Projectors and real HID

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projectors and real HID

My real HID setup lights up the road very well with my stock reflector headlights, will projector headlights kill some of the road lighting ability? Anyone here running those 2 setups together?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (RedRacerCivic)

I'm not sure, but I think it'd provide better lightning. Projector headlights "project" more lumens of light, which allow better lightning than standard headlights..so I'd assume that when paired with HID, it is better. However, I have heard that Projectors and HID's are a bad combination, because the projectors hold more heat in, and the HID's produce more heat...so I've heard that you can melt your projectors. I don't know how valid that claim is, but it sounds reasonable to me.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (RedRacerCivic)

Projectors are awful, period. Why do you think 3gen Integra owners do JDM swaps. The light emitted from projector is focused and the light pattern disperses poorly. If I were you I'd save my money.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:54 PM
xbB

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (CRXRageD)

Projectors are NOT awful. The cheap ones that use fog light lens ARE. 3rd gen integra owners do jdm front end conversions because of the look. The headlights are still projectors. As long as the projector is built correctly it will offer better vision.

Avoid any that use H3 bulb because that signifies that they just stuck a foglight projector in there.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:32 PM

TTT, anyone here running those 2 setups together?
Old 07-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know about HID's producing MORE heat. I have the philips 9006 kit on my hatch and i feel no heat at all (as compared to the stock bulb) when touching the front of the headlight. I hear HID's produce a little heat during warm up but actual running temp. are much much cooler compared to the standard bulb.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (fourthgenhatchB17)

I believe they run cooler due to their lower wattage. 35w vs 55w.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:19 AM

As I said...I'm not sure how reliable the information is, but I am fairly confident that the projectors hold more heat in, so that may be a problem.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As I said...I'm not sure how reliable the information is, but I am fairly confident that the projectors hold more heat in, so that may be a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know how reliable ur info. is either...i have never heard of that problem associated with projectors. EVEN if they did "hold more heat in" it doesnt matter because HID's dont produce enough of it anyway to cause concern.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (CRXcellent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXcellent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3rd gen integra owners do jdm front end conversions because of the look. The headlights are still projectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-27-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (Mr.Saturn)

I am running both HID's and APC Projector headlights

the APC projectors are garbage, they are fukin horrible, the lenses throw the light everywhere, i can see birds in the tree's at night

as far as heat goes, HID's run much cooler than standard Halogen bulbs

if you get projectors, DO NOT GET APC's
Old 07-27-2003, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (CRX A4)

anyone have experience with these:

I can't find out who makes them so I don't know if they are fog projectors or quality ones.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (CRX A4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX A4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am running both HID's and APC Projector headlights

the APC projectors are garbage, they are fukin horrible, the lenses throw the light everywhere, i can see birds in the tree's at night

as far as heat goes, HID's run much cooler than standard Halogen bulbs

if you get projectors, DO NOT GET APC's</TD></TR></TABLE>

All APC crap are garbage.

The reason most people say HID melts their projector is
#1 THey are running crappy projectors.
#2. They are running crappy HID.

If i'm going with HID. I'll go with Phillips HID.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Projectors and real HID (Mr.Saturn)

I have the same basic setup - those (at least they look like them with clear instead of blue), and a Xenon Depot 9006 setup.

So far, so good - well, except for the fact that the low beams on those projectors use 9005s, so we had to modify the back of them to accept the 9006 HIDs. No biggie, though.

Honestly, light doesn't seem to be that much impressively great, but I've really only driven the car once at night since I got them installed. I should know more / have some pics after next weekend's big Englishtown Honda/Acura event.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:06 PM

For the third time. I said "I heard"...I never said I had personal experience with projectors and HID's.

Those projectors you posted the picture look similar to the projectors my brother has on his hatch, so I'll have to ask him about that...
Old 07-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Prince of Zamunda

For 499 is the phillps 6000k a bad deal and it's made in Germany and I can get the Blue or purple output
Old 07-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Nikon!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As I said...I'm not sure how reliable the information is, but I am fairly confident that the projectors hold more heat in, so that may be a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you repeted it twice, im pretty sure you belive its true. but in actuality the HIDs produce less heat than a standard bulb.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (neuspeed)

I did the whole aftermarket projector w/h3 6000k philips Hids

they perform like CRAP - don't even bother going there. The reason why they perform like crap is the projector housing is made for foglights NOT driving headlights. the foglight projector scatters light all over the place, not to mention the cutoff was completely crooked...like / /

BTW HIDs run at 35w but require much more to excite the xenon gas - hence the color changing when first turned on. what ever the guy above said about HIDs producing too much heat in projectors is completely false (sorry )

and those CRX projectors pictured above are crap (IMO) if the use h3 bulbs...i tried to find aftermarket projectors that use 9005 or 9006 (reg. headlight projectors) bulbs but had no luck

see links for retrofitting BMW projectors into civic headlight units
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=495898
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=576201
Old 07-31-2003, 09:30 AM

"Projectors are awful, period. Why do you think 3gen Integra owners do JDM swaps." - CRXRageD

Ha...thats the funniest thing I've heard all week. Good one my friend. You were kidding right????? Some people.........
Old 07-31-2003, 10:54 AM

Default Re: (adirondackR)

This the BMW lights could be retrofitted to the projectors I posted? Stock have all the lines and crap in the glass and wouldn't work too well on a CRX.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:29 AM
H.crx-si

I have the projectors in silver shown above and mine came with 9005 low beam lights they seems to light up decently well a bit better then stock did with a pretty decent cutoff
Old 07-31-2003, 11:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXRageD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Projectors are awful, period. Why do you think 3gen Integra owners do JDM swaps. The light emitted from projector is focused and the light pattern disperses poorly. If I were you I'd save my money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1st JDM Teg front ends Have Projector lights and "good" projectors spread the light better. With that said most if not all aftermarket projectors are crap and look dumb IMO..
Old 07-31-2003, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (thaiphob)

If thinking like that keeps you happy, then go for it...no pain for me. I was just posting information which I figured might be helpful to him, and I said at the beginning that I did not know if it was true or not..just wanted to help. Shame on me for having good intentions, right? The non-elitist class out there is becoming a minority, I supose
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM

Those prjectors above the black housing ones, SUCK! They do use 9006 Bulbs. But the lense is for fog lights so the beam pattern sucks the light output sucks. All around the whole setup sucks. My stock headlights and HID's are way better IMO.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i saw a crx with regular head lights with the "white light" syle HID's (the ones eveyone says to get) 43K or somthing .. anyway .. his were bright as hell .. i think you would be unhappy with the projectors and HID's just get the HIDs .. if you like them cool say with em .. if not get some projectors and see if you like that better

Quick Reply: Projectors and real HID