obx intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obx intake manifold?

Anybody use one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...36474

the straight piped stainless looking obx intake manifold? Do they work well? Good investment or not?
Old 12-14-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (Killa-X)

looks pretty, but I bet there's not much advantage over a Y8 or even Z6 intake mani
Old 12-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (eumoria)

I got one on my car, but its a 95 ex. You can defintly feel the topend gain, and also vtec will be a bit louder and the intake is louder. I got mine for sale if you are interested, hit me up
Old 12-14-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (sohcvtec1995)

post pics and a price.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (stangyaracing)

im at work so i cant post any pics right now, but you can email me Jcolon3k4@aol.com looking to get around 80 plus shipping
Old 12-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We bought one back in 2002 for the single cam, and it didn't fit because it hit the brake booster, so we ended up sending it back. There's more room in the 92-95 engine bay than the 88-91 Civics.

I've come to the conclusion that it's made for a JDM right hand drive Civic(4th gen)/CRX. Unless someone has a picture of one installed in their car...
Old 12-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (Machine1)

See, I was wondering if it's a good intake for turboing or not. People say it's not R&D's for all motor, but for boost (some say) it shouldn't matter. Also if it didn't work out, I could make a nice ITB setup with it, since the runners are perfectly round, and are straight into the head. Also it looks pretty. And the chicks dig pretty.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:00 AM

Don't get it, it's a waste of money. With OBX there's next to no R&D with their parts
Old 12-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (SiRex91)

do you need R&D if you're boosting? The unit looks just like the venom one. Basically just a box with 4 runners connected to the head.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killa-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you need R&D if you're boosting? The unit looks just like the venom one. Basically just a box with 4 runners connected to the head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Any good part will have research and development into it. Runner length, plenium size, plenium design, etc are all very important no matter what the engine is. How do you know that it will make power if it there is no R&D into it. Take a look at what people are using on their high HP Honda's and I can assure you that 99.9% of them are not using OBX.

Take a look at OBX's product line, and you can see the quality of their products.

-Andrew, who will never let an OBX product touch his car.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

No, OBX is a waste of money. A buddy has that **** on his car, and it rubs against his brake booster. He refuses to get rid of that POS.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the brake booster isn't an issue for me, cuz I don't have one. Just the master cylinder. And i'm not 99%,, i'm 100% positive that high hp pro honda drag cars aren't using obx, but they're using $1000 sheetmetal intake manifolds that i can't afford.

I was just wondering what people who actually owned one thought. Not what the grapevine said about OBX.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killa-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the brake booster isn't an issue for me, cuz I don't have one. Just the master cylinder. And i'm not 99%,, i'm 100% positive that high hp pro honda drag cars aren't using obx, but they're using $1000 sheetmetal intake manifolds that i can't afford.

I was just wondering what people who actually owned one thought. Not what the grapevine said about OBX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you don't have power-assist brakes on your car at all?
Old 12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Intake Manifold Mods (excluding porting) are one of the most overdone, expensive and worthless mods you can do to a car.
Intake Manifold might give you a projected number hp gain(10 or so), but it will be at peak power or some random point of your power curve. Usually what it does is mess up the rest of the curve. As a rule of thumb, long intake runners will boost your low-end and short runners will give you more top end, but engine displacement is also a key ingredient. There is an ideal runner length for producing power at a given speed ((that's what companies usually advertise(10-15hp gains), but note, that is only(usually) at a certain engine speed, and engine don't constantly run @ the same speed)). This is why getting a intake manifold is not always better. In my experience with Honda intake manifolds, they make some of the best manifolds for anything less than an all out racing motor. Seriously.

Whatever your choice, keep this in mind. An intake manifold that flows more, is not always correlated to more power. This is because your engine will only produce more power if more air is consumed by it. This is the concept behind turbos - FORCE more air in and the engine will produce more power. The whole motor must consume more air. Added flow ability does not mean more power. That's my 2¢
Old 12-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (Lucias_D)

That is B series intake manifolds are really good - I haven't worked with d series or h that much. The stock B16A manifold is the best overall manifold in my opinion...
Old 12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRex91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you don't have power-assist brakes on your car at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, it's just the master cylinder now, no brake booster. It's a bigger master cylinder though, can't remember the size off hand. Suppose so shave off like 10 lbs.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:43 PM

i dont own one and i prolly wont but this is because i here that obx is total ****,compared to ss autochrome stuff,but hey people all have different oppinions and personally im going to take there advice and note use obx products.personally i would rather get a abs manifold over that.there about the same price.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: obx intake manifold? (Lucias_D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lucias_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Intake Manifold Mods (excluding porting) are one of the most overdone, expensive and worthless mods you can do to a car.
Intake Manifold might give you a projected number hp gain(10 or so), but it will be at peak power or some random point of your power curve. Usually what it does is mess up the rest of the curve. As a rule of thumb, long intake runners will boost your low-end and short runners will give you more top end, but engine displacement is also a key ingredient. There is an ideal runner length for producing power at a given speed ((that's what companies usually advertise(10-15hp gains), but note, that is only(usually) at a certain engine speed, and engine don't constantly run @ the same speed)). This is why getting a intake manifold is not always better. In my experience with Honda intake manifolds, they make some of the best manifolds for anything less than an all out racing motor. Seriously.

