Notices

Oregon CRX Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oregon CRX Build Thread

Congrats on the find. Here's my .02 -- Focus on the motor later. Go over the suspension, bushings, wheel bearings and brakes first. Take a good look at the RTA bushings especially. As you're working on this stuff res. the motor/tranny and save. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 89 crx hf here at One Stop if you need anything that i haven't taken already lol
Old 03-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by greenchad
I have a 89 crx hf here at One Stop if you need anything that i haven't taken already lol
Sounds good! Which lot are you talking about?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00siboy
Well since its a rolling shell, basically you need an engine and tranny to get it on the road right? Its totally up to your budget/goals for the car when deciding what to do next.

EDIT: Once you get it running, you will start to notice tons of stuff it needs, and you can just go from there.
Yes I definitely need the engine and the tranny, but I need other things too (exhaust, turn signals, etc.). I don't really know what else yet. That's why I need help.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
also in for a local/pac nw build!

take a day to inspect the whole car. look for ANY broken and or missing pieces, anything that doesn't work right, etc. and write it down.

as far as motors go, i'd look for a nice z6 or y8 swap, single cam vtec's are nice and peppy, and are fun with boost from what i read. or you can go zc, the DOHC is also a great little motor. alternatively you can go b series, a bit more costly but also has more benefits. or you can go baller and do an f/h/k/j series swap if you wanna go all out haha
There's definitely not too much to inspect that I haven't inspected already, but here's the problem...When I pop the hood, that's where I lose all sense of what I need and what I don't need. I know I need a motor and a tranny under there, but that's very broad. Apart from the motor and tranny I need to find out what else is needed under the hood, but I don't know where to start.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6
Looks like u need a engine harness too

Don't forget axles
I'm brand new to the car build scene so I'm really not sure exactly what I do and do not need. Do you have an email I can reach you at? Just looking for any help I can get.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by video_voide
Congrats on the find. Here's my .02 -- Focus on the motor later. Go over the suspension, bushings, wheel bearings and brakes first. Take a good look at the RTA bushings especially. As you're working on this stuff res. the motor/tranny and save. Good luck.
When you say to go over these things, I'm not exactly sure what I need to look for haha. I know I'll probably annoy some people before the end of this project, but I'm just learning. And what do you mean by "res. the motor/tranny and save?" Research?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Axles, shift linkage, mounts, wire harness, depending on obd 0 or 1 maybe a jumper harness, ecu, stereo, fender(s), body clips, signal lights, make sure to get bulbs for lights, replace any moldings that are missing or broke, hatch shocks, Check you suspension for where and replace whats worn or all its up to you. Paint it,
Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetsideStig
Cool project. I hope you can get it rolling.
I know I can. It's just a matter of when...I need it to be sooner than later.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91 EF DX
Axles, shift linkage, mounts, wire harness, depending on obd 0 or 1 maybe a jumper harness, ecu, stereo, fender(s), body clips, signal lights, make sure to get bulbs for lights, replace any moldings that are missing or broke, hatch shocks, Check you suspension for where and replace whats worn or all its up to you. Paint it,
That's pretty in depth. Wish I had a friend that could go over this stuff with me in person. I'd learn quicker.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Id help you but im across the county lol. I only know all this from tedius research in preparing for my up coming b20z swap into my 2wd civic wagon
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JustinV1988
There's definitely not too much to inspect that I haven't inspected already, but here's the problem...When I pop the hood, that's where I lose all sense of what I need and what I don't need. I know I need a motor and a tranny under there, but that's very broad. Apart from the motor and tranny I need to find out what else is needed under the hood, but I don't know where to start.
can you post up pix of the wires on both shock towers, as well as the ecu wiring under the passenger carpet?

from what i can see in engine bay, it looks like some one had a b series swap in there, your shift linkage looks like b series linkage, easy way to tell, however, is get under the car, and see if the linkage looks like it's been welded at all.

