Notices

Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid

Hello folks,

I used to be the type of individual who was relatively biased against FF cars. As a matter of fact, I never really invisioned myself driving one, untill I read about a dc5 ITR winning the 2003 MME 12hr endurance race. This feat proved that the FF layout could do well in a track setting when properly balanced and built--for me at least. Although, that was no mistery to me in the past, I just always felt that FF cars needed EXTRA work in order for them to simply be at par with FR sports cars. That being said, as paradoxical as it may sound, I appreciate all marques of cars, given that they are objectively well designed and perform well on the track.
I've mostly raced BMW's in BMWCCA events, but have also messed around with AE86's, Datsuns, and Miata's(well one ). Note that they are all FR. But, within the last year or so, I've been really contemplating getting a CRX and start my FF adventure here (or from there, i suppose. Hehe). I've seen some CRX's do exceptionally well at autocrosses and that has inevitably made me lust for one even more. My requirements for cars are generally this:

Light, solid handling, high-revving, and...FR. Kind of ambiguous, I know. But, by light, I mean something around 2k lbs. (Unless it's an NSX or STI hehe.)

That being said, I have some basic questions that I haven't really seen covered before. I really like the '88+ body style, but I was wondering what the differences (mechanical) are between 88/89 and 90/91 cars. Specifically, between Si's. So far, I am only aware of cosmetic differences--different bumper/lower valence.

I've been reading about swaps and suspension work regarding these cars, for a while now, but feel free to enlighten me with any specifics.

Big thanks in advance! Here are some pics of my old beaters:

1991 318is: M42 engine, LSD, M-technic suspension, Chip, Magnaflow exhaust, Advanced intake cam timing, and a sexy MOMO shift ****, hehe.

VID: http://s5.photobucket.com/albu...n.flv

1975 BMW 2002: Suspension, Suspension, and more Suspension! Tii header, ANSA exhaust, Weber carbs.

1985 AE86: Fairly stock. With a blown rad in this pic! lol
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice cars, but maybe you should consolidate, put the M42 in the 2002.

I was in the same boat as you, but CRX's are awesome, I just bought mine. Just keep reading around on here, they can be alot of fun.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thehatchninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice cars, but maybe you should consolidate, put the M42 in the 2002.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Yeah, if I had them at the same time! Currently I don't own any cars. Hence, me looking into a "Rex" as they are so-called in the community. I am pretty sure that this will be my next car, though. I REALLY want a white Si. Ah, man I've been having wet dreams of a white one with gold Volk TE37's!!

Thanks, for the warm welcome BTW.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gurippugasuki)

For suspension since you sound quite interested in that area be sure you have something that keeps the shock travel long. Extended tophats do the trick in that department. Also any EF you buy will most likely benefit to new balljoints, tie rods and rubber or poly bushings. You really will love a crx with a large front and rear swaybar just be careful in the rain. It'll slide on you, but on dry it's a blast when you want to whip around corners.
I'm suprised you don't just stick with the BMW group, e30's are amazing.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Re: (b16_madman)

Yeah, I really considered getting another e30. My old 318is was a fantastic little car. I've driven e30 M3's and my 318is felt exactly the same except less torquey of course--2.3l s14 vs 1.8l m42. But, I have grown very fond of CRX's. Especially due to the fact that I live in SF, CA. It would make a perfect city car. As a matter of fact, it was a yellow crx just like the one in your avatar, that I saw somewhere (ef-honda.com, maybe) that helped convince me that I want this car. I recall it having Mugens, just like in your avatar too...hmmm, interesting.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 AM

nice cars dude
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

speaking of old school bmw's i just recently picked up an 86 325...its old..and it needs work but it runs and drives fine...i have yet to approach any bmw board..but i do know i plan to swap out the motor..but i have no idea where to start and don't even know how easy it is to swap these old machines...if its anywhere as easy as swapping in motors for our cars..heh
Old 09-25-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: (pr3d)

^^^Cool. Hopefully you got a 325i and not a 325e. 325e's were built for fuel efficiency. Nevertheless, if you intend to swap out your motor it is something that might not be THAT relevant--since,swapping the motor means one must upgrade practically everything else. And yes, there are motor swaps available out there-m50, s50, s52, sr20det. You either have a m20b25(325i more hp) or an m20b27&lt;--longer stroke, less HP, but more torque.

