Notices

Need help: Shaking at 30-40mph only on throttle, but it's not axles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Need help: Shaking at 30-40mph only on throttle, but it's not axles...

Just thinking out loud here... but could a sprung clutch cause any of this? Or what about a bad throwout bearing? Wondering if the bucking when I slip the clutch and the vibration while driving could be related.

I just put in a new Action clutch and flywheel, and they told me the bucking was normal because it's an aggressive clutch. I get that, but it just doesn't feel quite right. It's like it doesn't engage evenly.

BUT when I replaced the transmission, clutch and flywheel, I reused my old throwout bearing because the new one they sent didn't fit. It felt like it was still good, spun fine and everything and doesn't make any noise with I push in the clutch pedal.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help: Shaking at 30-40mph only on throttle, but it's not axles...

Dude...at this point you might as well replace all the bushings and balljoints, try other wheels, check upper suspension for loosen bolts, or you just might have a bad axle that is not balanced. Maybe even a bad wheel bearing that is beginning to go bad.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NAS_OCSICNARF
Dude...at this point you might as well replace all the bushings and balljoints, try other wheels, check upper suspension for loosen bolts, or you just might have a bad axle that is not balanced. Maybe even a bad wheel bearing that is beginning to go bad.
Pretty much all been done. Not all bushings yet but I plan to next.

Almost finished installing the new coil overs, and may have found the issue. On both rear shock tophats, the nuts that hold the tophat in place were nearly fallen off. I literally just spun them off with my fingers on both sides.

Wont be able to drive it for a while yet to see if that was it. Feel dumb for never checking those.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

um. yeah.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:38 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
um. yeah.
Yeah

I just finished setting my ride height on the new coils, pulled it out of the garage and it doesn’t even really shake anymore when slipping the clutch like it used to. Car doesn’t vibrate nearly as bad just from the engine idling either.

I am thinking those old shocks, or the fact that they weren’t tightened, could have been a big part of my problem.

Hopefully I get to drive it soon.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:12 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

The new coilovers did not help or change the problem at all.

I’ve got to be narrowing in on the problem though. Next on the list, new front lca’s, inner and outer tie rods, and a steering rack if need be.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I retract my previous statement that the coilovers did not change the problem at all. After some more driving around, it actually is worse now.

It seems that the shaking no longer goes away completely at higher RPM and higher throttle. It keeps on going.

I can't imagine that just having stiffer springs would cause this. The only other reasonable explanation is that, it is the axles that are the problem either due to them being the wrong length or at the wrong angle, and lowering the car more has aggravated this even further.

I am going to investigate whether the length of "swap" axles like those from Raxles are significantly different from the 90-93 Integra axles I am currently using. This could explain why every set I use gives me the same issue.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
The new coilovers did not help or change the problem at all.

I’ve got to be narrowing in on the problem though. Next on the list, new front lca’s, inner and outer tie rods, and a steering rack if need be.
It actually could be the steering rack. Check the clamps/bolts that hold the steering rack to the subframe. It is a possibility that they could be lose. Or the rack is on its last leg. I remember reading a common problem a while ago. Do a search.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:31 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

It actually could be the steering rack. Check the clamps/bolts that hold the steering rack to the subframe. It is a possibility that they could be lose. Or the rack is on its last leg. I remember reading a common problem a while ago. Do a search.
Yeah I’ve checked those bolts, and the steering feels tight and solid. But I’m prepared to replace it as a last resort.

I spoke with Marty at Raxles today. We agreed it may be an axle length problem, with being lowered also. The swap shafts he builds are 1/2” shorter than Integra shafts.

Now that I have adjustable height coils, going to raise it up to stock height and see if it does anything.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm very interested to see what this turns out as being. It isn't the clutch.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I'm very interested to see what this turns out as being. It isn't the clutch.
Yeah I'm kind of obsessing over it. It's the last real "flaw" the car has before I'll be able to just enjoy the sh*t out of it.

I found that Surtrack '86-89 integra axles are spec'd at only 23" compressed length, so I ordered a set to try em out. Only $40 a piece so I figured what the heck.

