pros and cons of buying a jdm engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of buying a jdm engine?

hey im thinking about buying an jdm ef9 front clip with b16 for my 89 crx si. what kind of problems should i expect other then getting it through customs and taking months to recieve it??

will my accessories need to be jdm or are they interchangible with usdm?

i know jdm engines are slightly different but what makes them so special?
longer cam duration and slightly higher compression right??

and am i going to have to worry about putting a lower grade fuel in as opposed to the higher grades from japan?

i know there are a million other questions i cant think to ask right now but just warn me about anything youd want your best friend to know

thanks everyone for any information i appriciate it

Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons of buying a jdm engine? (berts95ej)

Everyone likes to say that there jdm engine has 30 to 40 thousand miles but then again how do you really kno.I have a jdm d15b and it ran great and never gave me any problems and i was never sure of how many miles it had
Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pros and cons of buying a jdm engine? (spoonef)

its jdm whats the down side ?!?!

JDM y0!!

Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Rainman

Default Re: pros and cons of buying a jdm engine? (***-assin)

whats the big deal with JDM y0, its sooooo overplayed.

its just another country's bone *** stock ****.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like how none of you guys came through with an answer for this guy.

I don't know what you mean by accessories, but it'll plug up the same as a USDM B series.

The JDM Engines do typically have lower miles. I'm not gonna go into detail, but they typically do have around 30K to 50K KM's on them.

IDK exactly what the difference is but supposedly they have more HP and Torque. If that were true I'd probably attribute it to the ecu or the way the engine's being run. I dont think they have different internals.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (G0crxG0)

jdm motors, depending on which particular one it is will make slightly more power due to slightly higher compression. however in japan, they also run 100 octane gas...so theres your pwer number right there.

any pre 92 vtec motor, youll have to buy all your parts for the DA GSR car wit hthe b17a. its a pain cuz no one has any parts for this car and no one ever knows what the hell youre talking about.

now that ive stated the facts ill state my opinion.

since the motors are low milage, how do you think they are driven? put it this way...youre a 16 yr old asian kid...you know youre only goign to be allowed to drive your b16 crx for 50kms before they start to tax the **** out of you and youll have to get rid of it. so....you DRIVE THE **** OUT OF IT. you would like to think you are getting a pristine low/no miles engine but in reality...youre gettgin somethign that got HAMMERED for 50k, then sat in a warehouse for 16 yrs.

now...what should you buy? nothing as a whole. piece it together by yourself and take your time. build it yourself so it has ZERO miles on it. why would anyone EVER by something that someone else has run the **** out of and gotten rid of?

BTW, b16a1, usdm and jdm are identical P30 motors. and the B16a, was only available over there. now...the a1 is a better motor. so.....due to deductive logic...a USDM b16a1 is a better motor than a jdm b16a. food for thought.

cliffs notes: jdm is hype, build it yourself.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xDEFTONESx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xDEFTONESx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
since the motors are low milage, how do you think they are driven? put it this way...youre a 16 yr old asian kid...you know youre only goign to be allowed to drive your b16 crx for 50kms before they start to tax the **** out of you and youll have to get rid of it. so....you DRIVE THE **** OUT OF IT. you would like to think you are getting a pristine low/no miles engine but in reality...youre gettgin somethign that got HAMMERED for 50k, then sat in a warehouse for 16 yrs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Bro, do you know how early 30-50k is in a cars life? very early.
I see people dog the **** outta cars for alot more then that.
I thinkn it's an unfair assumtion that they have no respect for their car simply b/c they wont be keepin it that long
Plus keep in mind there are car wrecks everyday, and thats a huge source for engines.
Also, did you ever consider this:
Due to the huge American demand for JDM stuff, these cars are sometimes worth more parted out for the engine and other things, rather then being sold as a whole.

IMO, JDM (as always) is just on the receiving end of the "uneccessary hating" stick
I got my JDM engine, and it's ****** imaculate. Everything on it is pristine, the internals are clean as a whistle. When I open it up in the future I'll make sure to take pics, for reference in situations like this

EDIT: BTW in reference to the engine *******, did you ever stop to think these are performance engines we're talking about, meant to be driven hard?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xDEFTONESx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jdm motors, depending on which particular one it is will make slightly more power due to slightly higher compression. however in japan, they also run 100 octane gas...so theres your pwer number right there.

any pre 92 vtec motor, youll have to buy all your parts for the DA GSR car wit hthe b17a. its a pain cuz no one has any parts for this car and no one ever knows what the hell youre talking about.

now...what should you buy? nothing as a whole. piece it together by yourself and take your time. build it yourself so it has ZERO miles on it. why would anyone EVER by something that someone else has run the **** out of and gotten rid of?

