Notices

R-12 to R-134?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-12 to R-134?

hey guys,
i was just wondering how much freon our cars hold and how much it will cost to have it converted to R-134. I have A/C in my 88 but it doesn't work. I know some of you guys are thinking that its going to be winter soon here in VA but i just wanted to see if some of you guys had switched over or knows how much it costs to switch over.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R-12 to R-134? (4g4d)

just go to autozone and get the changeover kit with gauge and refrigerant. tell the guy at the parts counter what you need. cost about $35 for everything. make sure you have all of you R-12 evacuated from your system before you try to recharge it though. legal and enviromentally safe way is to take it to a shop to have it evacuated. should be cheap if not free to get done. one thing A/C helps in the winter with is defrosting your windows because of the dehumidifyer in the refrigerant.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Needs to be About 20% Cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: R-12 to R-134? (DelSolDon)

put in 80% R134. soo if it took 10 oz u'd put back in 8 oz. otherwize you'll over fill the sistem and wont work effisently.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DelSolDon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one thing A/C helps in the winter with is defrosting your windows because of the dehumidifyer in the refrigerant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing in the refrigerant is going to help defog windows. Remember that the A/C is a closed system. And there is no contact between the refrigerant and air.

Also, keep in mind that if you recharge an R12 A/C with R134a, you WILL lose cooling capacity. Consider this carefully before deciding to charge your system with R134a. ESPECIALLY if you live in a hot climate like VA. Systems charged with R134a won't blow as cold, and will experience difficulty cooling on days over 90 degrees or while sitting still.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R-12 to R-134? (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nothing in the refrigerant is going to help defog windows. Remember that the A/C is a closed system. And there is no contact between the refrigerant and air.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

then why does it help if you turn the A/C on? and why do newer model cars automatically kick on the A/C when you turn the selector to defrost? now that i think about it, i guess it just circulates the cabin air through the A/C dryer.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DelSolDon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

then why does it help if you turn the A/C on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

since the evap coil temp is lower than the dewpoint any air that passes thru the coil will be dehumidified. Condensate is the result of dehumidification.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DelSolDon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
now that i think about it, i guess it just circulates the cabin air through the A/C dryer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a dryer is part of the refrigeration system. It's purpose is to remove moisture from refrigerant in it's liquid state. Has nothing to do with airflow or dehumidification.

Modified by eda6 at 12:14 AM 11/1/2005
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then why does it help if you turn the A/C on? and why do newer model cars automatically kick on the A/C when you turn the selector to defrost? now that i think about it, i guess it just circulates the cabin air through the A/C dryer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you turn on the A/C, the air is typically chilled below the dewpoint temperature. In other words, water vapor in the air condenses out to liquid, lowering the moisture content of the air. This lowered moisture content gives the air more capacity hold moisture due to condensation on the windows, especially after it is reheated. I should also note that ANY type of refrigeration (whether it be mechanical, electronic, etc) will have the same effect.