Notices

Removing Dash 90 EF Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Dash 90 EF Sedan

Im in the process of spraying my interior plastic black with the Duplicolor Interior Paint. I have done all four door panels and im nervous to take out the dashboard for a couple of reasons.

1. i do not know where all the bolt locations are for removal.
2. not too sure what wiring i need to remove (cluster, cd player, fuse box)

can anyone help me out with this please?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Removing Dash 90 EF Sedan

It is a bit intimidating, but not impossible. armed with a 10mm socket, a phillips screwdriver and a very small flat screwdriver it can be done. It would be best to remove the door post so as to not scratch them up when pulling out the dash. bolt locations are very numerous, the ones above the instrument cluster have small covers over them along with the side deforster vents. As far as wiring, I believe you'll have to disconnect the instrument cluster, and many wires going to the interior fuse box are attached to the dash structure. Luckily I didn't experience too many problems figuring out where everthing went back too. Good luck...
Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arloeagle
It is a bit intimidating, but not impossible. armed with a 10mm socket, a phillips screwdriver and a very small flat screwdriver it can be done. It would be best to remove the door post so as to not scratch them up when pulling out the dash. bolt locations are very numerous, the ones above the instrument cluster have small covers over them along with the side deforster vents. As far as wiring, I believe you'll have to disconnect the instrument cluster, and many wires going to the interior fuse box are attached to the dash structure. Luckily I didn't experience too many problems figuring out where everthing went back too. Good luck...
yea seriously thanks. i'll do it this weekend and post pix before and after. right now its Fair Blue and it will be jet black when im finished.

im also interested in putting some sort of head liner design.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:45 PM

first remove the cluster, then the glovebox, theres a bolt in the center of the dash by the windshield, there are bolts by the glovebox, also plastic pop rivets in the door jams dash area. the dash harness connects to the main harness, not all of the under dash fuse box will need to be taken out. the radio will need to be taken out, steering wheel, i prefer to take the steering wheel switches out and the center console to avoid breaking/scratching anything. i think there may be a few bolts by the driver kickpanel too. you will know if the dash still has bolts holding it in when u tug on it. the center vents should also be removed if i remember correctly. unbolt the heater a/c unit but dont disconnect any cables just slide it out the back. u will need to remove the cable for the 'fresh air' vent on the drivers side also.

Last edited by civickid03; 01-05-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: more stuff to add
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 PM

go to a junkyard and try to find the black dash that you want ..... i had the same problem i had a blue dash board and i was gonna paint it but with my previous cars i realizes that that paint only works for so long then it starts to wear off so for long term satisfaction you should just go to the junkyard near you and find the stock black dash. or if you want upgrade to a crx dash and center console..looks sick.... but just as ^ said two bolts on the sides where the doors are take glove box and fuse box out gauges and steering wheel if you want to get it out easily.. and just pull the dash when you get the bolts out and unplug any of the harnesses that stop you from removing it..you should be good its super duper easy.. i did mine in less than an hour.... good luck lemme know how it turns out
Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't know if it was said yet, but remember to take off the ground wire near the steering wheel and don't yank it out with it on, otherwise you will rip the wire or break something.