Notices

To those using aftermarket steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To those using aftermarket steering wheels

After many years my original steering wheel from 1989 was crap, I swapped a better one from another 89 CRX. it is now also going to crap.
I am looking at after market steering wheels and would really like to maintain a similar steering wheel position, I have found a decent seating position as far as where my arms extend, and I am very comfortable with the distance between the wheel and control stalks and the column. I am mostly looking at Sparco, Momo, and NRG steering wheels, preferably 350mm diameter (my wife at times has to drive the car and I do not want a bunch of extra effort from a smaller wheel). Because I want to maintain stock geometry I am really not liking the idea of the "deep dish" steering wheel, after all this is a daily driver and I want easy access to controls (I can see where the deep dish on race oriented car could be very useful).

What combinations of steering wheel and hub are you guys using that has been good for you? Also if you have fond a later NON airbag Honda wheel that works out ok let me know!
Old 05-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: To those using aftermarket steering wheels

Originally Posted by v4lu3s
After many years my original steering wheel from 1989 was crap, I swapped a better one from another 89 CRX. it is now also going to crap.
I am looking at after market steering wheels and would really like to maintain a similar steering wheel position, I have found a decent seating position as far as where my arms extend, and I am very comfortable with the distance between the wheel and control stalks and the column. I am mostly looking at Sparco, Momo, and NRG steering wheels, preferably 350mm diameter (my wife at times has to drive the car and I do not want a bunch of extra effort from a smaller wheel). Because I want to maintain stock geometry I am really not liking the idea of the "deep dish" steering wheel, after all this is a daily driver and I want easy access to controls (I can see where the deep dish on race oriented car could be very useful).

What combinations of steering wheel and hub are you guys using that has been good for you? Also if you have fond a later NON airbag Honda wheel that works out ok let me know!
I've modified an EG wheel to fit in an EF. It was comfy. Minor modification to make it work.

I am loving my generic Momo wheel and hub adapter. It puts the wheel at a close to stock location.

Don't get a quick-release.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

also getting a smaller wheel doesnt really make it harder to turn
the increase in effort is like 1lb more of force
Old 05-04-2018, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the nrg short hub and quick release. These cars are a snap to steal so it's a good investment. I made a spacer to bring the wheel a bit closer.

Steering wheel I use is a momo mod .70 330 mm. Lil more effort in the parking lot, but not that bad and not noticeable at all at speed.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know a guy that has what I think is a brand new in the box JDM steering wheel. He offered to sell it to me but even though I thought it looked VERY nice I was not interested so I didn't ask the price. It looks just like the stock steering wheel in a 1990 Civic Si except it has a leather cover and a black chrome "H" instead of the normal chrome. I have no idea what he wants for it but if you are interested let me know and I will ask him for permission to give you his contact info.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Key's Racing deep dish wheel. It definitely sits closer to me which is a bit annoying for the turn signals and wipers, but because I'm a fairly tall dude (5'10") I just sit with the seat all the way back and it's fine. My car is definitely track-focused though, I don't daily drive it.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acmoc
I have the nrg short hub and quick release. These cars are a snap to steal so it's a good investment. I made a spacer to bring the wheel a bit closer.

I agree with this guy. Regardless of which wheel you go with, get a quick release hub.

I use an NRG deep dish wheel (350 mm) with a quick release. I have had cars stolen in the past before so now i keep it in the garage and always bring my wheel inside with me after i drive it.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're concerned about your wife driving it, I wouldn't get a deep dish. I also have a Momo Team steering wheel in 280mm, which as someone said isn't that much different than stock.

Also have an NRG thin hub and tilt-up release, which puts the wheel close to stock, so stalks are still easy to get to. You should be able to get exactly what you want in terms of feel, though, as there are plenty of options out there.