Notices

need suggestions for motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions for motor swap

Okay im going to b e doing a motor swap soon just looking out which one would be the best bang for the buck. My choices will be 96 spec integra type R or 98 spec which one do you guys suggest. I know theres some differences in both engines but I saw a somparison video performance wise they are up and up. Also what would you rather have the type r or just go with the H22. Please no K series its too much of a swap I dont want to go through the hassle of looking for parts. Which swap will be worth it? Forgot to mention this will go in a 91 hatch and jsut strictly race a a Sunday cruise car but no aircon.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need suggestions for motor swap

http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFswapguide.php
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-one
Okay im going to b e doing a motor swap soon just looking out which one would be the best bang for the buck. My choices will be 96 spec integra type R or 98 spec which one do you guys suggest. I know theres some differences in both engines but I saw a somparison video performance wise they are up and up. Also what would you rather have the type r or just go with the H22. Please no K series its too much of a swap I dont want to go through the hassle of looking for parts. Which swap will be worth it? Forgot to mention this will go in a 91 hatch and jsut strictly race a a Sunday cruise car but no aircon.
You have to provide more information for anyone to give u an adequate response, despite the fact that it's purely going to come down to preference..

Your Budget, Power Goals and mechanical experience are factors that are going to effect alot.

Just ball park, if you were working with about 3 grand so to speak? Me personally based off experience i'd make the choice as to whether I wanna reach for the moon now? Or do it later?

3 Grand is enough, At least with..

-Moderate Mechanical (Wrenching) Experience
-Discounts or trades or lil blessings you come across via networking, friends, past cars, ect.
-Very diligent searching (Be prepared to become friends with google)
-Overhead costs (Like if you're doing the work yourself, or paying someone, and how much would either costs in materials, ect)

To put together a very MEAN B-Series swap. My first B-Series swap was an LS/V...

Initial:

Ls-Bottom end - $125 (Discounted, bought from my friend, even came with axles, and everything I needed to drop run the swap.)
Built GSR head - $330 (Discounted, from a friend, Had a port and polish and Type R Internals)
Type R Transmission - Traded an H23 Bottom end and Drilled Rotors all the way around for it.
Hasport Mounts - $300

Timing Belt, Water Pump, Type R Oil pump, ECU - $350 (Freaked Ebay)
This was just initial, actually buying the swap for my first EF. Doing all of the work myself and alot and using connects and diligent searching really cut cost and I was able to pull of a STRONG addition early in my cars life for roughly a Grand or so.

Now keep in mind, you don't have to go ***** in from the rip. I knew what I was doing and had done a few before, so let's say you just wanted to put an LS in, you'd spend less then half that.

It's only later on that you start to dig into your money when u upgrade..

-High Compression Pistons or Low Compression pistons (Your power goals can effect this choice and with it, it's cost)

-Camshafts (Once again your power goals)

-Internals work (Sleeving, Knifing, Balancing...once again depends on your power goals and so on)

The numbers can get astronomical or they can be do able, just provide what you're trying to do power wise.

But from the gate..you're spending roughly no less then 600 to go dual cam period, and that's if you're doing it yourself.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the answer but I dont want lsvtec. I prefer something as a whole engine thats why I said type R or H22 they are both in the budget (if you want to talk about budget). The only thing thats holding me back about the h is its too much work and I barely know anything about it. So whats worth it the 98 spec or just the 96 spec type R?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:25 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The H is good if you run the H2B setup, but that's $$$$. Between the 96 and 98, they're both OBD2 and both the exact same engine. If it were between a 95 and a 98, I'd say go with the 95. Just do a few quick visual inspections of each and take the cleaner of the 2.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice. Thats what I was thinking the engine are identical exept for this cam theyre talking about but it doenst bother me im not going to stick with stock cams anyways. How hard is this swap we did my 98 civic coupe dropped in a b20vtec on it but it was farily simple.