Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such ....

I have a 91 black si with a now ZC in with stock tranny. Got everything in and the engine runs great, now the tranny/clutch doesnt. When the car is started in neutral and tried to go into gear it wont go AT ALL. When the car is off it will go into gear and does so just as with the previous engine when it ran well. I can start the car in first and it will go go go, though it wont want to go into other gear without rev matching.

What could be the problem? I replaced the stock clutch disk (correctly placed with key), though used the integra pressure plate and stock everything else.

Thanks in advance for any help, Will
Old 12-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (Splangtastic)

put the oil back in it?
Old 12-15-2002, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (Splangtastic)

Yup, took off the fillhole, took off that side one (not the drain), filled until the side started leaking ( about 2.2 or maybe a little more quarts). There is a possibility I put in aout 3 ounces more than that, but not enough to make a difference I think.

Or is it?
Old 12-15-2002, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im currently haveing the same problem with my sohc vtec with act clutch, same exact problem. I have no clue what it is, other than bad trann, thas all i can think of...
Old 12-15-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (CimorelliCRX)

How could that be though, it worked perfectly before ... it cant be.

Is there some other clutch adjustment that I dont know about other than the cable? Cuz I have tried adjusting that.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem, try adjusting your clutch cable ALL the way down...

if that doesnt work, i dunno~
Old 12-15-2002, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (rasta420)

Adjusted to the point when you cant actuallypull the cable with your hands up, and still nothing.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:36 PM
Urban Business

Adjusted to the point when you cant actuallypull the cable with your hands up, and still nothing.
that'll keep the clutch engaged indefinatly. tighten the cable untill its taught (sp?).
Old 12-15-2002, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (TorteX)

yea thats what i tried, ill try adjusting a little more tomarrow .... thanks for the advice .... anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Urban Business

otherwise your throwout berring or fork is stuck making the clutch not disenguage.

im sorry to hear that your having problems. trans problems suck dick. i deal w/ them all to often. currently im driving on a broken pressure plate.

[Modified by TorteX, 11:56 PM 12/15/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know, I am thinking it has something to do with the throw out bearing, shift fork, etc. Something there, maybe the spring came off of the throw out bearing and its not retracting it or something. I dont know though.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that problem when I first installed my clutch and tranny, turned out to be that I only needed to adjust the clutch....
Old 12-16-2002, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (Vap133)

Maybe we need new clutch cables or soemthing... lol I dont know thats the only thing i can think of..
Old 12-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (CimorelliCRX)

i had the same problem, i changed hte throw out bearing, return spring and cable and it would only go into gear with the car of and never with the car on.. i come to realize that it could be hte pressure plate diaphram (sp?) is toast and is not releasing, i adjusted my calbe to see if that was it but nothing so im ordering a clutch this week, hope thats all..
Old 12-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be your pressure plate, integra, you should of used a si one../
Old 12-16-2002, 02:49 PM

I would just replace the clutch cable first....its the easiest adn quickest....they get bined up and pinched very easily happened to me

adjusting your clutch - adjust it so you have one inch of free play at the pedal...thas all you should get....

turn your car on if you can and listen for noises....If I were you I wouldnt diagnose somthing like a bad t/o bearing or pressure plate when you just ahd it out of the car nad everything was okay.....either installer error...or your not looking int he right place....

heres a hint.....check your shift linkage..did you install it properly perhaps?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (Kasper 1)

I would just replace the clutch cable first....its the easiest adn quickest....they get bined up and pinched very easily happened to me

adjusting your clutch - adjust it so you have one inch of free play at the pedal...thas all you should get....

turn your car on if you can and listen for noises....If I were you I wouldnt diagnose somthing like a bad t/o bearing or pressure plate when you just ahd it out of the car nad everything was okay.....either installer error...or your not looking int he right place....

heres a hint.....check your shift linkage..did you install it properly perhaps?
well for my car for some odd reason i could start it in gear and the car owuld get moving and if i would hold the clutch pedal down it would not dis engage so it would just keep going, no way to change gears or turn the car on then trying to put it in gear. the release arm moves the whole way and i feel it hit the pressure plate but not release the clutch, what else could it be other than the pressure plate
Old 12-16-2002, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (BoostedED9)

I have the same problem. What did you guys find out?

[Modified by island_son, 9:24 AM 12/17/2002]
Old 12-17-2002, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (island_son)

ttt
Old 12-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission problems, why do clutches have to be such .... (island_son)

Well what sucks more is I have this problem on BOTH of my cars right now. New clutches on each, and I have the same problem. I have done so many trannies before without this happening, and now the last 2 it does. NO clue what it could be. Any ideas please?