Notices

Water leaking into car

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leaking into car

I have a 90' Civic SI and water is leaking into the car behind the passenger seat, and under my drivers floor mat. Its making the carpet wet and I need to get this fixed. Where could it be coming from?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Water leaking into car (SC-MK1)

holes in the floor, lift the carpet, and pull a fred flinstone.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:49 AM
ALX
Honda-Tech Member

check the seals on the rear 1/4 panel window or from the moonroof most likely. Gut the interior and get a hose and have a friend spray the car and sit inside looking for the leak.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT ^^^^^ beat me to it

roof seals, those two long channels on the roof, have removable runners in them, silicon under that.

also, check the weather stripping on the door itself, and the seals on the glass.

on hatches also you have those little windows that pop out.

your best bet is going to be to strip the interior and lock yourself inside the car and have a friend hose it down.

its time consuming and it sucks, but thats really the way to find it.

good luck.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water leaking into car (doublethink)

Join the club.. mine leaks by the windshield and i need a new one so i hope its the seal around it..
Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have water in the back of my 90 EF Si where the spare tire is, where could the water be coming in from? thanks
Old 04-08-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: (TealCivic93)

check your rear tail lights. there should be this gasket looking thing. if it is not there put some silicone around it , or buy new gaskets for it. if it is there replace them. or it could also be the hatch isn't aligned right.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 AM

in my crx (91 si) i have the same problem, water under driver seat, and in the trunk, and in the driver taillight...best thing to do is obviously find the problem and address it by filling it in, and if you must replace what you can for as cheap as possible...i did the hose thing, it didn't work. some people say if it happens on the driver side its from the lever that opens your hood? i don't know though about the passenger side...water in the trunk i think is caused from holes in the hatch, when you lift up your hatch you'll notice holes on each side, thats the only thing i can think of...another question to ask yourself, does it happen when the car is sitting or running? i thought it was a hole in my floor but it doesn't happen when i sit and i've looked for holes and found nothing...hopefully what i said was in someway of help, i'm a little hungover and i'm trying the best i can...
Old 04-08-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: (91sicrxer)

No better place to put in my 2 cents about leaks.....
I have a 1988 CRX Si and here's what I have done to fix the leaks I had:

-I had a leak that would pour water down your left foot when you make a turn. I found out that water was running down the side of the car and started to run inside the car. On the driver side window, there is a rubber molding that runs along the bottom of the window, this also keeps water from running inside your door. New seals, no more wet foot. Problem solved

-I also had the famous water leak on the hatch struts. This one is more difficult. You COULD check your sunroof (if you have one) drains to see if they are clogged. If not check the sunroof seal as well, however I found neither of these to be the problem. All of my drains were clear. The other option is the roof gutters. The rubber moldings for the roof gutters will need to be removed and thrown away. While they are removed you need to clean out the dirt and gunk in the gutter. After it's removed, you will see where the roof of the car joins the sides of the car. This is where the leaks are coming from. Honda had this spot welded, then filled with some kind of putty or something. I have heard several theories on how to fix it. If you have time weld aluminum pieces in there. If not, a good temp fix is to use 3M heavy drip sealer on the gap. If you have rust there, it's best to sand first, then use primer, then the sealer. Also, you can use Caulking, but I am not sure how long this lasts (so far so good!! heh). After you have filled the crevice with sealer or silicone, then install the new roof gutter molding. This will eliminate 99% of the hatch leak. The other 1% usually comes from the rear squirter. I would suggest using silicone here. Just apply a small bead in a circle on the bottom of the squirter hold down for a few mins to stick on.

Note: Depending on what you're using, silicone takes time to dry up. Mine was still drying up to 1 week afterward. Luckily it hadn't rained yet. I found out that I was given an OLD tube of silicone.

Hope this helps. I know how annoying this can be. After the leaks are fixed, you can enjoy less fog and damp smells (ewww) inside the car.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: (ProjectCRXtacy)

I have a water leak where after a hard constant rain I'll have a puddle under the passenger seat, but it woun't do it unless its a shitload of water...I tried to find it, sunroof shows no signs of leaks, inside windows are dry. The foot area is dry, it is just somehow under the seat, we had a 3 day storm last week and I had to go out and put towels under the carpet to soak it up. The car never moved, till yesturday.(finally putting the motor in)