BTW, b16a1, usdm and jdm are identical P30 motors. and the B16a, was only available over there. now...the a1 is a better motor. so.....due to deductive logic...a USDM b16a1 is a better motor than a jdm b16a. food for thought.

cliffs notes: jdm is hype, build it yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i totaly agree!!!! think about it... if u only have the car for 50k KM, your not going to care about the car much at all!!! i bet u wont even change the oil/filter/air filter.. but i also gota say its a 50/50 chance of getting a good one.. just buy from a rep. place.. i buy my motors from ATTARCO.COM i have gotten 2 sohc zc's and 1 dohc zc and i motor for a dodge colt(friend of ours) and i have had NO problems with any of them.. when i first put them in i usually use reg. 10w30 motor oil and use engine restore in them.. then change the oil in about 200 miles to a semi synthetic oil... then after about 2,000 i put some royal purple in
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Re: pros and cons of buying a jdm engine? (berts95ej)

I have bought 2 JDM engines (for 2 different CRX's) and both ran better that the original engine. The only wierd thing is my '87 1.5 carb engine uses '88 up oil filters. I have put 60K miles on that '87 and with a Weber carb it is considerably faster than is should be.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G0crxG0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bro, do you know how early 30-50k is in a cars life? very early.
I see people dog the **** outta cars for alot more then that.
I thinkn it's an unfair assumtion that they have no respect for their car simply b/c they wont be keepin it that long
Plus keep in mind there are car wrecks everyday, and thats a huge source for engines.
Also, did you ever consider this:
Due to the huge American demand for JDM stuff, these cars are sometimes worth more parted out for the engine and other things, rather then being sold as a whole.

IMO, JDM (as always) is just on the receiving end of the "uneccessary hating" stick
I got my JDM engine, and it's ****** imaculate. Everything on it is pristine, the

internals are clean as a whistle. When I open it up in the future I'll make sure to take pics, for reference in situations like this

EDIT: BTW in reference to the engine *******, did you ever stop to think these are performance engines we're talking about, meant to be driven hard? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yes, and I think I may have found a quote for my sig, but im not really sure how

to put em on there yet but im gonna try. I just for some reason really like this part "I

got my JDM engine, and it's ******* imaculate" America expletive YEA. JDM engines FTW ....JdM Y000000000000000000000
Old 06-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xDEFTONESx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xDEFTONESx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jdm motors, depending on which particular one it is will make slightly more power due to slightly higher compression. however in japan, they also run 100 octane gas...so theres your pwer number right there.

cliffs notes: jdm is hype, build it yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ur facts might be a little off...Since japan has a different scale for it's octane rating it's 100 octane isn't the same as the 100 octane we get here in the states. The engines do make more power cuz of higher compression tho.

I dont know what ur talking about wit any pre 92 vtec motor having to source parts from the b17a. I have a 91 JDM b16a in my garage that I used parts from the 94-95 del sol on. Maybe a couple little things I got from a b17a but for the most part everythings basically compatible to most of the other vtec engines out there.

You have to be 18 to drive in japan and it's really really expensive to even own a car there. I highly doubt that even a high percentage of people are beating on their cars over there especially with the price of gasoline to be even higher than ours. Not to mention basically wherever you go there's a tollbooth.

You could always buy an engine whole and then rebuild it. I bought my b16a for 400 and then rebuilt it. I'm guessing it cost less than buying all the parts separately.

The b16a1 is EDM not JDM or USDM...

And finally the jdm craze is hype but I really dont understand how that has anything to do with building it yourself?

Modified by michaelOlson at 1:13 PM 6/27/2006

Modified by michaelOlson at 1:14 PM 6/27/2006
Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (michaelOlson)

jdm motors are great plainand simply, only problem i have ever had wasi got a lsd swap and the tranny was going out. motor was great!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

in all honesty im not concerned with my engine being jdm... i could actually care less. i just want to know if i buy this will parts be readily availible and is the ecu going to "freak out" when it sees a difference in fuel quality. but i do thank you all for your infomation. and ill check out the posted website to possibly find a different engine.

i would love to build an engine.. but due to my circumstances i really need to get this thing on the road, and then i will go from there. once again thanks for all the posts but any more information would be good!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (berts95ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonef &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everyone likes to say that there jdm engine has 30 to 40 thousand miles but then again how do you really kno.I have a jdm d15b and it ran great and never gave me any problems and i was never sure of how many miles it had</TD></TR></TABLE>

The amount of play where your connecting rods and crank meet is determined on mileage or abuse.. when i got my dohc zc it was around 50k
Old 06-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone here keeps saying all the asian kids beat on their CRX's and Tegs and such.

Since i DOUBT Japan has 80% 16 year old boys, that means its probably just like over here.

Yes some JDM engines have been beaten on for their lifetime, but only the same proportion as over here, the chances of finding a bad apple are just as bad as finding a bad engine over here. I would even think the engine importers are going to be better, because unlike junkyard, they do check their engines for problems. They might not open them up, but its better than nothing.

Most japanese engines have the claimed, 30-50k or 50-80k, but thats because japan is about the size of the province of B.C. and driving there is gridlock 70% of the time.

I would definately buy a JDM engine from a major supplier ( like hmotorsonline.com), and would trust their stuff far more than i would anything at a junkyard.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18a_CRX)

Pros of JDM motors:

1. They typically have more HP than their USDM equivalents
2. They are often cheaper than their USDM equivalents (especially DOHC VTEC motors).
3. They typically have fewer miles on them
4. Bling factor (if this matters to you).

Cons of JDM motors:

1. If California, you must buy USDM emissions gear on the side to be legal
2. If you live far from an importer, shipping costs can be hefty
3. Parts can be hard to get for JDM motors without a USDM equivalent (ie DOHC ZC)
4. That white, flaky corrosion on the block.