I have been in contact with Raxles, Gator Axles, and Hasport to inquire about this issue and different axle lengths. The Hasport passenger side axle is 23.375", and the driver's side doesn't matter since you have to use a hydro trans intermediate shaft with it.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a flywheel clutch issue
Old 08-09-2018, 04:44 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acmoc
Sounds like a flywheel clutch issue
Both are brand new, and I had the exact same problem with the previous clutch and flywheel. I'm not ruling anything out at this point, but I don't think they are the most likely suspect.

I am going over all of my engine mounts again. One concern I have on the driver's side mount is this gap between the urethane and the chassis. To me the urethane bushing should be sandwiched tight to prevent any unwanted movement, but it seems that the metal part inside the bushing is tight because there is a "bump out" in the stamped steel piece that is clamping down on it. Unless the threads on my mount bolt are actually bottomed out. I purchased new mount bolts that were the closest thing I could find, because the old ones weren't threaded enough and required a stack of washers to get em tight.

Should I be able to move the aluminum part of the mount back and forth with a pry bar?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Both are brand new, and I had the exact same problem with the previous clutch and flywheel. I'm not ruling anything out at this point, but I don't think they are the most likely suspect.

I am going over all of my engine mounts again. One concern I have on the driver's side mount is this gap between the urethane and the chassis. To me the urethane bushing should be sandwiched tight to prevent any unwanted movement, but it seems that the metal part inside the bushing is tight because there is a "bump out" in the stamped steel piece that is clamping down on it. Unless the threads on my mount bolt are actually bottomed out. I purchased new mount bolts that were the closest thing I could find, because the old ones weren't threaded enough and required a stack of washers to get em tight.

Should I be able to move the aluminum part of the mount back and forth with a pry bar?
Just get an insert anyways. That would had bothered me to see. Go to a junkyard and pull any from any honda and it should sandwiched in there nicely.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Just get an insert anyways. That would had bothered me to see. Go to a junkyard and pull any from any honda and it should sandwiched in there nicely.
I contacted Hasport about this and they say it's normal, since the metal pin in the middle should still be tightened down and won't allow movement. I also tried letting the clutch out with the ebrake on, the engine is rock solid and doesn't move at all, so I really am not sure.

I hopefully will have a lot of time tomorrow to tear some more stuff apart and try to figure this out.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:06 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

On the way home today in some stop and go traffic, I noticed it felt like something is definitely “shifting” anytime I transition from accelerating forward to braking. When I first hit the brakes, it feels like something moves a little then theres a slight clunk before it catches and slows down. All this happens in a split second.

Its frustrating because under the car, I can’t get anything to move at all. Maybe it’s getting worse now and I’ll find it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Went over everything again. Hard to get good pics, but I’ve gotta be missing something. I pried on stuff, the only thing that moved is the lower shock fork bushing in the lca. The passenger side one is ripped, but they both flex the same amount. I’ll keep new lcas on my list.

Here is my drivers side inner cv joint. Play seems excessive, but this is another brand new axle. They all seem to do this. Perhaps having the length or angle wrong makes these like this?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Okay this is like my 4th post in a row but, I’m finally gettin somewhere!!!

Tonight I raised the front coilovers up all the way, which lifted the front 3.5”, probably close to stock height.

Went for a drive, and for the first time since owning the car it had no vibration.

So it is an issue with the axles, either length or angle. Going to try the shorter Surtrack ones I got and go from there.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

does your driver axle have the dampener?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

does your driver axle have the dampener?
None of the aftermarket ones do, aside from Raxles.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

mine is from autozone and it has it. i doubt that would cause it though
Old 08-09-2018, 10:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

something is missing. did you hit something recently>
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

something is missing. did you hit something recently>
Hey, I already figured it out... I raised the coilovers in front and the shaking went away.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I don't think your CV joint should be able to move that much on the axles. That doesn't look right to me. Almost seems like you had some forward/back movement as well, not just in/out movement.

Edit: With your coilovers raised all the way up, I'm now imagining your CRX mobbin' around looking like a tiny little monster truck lol.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, sadly I’m stuck in rally mode for the time being

I put in some shorter 23” axles but had the same result. I have to have the car raised up to nearly stock height for the vibration to go away. Any lower and it shakes again. It has to be the angle of the cv joints getting out of phase or something.

I can’t live like this for long

Quick Reply: Need help: Shaking at 30-40mph only on throttle, but it's not axles...