Notices

Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions.

So it looks like I won't be fixing my tragically totalled 96 Accord (still drivable *tear*). The CRX is about what I'd look for in a next car, and its great gas milage is a big deal right now. At first I didn't like the fact that it seemed unsafe, but on further reading it seems like it'll be okay, as long as I don't hit the woods at 85 (unlikely I'd survive that in my old car either), and I'm drastically cutting down on that ****. So...

-What kind of reliability do you think I'd get from one in the $2k range? It seems like there are nice ones (5k), decent ones (2k), and **** ones (<1.5k). The bastards at Geico only gave me 2k for my Accord, so my budget is kinda limited.

-How does it handle in the snow? (it's SUCH a light car)

-How much would it cost to replace the stock 1.6 with a bigger vtec, and is there any way to jam a 2.2 liter Accord engine in?

-What are the chances a mostly stock one could beat a non-vtec Integra?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions. (36 degrees)

-What kind of reliability do you think I'd get from one in the $2k range? It seems like there are nice ones (5k), decent ones (2k), and **** ones (<1.5k). The bastards at Geico only gave me 2k for my Accord, so my budget is kinda limited.

Price doesnt matter, as long as you get one that was well maintained it should be reliable as hell. Its a honda, its gonna be reliable

-How does it handle in the snow? (it's SUCH a light car)
never drove mine in the snow

-How much would it cost to replace the stock 1.6 with a bigger vtec, and is there any way to jam a 2.2 liter Accord engine in?
You can swap a h22 from the prelude or do a b series swap. a first gen b16 can be done for less than 2K

-What are the chances a mostly stock one could beat a non-vtec Integra?[/QUOTE]

Si could hang with a ls integra
Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions. (99teggsr)

Is that a newer 2.2 prelude engine, or an older one? The reason I'm thinking about putting my Accord engine in is that, well... I have it already. It'd need some cleaning up/fixing, but it's generally a pretty big engine with decent low end torque. My old car could just barely keep up to the bastard Integra in question, and it's got another thousand pounds. The CRX underhood pics I saw looked pretty cramped.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions. (36 degrees)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 36 degrees &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is that a newer 2.2 prelude engine, or an older one? The reason I'm thinking about putting my Accord engine in is that, well... I have it already. It'd need some cleaning up/fixing, but it's generally a pretty big engine with decent low end torque. My old car could just barely keep up to the bastard Integra in question, and it's got another thousand pounds. The CRX underhood pics I saw looked pretty cramped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can see your logic there, and you have the right idea (big engine, little car) which means your well on your way to seeing the light!

the problem is an f-series swap into these chassis is extremley advanced involving making all your own mounts and cutting the cut up front in places to make room for it.

there are other engines that can be had for cheap that make decent power and would be a more bolt in affair on something like a crx.

an LS swap is a good exmaple, and those motors can be had for pretty cheap usually. then youd have to pickup a set of mounts, axles, and the proper shift linkage to swap the car.

but youd have aftermarket parts to choose from at that point to help you get it done, unlike the f-series.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Thinking about buying a CRX, had a few questions. (doublethink)

Kay. That's kinda what I thought. The Accord makes a nasty noise when you start it, though, and its power is somewhat down after 3 months without really being driven, so the engine may not be worth anything anyway. It is fun burning out in a totaled car, though, I get some funny looks.

Is there a way to bolt the CRX's seatbelts to the frame instead of the door? The fact that my seatbelt could come undone in a crash is a really nasty thought that makes me want to get an 88 lude instead.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You could probably sell the accord motor to fund a different swap.

You could always pick up a 1st gen CRX. Not that commonly built, so you'd be more individual. Plus it'd be cheaper to start. I got mine for $300 running well!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (cb07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 36 degrees &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there a way to bolt the CRX's seatbelts to the frame instead of the door? The fact that my seatbelt could come undone in a crash is a really nasty thought that makes me want to get an 88 lude instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>
88 CRXs (HF, DX, and SI) and 89 CRX HF have pillar mounted seat belts. with a b16 swap in healthy condition, you should be able to get in the 14s (1/4 mile), b18c1 and b18c5 (gsr and type r) should be able to get you into low 14s, 13s (1/4 mile) pretty much stock.

you could always boost a D-series and get 200-250 whp without too much trouble.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: (gospeedgo1)

&gt;&gt;88 CRXs (HF, DX, and SI) and 89 CRX HF

right, so that's what i'll look for. wonder how much i could get an 88 SI for.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: (36 degrees)

dont know where you are located. craigslist.org, autotrader, and cars.com are a good place to start.