Notices

start up problems....& code 8.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start up problems....& code 8.

ok, my yellow bucket has been giving me some greif as of lately. are you guys ready? here come the questions you've all been waiting for! ha!

(CODE 8 TDC SENSOR)
-where is the TDC sensor? i heard it was in the distributer?!?
-also, my car seems to be ok when driving around after the code came, but i never really know what's going on under the hood.
-i haven't heard anything funny either, and haven't been submitting the engine (SOHC ZC) to revs over 3500
-i've also heard that i should just get a whole new distributer because of the sensor?!?
-what could go wrong with the car from the TDC sensor? My guess is that it could read improperly and relay info that the pistons are in TDC when they aren't...then spark could ignite when the pistons aren't at TDC.......ewwww.

(START UP PROBLEMS)
-every now and then, my car won't start.
-it will crank over and the instrument lights will come on...but won't start
-i hear the fuel pump engaging with the key in the ignition, so i know that's not an issue
-starter is good, as is starter solenoid

...Now i've heard that this is a common problem in the CRX, the main relay? doesn't the main relay give the signal to the fuel pump though? so if i hear the fuel pump, how can it be the main relay being bad? if it was bad, i wouldn't hear the fuel pump, correct?

-does this code 8 have anything to do with the car not wanting to start?

Of course thanks for your time as always guys. hopefully i'll be able to decipher what's going on with my car and if i need to worry about anything.

-cody
Old 10-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: start up problems....& code 8. (y-49CRX)

The TDC sensor is in the distributor and is most likely the root of your starting problems. The easiest way to fix this is to just find another distributor. The sensor can be replaced if you know how and have the right tools. But to save a headache, just find a replacement.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: start up problems....& code 8. (Redline130)

allright, thanks for the input redline! am i ok to drive around until i can get a new distributer though? i'm thinking like maybe 3 weeks i can get one, i'm in debt and in the process of moving...low funds like whoa.

-cody
Old 10-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: start up problems....& code 8. (y-49CRX)

Well hopefully the distributor will make it 3 weeks. If you don't mind putting up with inconsistent starting and down-graded performance from your motor, then you should be able to get around. As much as possible though, try and find a replacement asap. Even if you gotta borrow one for the time being.