Notices

Possible 89 CRX purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Possible 89 CRX purchase?

Good morning, guys! I've been on HT for a while, but I mostly stay within the confines of the EG/EK section. I'm in the market for a project car, and an 89 CRX Si popped on FB. The seller just recently bought the car planning to Kswap it. He claims he has too many cars and has lost interest. Here's where I come in. As I said, I'm more familiar with the EG/EK's so I was wondering if the EF gurus could take a lot at some photos and maybe point me in the right direction... Apparently, it's an A6 block with either a ZC or Z6 head, maybe a Y8, but he hadn't paid attention to which ECU it's running.
He said he brought it home on a trailer, drove it around his neighborhood and then parked it months ago. I'm planning on at least going to check it out in the next couple of days if he doesn't sell it. I've always dreamed of owning a CRX, but I don't want someone's half-assed hack job. What do you guys think?

Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Possible 89 CRX purchase?

Well that harness looks terrifying, and it's missing a bunch of parts. It's got cancer in the usual places.. What's he asking for it? What are your goals with it? Any work on the suspension? Does he know if it still runs?

At 29 years old it's going to need just about every suspension bushing if it hasn't been done, then you'll need to find a bumper.. Any emissions testing in your state? That would be my primary concern with that swap if it actually runs fine.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Originally Posted by sumdewd
Well that harness looks terrifying, and it's missing a bunch of parts. It's got cancer in the usual places.. What's he asking for it? What are your goals with it? Any work on the suspension? Does he know if it still runs?

At 29 years old it's going to need just about every suspension bushing if it hasn't been done, then you'll need to find a bumper.. Any emissions testing in your state? That would be my primary concern with that swap if it actually runs fine.
Yeah, I noticed a few loose wires and plugs. Seeing loose wire hastily wrapped in electrical tape is always concerning. He's asking $900, apparently it runs and drives fine. AFAIK, it's all stock besides the swap. I already have a daily (EK Hatch), so this would probably end up being an extended build...possibly track or AutoX. So basically I'd be tearing the whole thing apart anyways... and end up spending way more money on it than it could ever possibly be worth. As far as the cancer goes, I'll have to get a closer look to see if it's something I'd be able to grind down and fill or have to cut out and weld in new QP's. I'm in KG, Virginia so we have no emissions testing, just a yearly safety inspection.

It's getting more and more difficult to find CRX's that aren't rusted to **** or priced in the 3-4K range. To me, any car that age isn't worth what people think they're worth. Just because you spent $2K on parts for a $1K car, that doesn't mean the car is worth $3K. A + B does not = C when it comes to these cars...
Old 12-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with sumdewd that wiring looks like a mess. It looks like the left headlight is fitting poorly, obviously missing a bumper/bar/absorber, and the upper radiator bar (red) is from another car. I suspect this thing has been in a pretty bad front end crash and would be worried about other damage, mainly frame damage.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Doesn't look too terrible. Wiring will need addressed, but mine was 10x worse. Just be okay with redoing it your own way and not trying to get it back to OEM because that likely won't be possible.

Rust not too bad either, just take care of it right away and undercoat to protect your investment. Then B swap it and make it your own hack job

I would try to talk em down though, just knowing how much work you'll have into it to make it drive nice. Running and driving and being safe or ready for performance mods are two different things. I know this first hand, after doing brakes, ball joints, bushings, control arms, tie rods, steering rack, and the list goes on.... that **** adds up.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with 2x0. It doesnt look THAT bad. Looks like the MAP sensor wires were extended to reach the throttle body, and some other wiring was ran. Either for gauges or because he is using an OBD2 distributor, which means that IS a y8 head, because y8 and z6 dizzys cant bolt up to their reciprocated heads. Also obd2 dizzy doesnt have the internal cam sensor, like obd1... rust is definitely going to be found on the EFs. I just bought an EF earlier this year. Has a little rust but im gonna tackle it because Ive wanted a EF for a long time and now i finally have one. Do a b series swap and make the car YOUR car. Take ur time since u have another car and build it to where YOU will appreciate it. im sure u can talk that guy down to $650
Old 12-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I talked to him some more last night. Said he's running a P28. This would be a long term project so I'm not too worried about how great it looks. Wait... wouldn't running an OBD2 dizzy on an OBD1 ecu requre an adapter harness of some kind?
I've been looking at a few other cars, including an EG hatch, so we'll see what happens. If it's still available by this weekend I'll go check it out. When I see cars in this condition, I can hear them calling for help. I see potential in every car, and therefore I want to rescue every car haha. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
Wait... wouldn't running an OBD2 dizzy on an OBD1 ecu requre an adapter harness of some kind?
OBDO distributor must be used with OBD0 ECU
OBD1 or OBD2 distributor can be used with OBD1 or OBD2 ECU

Your adapter harness needs to take whichever distributor you have and convert it to whichever harness you have. For OBD2 distributor, OBD1 ECU, and OBD0 engine harness, you'd just need OBD2 to OBD0 adapter harness.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:17 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Originally Posted by DaX
OBDO distributor must be used with OBD0 ECU
OBD1 or OBD2 distributor can be used with OBD1 or OBD2 ECU

Your adapter harness needs to take whichever distributor you have and convert it to whichever harness you have. For OBD2 distributor, OBD1 ECU, and OBD0 engine harness, you'd just need OBD2 to OBD0 adapter harness.
Gotcha, I'm still learning all this **** haha.

I was planning on going to look at the car today, but the guy has totally ghosted me, as most FB sellers do. So I guess the deal is off, unless dude magically reappears. Oh well, I've got my eyes on a rust-free 92 CX Hatch, so maybe that one will work out.

Thanks for all the insight, guys.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy that old Viper in the background instead

In all seriousness, it looks salvageable. Save it man!