Notices

need suggestions on JUST a muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need suggestions on JUST a muffler

i have an invidia cat back angled for my rex. now the packing blew out of the resonator so anything above 3k sounds like total ***. so i finally got another resonator welded on. the sound is still there....so now im going to have to cut the frecking muffler off and replace it with something else since invidia doesnt just sell the mufflers. pisses me off cause all that **** blew out about 5 months of having it. invidia wont do **** about it. so i looked at the JIC ones but man for 200 bucks for a muffler i mind as well get a whole new exhaust. any of you guys got any suggestions? i heard teh cheapies blow out fast so i kind of want to stay away from the 5 dollar mufflers off ebay. im trying to make it match the invidia muffler.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (Rexified)

that sux, i've had my invidia for about a year now on b16 and i have not been nice to it and no probs. i realy like the sound of it i don't know what i would replace it with.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (abnaasefmb)

Is your exhaust backfiring?

Magnaflow or nothing. You can't beat a straight through design. And coupled with any resonator, it makes a nice deep tone instead of that weed wacker buzz so common to modified Civics.

The longer the muffler, the quieter.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

es oval
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (suspendedHatch)

magnaflow mufflers are a beautiful thing
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (8Si8)

Why do people buy brand name cat-back exhaust systems? My buddy just goes to the muffler shop and gets a 2.5" pipe all the way back to the muffler for cheap. Is really more performance from name brand pipes?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well for the invidia angled cat back its really hard for a muffler shop to get it to look like the way it does. i am running two resonators. one megan and one magna flow resonator. before teh muffler blew out it sounded awesome. no buzzing just deep low growling. a guy driving a camero came up to me and said my car sounded nicer then his! invidia has that low growl that not many other complanies have. i want a canister straight through muffler. but i really havent seen one that would look the same or not out of place. argh sucks. performance parts from brand names cost more for a reason. i dont have dyno on generic vs brand name. but on here a hwile ago some one dynoed a Fake J intake and a Real J racing intake. they look exactly the same EXACTLY, but the real J dynoed couple hours power higher and lbs of torque higher. so yes brand name is expensive for a reason.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (zxc4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zxc4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do people buy brand name cat-back exhaust systems? My buddy just goes to the muffler shop and gets a 2.5" pipe all the way back to the muffler for cheap. Is really more performance from name brand pipes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i do the same thing just make sure the shop you use has a mandrel bender and choose a good proven muffler and you will get the performance needed, you won't really be able to tell a difference from a cat back system and i've had it done on my 3000gt and crx and it was a lot cheaper than buying one already made.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is cheaper but its not as pretty! to bad muffler shops dont do stainless steel. cause where i live if you get anything less prepare to buy a new exhaust system every year due to rust
Old 08-01-2005, 06:03 PM

OK cool, thanks for the insight. But can you tell me a little more about a mandrel bender?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Default Re: (zxc4)

a mandrel bender bends tubing so that the interior radius is preserved. the other type of bender, a pinch or crimp bender, makes the internal radius of the tubing smaller and non-circular. mandrel benders are rather expensive, and so not many shops have them. a mandrel bent exhaust can be created without a mandrel bender if you buy already bent tubing from jegs or something. a lot of shops just stock lots of different already bent tubing, and dont actually have a mandrel bender.

i have heard lots of good things about dynomax super turbo mufflers, and i think i might be getting one of those. but..

how much did you guys spend to get your muffler spliced into your system? cause i went to a muffler shop and they wouldnt quote me until i see what muffler i chose. i just dont want to spend $40 to buy a muffler and then like $150 to get it welded up, when i can get a stock muffler from magestic honda for $112, which i would be happy with for now.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: need suggestions on JUST a muffler (Rexified)

LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

nice video of you genral lee'ing your civic!!!!

we'll call ya sparky from now on!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had my resonator replaced. they cut the old one out and welded a new one on for 48 bucks including resonator.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
$cat /dev/urandom

Default Re: (Rexified)

nice.. so it sounds like i can get my setup for around $100..