Notices

Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose?

ok i have a dohc ZC in my 91 sedan with stock DX tranny and a 6 puck ACT clutch with their pressure plate and stock fly wheel.... when i got the engine i did not touch the flywheel i just bolted up the clutch assembly but did not use a torque wrench 8(.... now when i start the car up u hear a slight knocking when its at idle but when i press the clutch pedal down it stops and sometimes it will just go away completly and randomly come back... i think this is what the problem is and will be taking off my trans this weekend to take a look...

but my question is what will i be looking at if my pressure plate falls off somehow when i am driving

Add- Ive had the car running for awhile too before i came upon this problem and im hoping it will be ok till this weekend
Old 06-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (Sohc 4door Rye)

come on now.....

what do you think would happen?

i honestly think the sound you hear is your throwout bearing, or release bearing as some call it.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (STREETWERKZ)

ya? why would it be making a noise? when i ride the clutch it shakes a bit and make a knocking noise....i got a new throw out bearing with the kit
Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (Sohc 4door Rye)

hey im just curious lol id rather here about it and scare my self into not driving it all week so im not out of a car again ive had some bad luck due to stupid errors 8(
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, shaking? yeah bro..... i wouldnt drive it. take the trans back out and redo it or replace what broke. i had a spring pack break once, it shook like no tomorrow and was real scary.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (STREETWERKZ)

hey thanks for the advice ill try to back off driving it i just hope thats what it is... it doesn't shake to horrible but if i don't rev match and downshift it shakes but other then that im ok at first i thought it might have been a old motor mount because when i shifted hard into 2nd and 3rd sometimes u would hear a tiny knock (not the pull of the car) like the motor hitting something and even sometimes taking off in 1st u can hear like a metal on metal screech for a split second but this is all rarely
Old 06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take your trans back off and properly torque all the bolts to the correct specs, including the flywheel, before we all have to read you next thread titled "my clutch exploded, what do i do now".
Old 06-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I told you to wait in the truck in Texas, United States
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (PURPLETERROR aka BIGMATT)

If the bolts back out,they will cut a big *** hole in the
transmission case.. then it will dump tranny fluid all over the
clutch and it will fry..ask me how I know...

edit: PS> use loctite and read the instructions
It says if you use new grade 8 bolts you can
tighten more than the book calls for and gives the specs..
Old 06-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Pressure Plate Loose? What happens if it becomes really loose? (88DXCRX)

ok soo today i took of my trans to find out that everything is fine i even took off everything(besides flywheel cause i have never touched it) including throw out bearing...i didn't have to time to put it back on so im going to put it off till tomarrow...but does anyone know what else could be making this noise while i have the trans off? it went away when i pressed the clutch in and was a constant ticking even when pressing gas it was always the same speed unless i had the clutch down
Old 06-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

change your t/o bearing and pilot bearing