Notices

random stalls after braking coming to a stop, can having no O2 sensor cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random stalls after braking coming to a stop, can having no O2 sensor cause this?

my car is a 90 crx si, its been running good lately, and i installed a new O2 sensor but after i was done the wire broke off that attached to the plastic clip off the wire harness, so because of that my O2 sensor is'nt connected at all,

just a couple days after that happening, my car had random stalls while pressing the brake when coming to a stop, and it just shows a battery light on dash, and it starts right up again and drives fine,

i've never had that problem before, and i read a couple things it could be on here, but to me it seems kind of weird how this just started to happen a couple days after my O2 sensor got disconnected from the wire ?,

so i wanted to see if anyone knew if not having an O2 sensor connected to anything could cause this type of thing to happen ??? or would that not have anything to do with it stalling while coming to a stop ?

any info would be cool
Old 02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: random stalls after braking coming to a stop, can having no O2 sensor cause this

I'd have to say no if it was just a bad o2 sensor. its in charge of fuel trim not idle, but I could be wrong.

But it sounds like you might have some exposed wires just dangling there, I'm not sure what the reslts would be from shorting these wires but it might be creating different problems. If thats the case tape up the ends untill you can repair them properly.

I'm guessing from your other thread that you plan on fixing it. I'd fix the wiring first then go from there, maybe that will fix it all.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: random stalls after braking coming to a stop, can having no O2 sensor cause this

thanks for also replying to this other post of mine too,

i just had my inspection done friday, and i was surprised that they did'nt care that my O2 sensor was disconnected, and they said we can run it and just see and should be ok, so turned out it was fine with no O2 connected, but it did fail the emissions test, saying the (NOX) part failed and said i needed to get a new catalytic converter.

i was'nt surprised since i have never replaced the catalytic converter and as far as i know its still the original one on there which would have 239,000 miles on it, so i'm sure it would be a good time to replace it.

as far as the random stall thing while braking to a stop, i'm sure i can find what it is or have mechanic friend of mine help me figure it out, it does'nt do it all the time at every single stoplight, i can drive it without it being a huge problem, at least it does'nt cut out while i'm moving, that would be a different story and way more important, but i still got to fix it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be one of these two reason....your igniter or your coil ( they both inside your dizzy). And yes i have that symptom too.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

M-benz, thanks telling me about those two things, its good to know as many things to check as i can that could be related to that type of problem,

and now that you mention it, the distributor and the components inside are all things that have never been replaced that i know of, i had a dohc zc motor swapped in 2003 after water got in a long intake blowing a big hole in the block of the original d16 motor, and when they did the zc swap, i am not sure if they just put the dizzy that was already on my car with the d16 motor ? or if the zc motor came with its own dizzy attached to it and if they put that one ??, but either the case, i don't remember ever replacing an ignitor or coil on my car, and i've had it 12 yrs,

i know the last time cap & rotor was put on was around 2003 when they did the swap,
and i was going to just get a new cap & rotor even without checking them cause i feel its been long enough to where its worth just getting new ones.

so i will check those things for sure, and also other stuff i never check such as PCV valve ? (not sure how to check it exactly), check the idle adjustment, clean throttle body, try to reset ecu to see if that does anything, also one thing i did'nt do is i should check to see if the ecu shows a blinking code or not ?
Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just thought i would mention how earlier i was out driving my car around for over an hour probably while i was doing some errands and stuff, and the weird thing is that the whole time i was driving around, it did'nt do that thing where it stalls while pressing brake coming to a stop ???, so i don't get why it suddenly is'nt doing that anymore?, for at least that whole time i was out driving around ?,

i'll still check all those things mentioned anyway just cause those are all things you need to keep up with and replace if needed.

who knows it might start doing that stall thing again tomorrow, but i guess i'll see . . .
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine did that too, turned out the sock filter in fuel tank was clogged b/c tank was rusty, i noticed the rust when changing the fuel filter on the firewall. Just another idea.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android