from the pics you posted, i can tell you this, you're going to need:
Motor mounts, either stock ones if you're going d series (there's 4 of them, front back and both sides) or aftermarket depending on what swap you do

a new engine harness, pix will help with which one you need

axles,

spedometer cable

the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter to the fuel rail

map sensor assembly (unless you get an obd1-2 throttle body from a 94 newer civic/integra)

coolant over flow bottle and hose

drivers wiper arm and blade (PLEASE!!)

a whole bunch of bolts
Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91 EF DX
Id help you but im across the county lol. I only know all this from tedius research in preparing for my up coming b20z swap into my 2wd civic wagon
I know it was a typo, but I wish you really were across the "county" haha. I could use some help.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post up pix of the wires on both shock towers, as well as the ecu wiring under the passenger carpet?

from what i can see in engine bay, it looks like some one had a b series swap in there, your shift linkage looks like b series linkage, easy way to tell, however, is get under the car, and see if the linkage looks like it's been welded at all.

from the pics you posted, i can tell you this, you're going to need:
Motor mounts, either stock ones if you're going d series (there's 4 of them, front back and both sides) or aftermarket depending on what swap you do

a new engine harness, pix will help with which one you need

axles,

spedometer cable

the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter to the fuel rail

map sensor assembly (unless you get an obd1-2 throttle body from a 94 newer civic/integra)

coolant over flow bottle and hose

a whole bunch of bolts
Ok so I found out that it had a B-Series swap in the past and I also have a buddy who has an ECU for a B-Series if I decide to go that route. I'll have to write down a checklist from what you suggested I check, and then I'll post the photos on here. First I need to tow the car to a spot where I can do all of that. Should be done within a few days hopefully.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean by please? lol
Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some more pics of inside the engine bay itself. I still have to check under the passenger carpet when I get the car towed to my house.

Tell me if you need more than this and I'll check under the carpet when I can. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that's been converted to mpfi before. which means you'll have to get another dx harness (which is easy, any 88-91 dpfi dx engine harness will work from any civic/crx that is dpfi factory)

b swap is easy, you'll need the mounts, axles, a b series cable transmission, mpfi swap, the ecu and of coarse the swap.

and about the wiper... your car isn't a Mercedes. put the other wiper arm and blade back on, and position the passenger one so its normal. its killing the looks of this car.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's been converted to mpfi before. which means you'll have to get another dx harness (which is easy, any 88-91 dpfi dx engine harness will work from any civic/crx that is dpfi factory)

b swap is easy, you'll need the mounts, axles, a b series cable transmission, mpfi swap, the ecu and of coarse the swap.

and about the wiper... your car isn't a Mercedes. put the other wiper arm and blade back on, and position the passenger one so its normal. its killing the looks of this car.
Hey! I'm rocking just a driver wiper powdercoating the passenger side to see if things still work with the spring hinge they always get sunfade and paint chipping, pc'ing should hold up better!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll have to locate an arm and blade assembly for it. This is how I obtained the vehicle. I completely agree with you that it kills the looks though haha. To be honest, I just thought that was how CRXs came stock. Didn't even think to take a closer look. As it seems, you know your stuff. I know Hondas are pretty basic, but is there a way I can contact you other than here on h-t? Maybe an e-mail or something? You'd be an extremely beneficial asset to me with my first build. I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread throughout the process. It'll make for an entertaining build. What do you say?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFnCRX
Hey! I'm rocking just a driver wiper powdercoating the passenger side to see if things still work with the spring hinge they always get sunfade and paint chipping, pc'ing should hold up better!
Sounds like a good idea, but let me know if everything works out.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got the CRX towed to town! More pics soon. Gonna strip more interior tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I should have that wiper arm here at One Stop Auto Wrecking or our sister yard U-pull it
here in Klamath Falls. we are right below the movie theatre on lakeport. we have 2 90-91 hatches and an 89 crx hf
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by greenchad
I should have that wiper arm here at One Stop Auto Wrecking or our sister yard U-pull it
here in Klamath Falls. we are right below the movie theatre on lakeport. we have 2 90-91 hatches and an 89 crx hf
Sounds good. I should be able to come by within the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My CRX is finally home! (Got into some more tear out today)

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Halfway taken care of

Quick Reply: Oregon CRX Build Thread