Notices

Suspension: front/rear spring rates for street car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension: front/rear spring rates for street car

I hear that Ground Control specifies 250f/150r lbs/in for CRX's, with stiffer rates in front. Yet, i notice some racers running stiffer rates in the rear....is this ideal only for drag racing? R stiffer fronts better for the street?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: front/rear spring rates for street car (Reelizmpro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Reelizmpro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear that Ground Control specifies 250f/150r lbs/in for CRX's, with stiffer rates in front. Yet, i notice some racers running stiffer rates in the rear....is this ideal only for drag racing? R stiffer fronts better for the street?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ignore road racing spring rates completely if this is a street car. Road racing setups also include different sway bar setups, different alignments, etc. For a street car, the standard rates are stiffer in the front as this is generally the safest setup. I won't get into the argument about front stiff vs. rear stuff but I assure you there's plenty of info already out there if you want to search for it.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just to expand on what wsa already said, typically stiffer in the rear will cause the rear to want to rotate more(oversteer) and stiffer in the front will tend to want to understeer a bit. most of the time your probably better off with stiffer in the front for a street car.

on my car i have tien SS's which have a 448 front and a 224 rear. with stock si sway bars i dont have any problem at all getting the back end to rotate if i want to. so its all a matter of taste.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:33 AM

Actually, factory spring rates are about 250/150, the GCS for a CRX have 350/250. They also come with eibach springs which are interchangable, so if you wanted to, you could easily swap springs for only 50 bucks per spring
Old 12-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should be looking into what shocks you are going to use to control those springs as well. All the spring rate talk in the world means jack without the proper shock to control the springs.

Tons of people will tell you all about springs, and then leave out shocks completly. If you are going with a custom rate from GC, be sure you let them know this before hand, and have them valve the shocks accordingly. Springs hold up the car, shocks control the springs!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Suspension: front/rear spring rates for street car (travis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by travis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ignore road racing spring rates completely if this is a street car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes please do. you people who have been taking info from the other forum and passing advice to other ppl just looking for an up in performance, and you know who you are, need to completely stop with your display of "internet scholarship."

ground control's default spring rates are 350/250. still very stiff rates, and at the very top end of acceptable for street use on a CRX as far as im concerned. and only suitable with aftermarket dampers like tokico illuminas, kyb AGX and koni sports.

standard aftermarket spring rates will remain skewed with the front higher to maintain the similar profile as it comes from the factory, and should remain that way, unless you are off the street.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: front/rear spring rates for street car (Tyson)

Just looking for confirmation..thanks guys. I'm running the 350/250 setup with KYB AGX's and love them. Great low cost adjustable suspension upgrade. ARe you sure the stock CRX rates are 250/150? That's quite stiff for a stock suspension.