Notices

Speed sensor cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed sensor cable

Hi HT, recently I change my tranny oil, the fill it up through the VSS/speed sensor hole. After all done now my speedometer not working. I turn the cable using drill, it work fine, the speedo needle in cluster works. And when I turn the gear on VSS/speed sensor, the shaft thingy where the cable go in, turns too. I put that one groove on cable right where a groove line inside the VSS/speed sensor, but still not working. Anything else I should do, or any tricks? Or did I broke something? Btw it's a Y1 tranny with OEM LSD, and the oil I put it is Amsoil synchromesh tranny oil.

Just done more test, connect the VSS/speed sensor and the cable then turn it with electric drill, it works. But when I install it, it still not working. So is this mean I broke something in the tranny? Help please

Thanks ahead.

PS. I did post it on transmision & drivetrain forum, but seems nobody with cable speedo check that forum. So please don't delete this post, It's hard driving without knowing your speed. Thank you
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Speed sensor cable

Did you put the little clip back on it after installing the cable?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I put the clip on the groove and it hold the cable from moving and coming out.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You removed the entire gear drive from the tranny?
Or just removed the cable?

It sounds like you removed the whole gear drive -which is fine.
Is is bolted down to the tranny correctly - metal plate in grove on gear drive and bolted all the way down?
What gear drive are you using?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I remove the whole gear assembly so I can pour the tranny fluid, it's bolted back all the way down. I don't really know what gear drive is this, but it's been working fine this past 6 years. And just today, I try too feel inside the tranny, and the thing that suppose to turn the speedo gear, it turn freely, and kinda have wiggling..freeplay?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe the VSS isnt seated properly onto the trans itself. check to make sure theres no gap between the vss and the transmission.

since you ruled out that the speedometer is working, and it has worked prior to what you did, then try another vss. maybe you somehow damaged your current one.

also, make sure the cable itself isnt broken. I've had one broken in half. was rusted inside and fell apart after awhile.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hoga113
Yes I remove the whole gear assembly so I can pour the tranny fluid, it's bolted back all the way down. I don't really know what gear drive is this, but it's been working fine this past 6 years. And just today, I try too feel inside the tranny, and the thing that suppose to turn the speedo gear, it turn freely, and kinda have wiggling..freeplay?
I'm referring to the part that bolts to the tranny as the "gear drive".
I suppose it's more accurately called a cable drive. Sorry
(Then there is the cable, and then the pulser mounted on the back of the cluster.)
A -LOT- of people call the cable drive a VSS... and it's so incorrect that my left eye twitches and my skin boils when I see it -*RAGE* =P
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
I'm referring to the part that bolts to the tranny as the "gear drive".
I suppose it's more accurately called a cable drive. Sorry
(Then there is the cable, and then the pulser mounted on the back of the cluster.)
A -LOT- of people call the cable drive a VSS... and it's so incorrect that my left eye twitches and my skin boils when I see it -*RAGE* =P
Got cha. So, is it the "thing" that make contact with the cable drive inside the tranny suppose to turn freely?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Trial User

Hi guys!

Sorry, I am new here. But maybe you could help me under this Thread. I want to change my VSS but I still cant find my Honda Accord (1993, 2.2 automatic, CD5) speed sensor. I will attach some pictures, maybe somebody could point me to the right direction. Tnx!