wires and a 2-pin white round plug) and a PM5 ECU...I don't know of any other way it will work. The block code listed on the block that this distributor is mounted on (as long as it begins with D or is ZC) is irrelevant.

Is the ECU showing any codes? Is there any hacked/botched wiring that you can see in the engine compartment and/or under the dash? Does it rev up just fine in neutral and only has issues under load? Smoking or heavy gas smells?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
What is the trim level of the car? It may be a standard model - these came with a D15B1 with DPFI and a 4-speed transmission. Does the interior have vinyl seats? Is there no real center console...only a rubber boot around the shifter? If so, it is a standard (STD). It is quite possible a previous owner had an issue with the D15B1 and obtained a junk-yard D16Z6 for a low price. The Z6 will run fine with the DPFI intake manifold and distributor, but the VTEC will never engage. I have seen this before...often just a cheap way of getting a new motor that works.

You say the distributor doesn't match the motor...if you are running DPFI, it should be a TD01U distributor (6-pin rectangular white plug with 5 wires and a 2-pin white round plug) and a PM5 ECU...I don't know of any other way it will work. The block code listed on the block that this distributor is mounted on (as long as it begins with D or is ZC) is irrelevant.

Is the ECU showing any codes? Is there any hacked/botched wiring that you can see in the engine compartment and/or under the dash? Does it rev up just fine in neutral and only has issues under load? Smoking or heavy gas smells?
Yes it is the std model and it’s running the td01u dizzy. Also it runs rough in neutral as well in gear. There is messed up wiring all over under the hood and in the cabin. I just ordered a new dizzy to see if that will change anything. I plan on finishing the swap but In the mean time trying to work out the bugs so I can get to work
Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX

Also the ecu is a pm9 I forgot to say that lol
Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

After googling, you're right, the PM9 came in the Civic STD. So no codes flashing on the ECU?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
After googling, you're right, the PM9 came in the Civic STD. So no codes flashing on the ECU?
No codes. I have work the next few days but once I have another day off I’m going to check all the electrical connections and make sure everything is good.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If there's messed up wiring all over under hood and dash, then I would strongly suggest not spending more money until you take a multimeter to every wiring run having to do with engine operation - not just a continuity check, measure resistance. OBD0 ECUs are not the smartest things, some wiring issues may not necessarily trip a CEL.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If there's messed up wiring all over under hood and dash, then I would strongly suggest not spending more money until you take a multimeter to every wiring run having to do with engine operation - not just a continuity check, measure resistance. OBD0 ECUs are not the smartest things, some wiring issues may not necessarily trip a CEL.
I plan on going to buy a multimeter tomorrow, I ordered a repair manual for the car because I know absolutely nothing about wiring and the electrical aspect of cars so hopefully with that I can figure things out.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also I will be starting a build thread. I know it’s been done a million times but I figured it would be cool to look back on once it’s all done. Because not only is under the hood all screwed but so is everything else lol from one bolt in each seat to rugs being used as interior carpet. As much of a mess as it sounds I can’t wait to turn things from zero to hero!!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

haha thats the spirit ^_^
Old 01-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So my new distributor came in today I get it all put in and now my car won’t start and I’m getting back fire through my intake? Did I screw up the timing? I’m about to go crazy. I really thought this would get it running decent.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No more back firing through the intake but still no start. I’ve tried everything I can think of. I’m giving up for the day.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:30 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like maybe you've either got the distributor on 180 degrees out (it's possible if you force it, trust me!) or you put the spark plug wires in the wrong order.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Sounds like maybe you've either got the distributor on 180 degrees out (it's possible if you force it, trust me!) or you put the spark plug wires in the wrong order.
Sadly having to sell the car

Quick Reply: What have a gotten into