project Hybred

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:30 AM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default project Hybred

So I bought this crx way back in the late 90's not winter driven(yea it makes a difference in Canada). It has gone through many phases from stock, to body kits, and d16-b16-b18c motors. Unfortunately I cant easily undo some of the stuff I did, but it is time to update it again.

The plan is a k20, lsd, infinity, work the bugs out, then turbo, work those bugs out, then setting the body up for 275 wide rubber, and go racing with it again. It will be a long process because I plan to do most of the building myself, and will be taking time to do things the way I want them, instead of the easy way.

heres some early shots of its progression over the years up to its current form.

I will be updating as I get started on parts, and get them installed
Attached Images          

Last edited by 2XS; 05-11-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: project Hybred

Pretty cool that you've stuck with it over the years and have continually evolved it, I'm looking forward to see this new phase happen.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great, kudos for sticking with it. I think peoples tasteful personal touches are missing from the car scene these days.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

nothing really special done yet, sanded the block, then painted it.

The wiring harness I got was taken apart by someone else because they wanted to do a tuck... note to self... next time just start with a stock untouched one. The rats nest he gave me took all day to get half it sorted for a mild tuck. hopefully be finished the harness on the engine tomorrow.

I started on the water plate, and got the alternator brackets started also. I will be using the electric water pump I had from my b
Attached Images        
Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

not much accomplished today, being mothers day and all, but I did start chopping the original water pump housing to make a new thermostat housing out of it
Attached Images     
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome!!

I was fortunate to not have money for painting a body kit, so I never got into body kits on my '98. I was lucky to never have any 'permanent' mods on my original Civic; however I really don't mind your look, that's actually quite cool. To pull off that look you should stick to big wheels like a 16 or 17. even the big wing in the middle pic is actually quite nice.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

wheels are already 18's, and they are staying for a while just going to go wider, and the wing and solar wing may return some day.

I got the block off plate mounted the alternator brackets done and alt mounted, the water pump bracket is complete, and almost finished up the thermostat housing
Attached Images      
Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 PM
EFB055

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool progress.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:11 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

got the back side of the motor wires cleaned up, finished the water pump, alternator brackets, and the thermostat housing so it functions just like stock except the water pump doesn't run off the engine. Also took time to clean inside the bell housing, and sand down the tranny and put paint on both to help keep it looking good longer. Then I went back to working on the wiring on the front side because I put a couple things in the wrong place.
Attached Images       
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

doesn't look a lot different today, but it is completely wired. next is to plumb, and maybe cut the intake
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

some pieces didn't show up in the plumbing, so I spent some time cleaning up the intake. its just roughed in yet, because I'm debating moving the throttlebody to the other side, and doing a small p&p while I'm at it
Attached Images   
Old 05-27-2017, 05:35 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

finished the plumbing, finished off the intake, and remounted the wiring, intake, throttle body, and put the blue fuel rail on just to see it but a black one is on its way. Also tucked all the hose nipples, and map sensor under the intake where they will be hiden, ported the throttlebody to the spacer, to the intake, and some mile portwork inside the intake. next is starting to work on the tranny mount, and smooth out the valve cover
Attached Images      
Old 05-28-2017, 03:54 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

started on a tranny side mount today, got the base done. it will be polished, but not until I get the rest done because it will probably get scratched anyway
Attached Images      
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

shaved the valve cover today. Its hard to tell without a side by side comparison everything that is changed, but when it all comes together, it should look really clean. Its going the same color as the car exterior, along with the intake for now. possibly when I get it in and the bugs worked out, and bored, I will take them off and polish both pieces

hopefully tomorrow I will be able to mount the light flywheel, clutch and then mount the tranny
Attached Images       
Old 05-29-2017, 08:36 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

In for this!

Are you running a dry sump system for your oil setup?

Or are you going to go the 'take of the VC to change the oil and inspect the valve train at the same time route?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:36 AM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

I am putting a 45 deg an16 fitting on the back of the vc with a cap, low so it is hidden. just need to get the motor in, and sidewinder manifold on to make sure I put it where I have clearance
Old 06-04-2017, 12:22 AM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

its been a few days since I updated.
I got the passenger side mount hacked off, and the hasport one bolted back up, just have to finish welding it. Started on the sparkplug cover, changed the way I plumbed the head return because it was really tight and polished and mounted the pass side engine mount, and new fuel rail, and fpr. Hopefully I will have the engine ready to go in the hole by the end of the weekend so I can finish the tranny mount.
Attached Images     
Old 06-06-2017, 05:54 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

.finished the spark plug cover. while waiting for the paint to dry I built a little cart to set the motor and tranny on. mounted the fidenza flywheel, clutch, and tranny. I started trying to figure out how to reverse the throttle rotor so it could be used on a k, finish welded the mount, and painted it, then rolled the motor around and dropped it in the hole. Forgot that I had to clearance the rear crossmember, so it is still a bit crooked, and I need to build a traction bar asap and finish the mounts.
Attached Images           
Old 06-10-2017, 05:48 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

worked on getting the motor in the hole square, and finished the drivers side mount. I will probably lighten it up in the future, but for now I just want to move on to other stuff. I also got started on the traction bar that I plan to tuck under the rad support
Attached Images     
Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

started on the rear mount.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2017, 04:00 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

productive weekend, finished rear mount, figured out I didn't plan the traction bar correctly. It wont tuck under the rad mount unless I space it down a lot, so I rebuilt that main bar, and made the front mount. both front and rear will need a little finish welding when the motor comes back out, but it is now sitting in the hole completely on its own. Also I figured out the rbc manifold wont clear without cutting the good, and I'm really not interested in that, so I took it off till I decide whether I'm spacing the motor down, getting a different manifold, or just cutting this one up more to make it fit, and lastly, I got a new mint hvac control, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go back to stock or leave it as it has been for years in the armrest
Attached Images       
Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

got busy for a while, but spend a day last weekend working on the traction bar, and also, the wire tuck for the pass. side. Made my own misalignment spacers,and blocks for the bolt holes so the tube woulndt get crushed.,
Attached Images         
Old 07-06-2017, 07:18 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks good! Are you a fabricator by trade?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice !
Old 07-07-2017, 11:07 AM
2XS
Honda-Tech Member

I wish that was my trade, I would have some way cooler tools to make stuff with.

Quick Reply: project Hybred