Notices

possible frame problem with motor swap and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible frame problem with motor swap and other questions

um ya, ive been researching a lot on getting a jdm d15b vtec for my 91 std hatch, pricing out how much its gonna cost, like ~400 for the motor, ~150 for the si tranny, ~2-400 for p28 ecu w/ hondata, ~300 for the obd0-obd1/dpfi-mpfi and vtec wiring from rywire, and like anotoher 100-300 for total shipping on everything combined. but i do have a slight problem, my rocker panels and rear 1/4 panels are rusted to ****. my dad sais before i go out and spend $1000+ on getting a motor swap, that i should get my frame and such checked out, cuz he thinks my car's frame is rusted out and the car will fall apart with a motor swap.

but i was thinking 2 things.. 1) the d15b (non vtec 60 hp dpfi) i already have in there is basically the same thing as the engine im looking at, only its non vtec and has half the power, and im guessing they weigh pretty close to the same, and ive had this car for over a year now and havent had any problems with that, and 2) i dont know what the quarter panels and rocker panels have anything to do with the engine bay itself, since they are rusted, i dont know how that would effect the engine bay since its on the opposite side of the car.

but ya, im also haveing some suspension issues where like everytime i accelerate passed 30-35, my car starts vibrating like a ***** and makes a lot of noise from underneath, but i already researched that, and its looking like its a lug nut problem or wheel bearing, it cant be the tires cuz i just had them balanced and rotated like 2 weeks ago, but when i put them back on, i forgot to torque the lug nuts, so they might be lose.

but ive also been thinking about something, even after i do this swap, which will double my hp, and give me a 5 speed with vtec, will any of that even be noticable with my stock 2 milimiter exhaust piping? (dont know how big it actually is, just like using that number for it cuz its so ******* small and funny to look at)

so ya, main question is what you guys think about my frame issue, wondering if anyone in these forums has had engine problems because they have no frame to support the engine, and ya you guys will probly need to know how serious rust im talking about, so i can get some pictures up here soon
Old 01-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: possible frame problem with motor swap and other questions (Bjorn20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but ive also been thinking about something, even after i do this swap, which will double my hp, and give me a 5 speed with vtec, will any of that even be noticable with my stock 2 milimiter exhaust piping? (dont know how big it actually is, just like using that number for it cuz its so ******* small and funny to look at)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a stock muffler put on right now, and I couldn't really feel a difference from my full 2.5" exuahst system. Yours is still going to haul alot more *** than it does now.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: possible frame problem with motor swap and other questions (Bjorn20)

lalalala
Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the vibration is probably bad ball joints.. if you have some money, change the ball joints, tie rods and upper ball joints to make sure you have fresh hardware in there. if you are getting the problem more under hard braking you may replace your rack end bushing as well. all total, those parts would be like $100-$150 dollars and take probably a day to change it all out. that may well get rid of the vibration all together.. just get an alignment after you do it. and torque your lug nuts to 80 ft/lbs... cause if you dont torque them you might warp your rotors.. and thats just more money.

as for the frame issues.. how much rust are we talking here? unless your car has been hit and a large portion of the body was replaced, i doubt you have any frame issues. you can usually tell if your cars frame is messed up if you take it to an aligment place and your aligmnet is like 10 degrees out or something. if all your car has is a little rear end rust, then swap it, and if you decide you like the car enough take it to a body shop and have them fix the rust, or learn to weld and do it yourself.

your dad sounds a lot like my dad. .. he forgot that you want to swap it cause you like driving your car and like going fast, not because you have too much money and want to throw it at a 15 year old car. .. . just tell him you want to build a sleeper and maybe he will understand. and if he still give you hell about it, do it anyway.. and then offer to race him in his vehicle..