*So, can anyone answer my question regarding 88/89 vs 90/91 CRX's? Are there more than just cosmetic differences between these years. Namely, Si's? *

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:37 PM

the 88/89 models are roughly 200 pounds lighter than the 90/91
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hi, and welcome to the site. we have a pretty good set of archives that should answer damn near anything you can think of for the next good bit of time. start with the faq up top.

heres a pullout:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=650219

typing "differences" into the search (make sure you have archives checked) gave me 151 hits.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (rsca_crx)

There's a NASA track event at Sears Point Oct 7-8. Usually at least 1 crx in the driving event and maybe they'd be okay if you asked for a ride-along. Bring your helmet. If no crx's, talk to the Honda Challenge guys there about setups and how to make FF cars "work" on the track.

Oh, and welcome. Good to see another SF crx nut. The only problem I have with driving it around the city is the fear of it getting stolen or broken into.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: (JamesS)

SWEET! Thanks rsca_crx. That pretty much sums it up. Hmmm...I would prefer 4 wheel disk brakes, but we'll see.

JamesS- Thanks for the info. I'll see if i can make it out there.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to HT and *bows* to the 2002!!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid (gurippugasuki)

wassup local 86'er, why fairly stock? more info on it?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid (gurippugasuki)

The SI will save you time and headaches (ehh not that big lol) with the MPFI (multi-port fuel injection aka 4 injectors as opposed to dual-port fuel injection aka 2 injectors), you get the baller *** sunroof lol and different sway bars to my understanding. However, the SI is near 2200 last time I checked. The HF weighs in at about 1800 lbs

Mehhhh -- what do I know though, I'm a hatch guy
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid (thenick)

Hey, my wheels aren't mugen's They're volk racing. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Not new to motorsports, but new to CRX...pics/vid (b16_madman)

^^^Oh really? They must be fairly old-skool. I thought I knew rays engineering wheels...hehe. From a quick glance, I thought they were MR5's.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gurippugasuki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SWEET! Thanks rsca_crx. That pretty much sums it up. Hmmm...I would prefer 4 wheel disk brakes, but we'll see.

JamesS- Thanks for the info. I'll see if i can make it out there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

have a look in the ax/rr forum (just search "drums") and you'll see what people think of them. for a rr car- especially one that you were starting in and learning how to drive/work on, i'd probably lean towards disks simply due to servicability and the fact that you have a lot more to work on than a couple pounds less per corner. properly adjusted, you aren't really going to get any more stopping power.

as for car choice, pick one that will be in the class you want to run for whatever type of racing it will see. (as in, don't listen to the guys telling you to pick up an hf if you plan to run a class that requires the original motor and no update/backdate nonsense).

there isn't a huge advantage/disadvantage to any model, but each is a little more "hot ticket", depending on where you are going to run it. well, the dx always sucks, comparatively.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (rsca_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsca_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the dx always sucks, comparatively. </TD></TR></TABLE>

HEY! why i oughta...:shakes fist angrily:
Old 09-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Suck my DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suck my DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

HEY! why i oughta...:shakes fist angrily: </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, yeah, i thought so
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pr3d)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pr3d &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">speaking of old school bmw's i just recently picked up an 86 325...its old..and it needs work but it runs and drives fine...i have yet to approach any bmw board..but i do know i plan to swap out the motor..but i have no idea where to start and don't even know how easy it is to swap these old machines...if its anywhere as easy as swapping in motors for our cars..heh</TD></TR></TABLE>

e30tech.com