Whatever your choice, keep this in mind. An intake manifold that flows more, is not always correlated to more power. This is because your engine will only produce more power if more air is consumed by it. This is the concept behind turbos - FORCE more air in and the engine will produce more power. The whole motor must consume more air. Added flow ability does not mean more power. That's my 2¢ </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would definately agree with you. And I hope I'm not going back on what I may have said earlier, but this makes a lot of sense. This is the reason behind the dual runners of the (gsr??) So that it has different length runners at different rpm, to make more power overall. I don't know the exact theories behind boosting cars either, but I just thought that if i'm forcing twice as much air into the motor, it might be easier to force that air into the motor if the manifold was less restrictive, and had bigger runners.

Although you said porting isn't a waste of time, and instead of porting my own intake, i'd rather buy this OBX POS, that already has larger ports then my stock intake manifold. It's made of stainless steel (I believe) and is already smooth, and less restrictive. I'm not looking for 20 whp gains, but even if it gives me 5 hp throughout the rpm band, that's better over stock by 5%.

My other thinking was that, if the intake manifold is less restrictive, you can get more air into the engine, and that will get more air out, and could spool the turbo a little bit faster. This could be totally wrong, and if people have logical reasoning why this is the wrong idea, or have taken a fluid dynamics class and understand the properties of compressed air and can shed some light on this, that would be terrific. Although for drag racing i'm not really worried about spool. Some people seem to make a big deal out of it, but if you use a MSD launch control unit that cuts timing, you can build boost on the line, and when you take off, instant boost.

I wish more people like you posted, cuz that was good information. But people who post and say all OBX products suck, doesn't help me understand WHY this particular manifold is a bad idea or a good idea.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHOBIA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHOBIA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont own one and i prolly wont but this is because i here that obx is total ****,compared to ss autochrome stuff,but hey people all have different oppinions and personally im going to take there advice and note use obx products.personally i would rather get a abs manifold over that.there about the same price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who is ABS? I've also heard that ssautochrome sucks, but.... that's just talk, cuz I don't have any first hand knowledge to give a good reason why, and i bet most people wouldn't have first hand knowledge about OBX either.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:59 PM

verry true.but when you get a mass of people saying oh my obx headers cracked,leaked,broke under stress.then im usually going to listen.ive heard whole exhaust systems falling apart into pieces because of vibration.beats me i dont know first hand but i would rather not be another guy saying "dude obx sucks i was driving down the highway when ______ happends and i had to be towed home.its just a thought,that if so many people have had problems with the same company and the same parts then my instinct is going to tell me to stay the **** away from it.but again thats just me.good luck
Old 12-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHOBIA)

I agree with you on the headers part, but I've not heard many people saying, My intake manifold fell off my car the other day, ect.

I've heard lots of horror stories about the headers breaking, cuz of shitty welding, BUT...I've not heard these same things about the intake manifolds.

In addition to that, i've heard numerous people saying how DC sports headers are the ****, when I've seen some dc sports headers that were JUNK. My friend's primaries weren't the same size as the ports were. Lots of crap in the primaries that had to be polished away. He said he spent lots of time fixing up the header before he put it on his car. So are DC sports headers awesome? NO

Nothing that you pay a little bit of money for will be equal to something you pay a lot for. I'm sure that full-race's headers, and bisimoto, would be way better then OBX and DC sports, but people don't have a grand to throw at those parts.

AGAIN, HAS ANYBODY USED THIS INTAKE MANIFOLD? OR HAVE SEEN IN PERSON THIS INTAKE MANIFOLD, AND HAS AN OPINION ABOUT IT. please, no 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand info, or I heard on the net from this guy, turbodave....blah blah info.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 PM

Default Re: (Killa-X)

I have one in my 91. Its on a d16y7. It is ok, i would not recommend it thought, there is a lot of messing around to get it to fit right, and there is hardly any noticable increase in power. I would stick with a stock intake manifold unless ur going with some serious power and need the better flow, dont waste the money. Thats what i think.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jdmwizz87)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killa-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the brake booster isn't an issue for me, cuz I don't have one. Just the master cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Killa-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope, it's just the master cylinder now, no brake booster. It's a bigger master cylinder though, can't remember the size off hand. Suppose so shave off like 10 lbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're cracking me up.

obSUx

Old 12-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're cracking me up.

obSUx

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah, it's like this one.
http://www.kenskustomchassis.com/Import_Brakes.htm

But mine's a willwood, and I dunno what ken's is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmwizz87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have one in my 91. Its on a d16y7. It is ok, i would not recommend it thought, there is a lot of messing around to get it to fit right, and there is hardly any noticable increase in power. I would stick with a stock intake manifold unless ur going with some serious power and need the better flow, dont waste the money. Thats what i think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your PERSONAL feedback.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eda6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're cracking me up.

obSUx

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please don't post on this thread unless you've got some good FIRST HAND knowledge of why Ob-SUX.

thank you

Quick Reply: obx intake manifold?