Notices

My intake mani. review (OBX/Edelbrock/AEBS/SKUNK)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default My intake mani. review (OBX/Edelbrock/AEBS/SKUNK)

I'm pasting this from another board I'm on. It is a review of manifolds I have used and installed.

Heres my intake mani review from the ones I've installed

OBX (D-Seies)- Pros- Its polished, and inside the collector at the beginning of each runner is a velocity stack. Great improvement over a DX/LX mani.
Cons- the throttle cable bracket on it is flimsy and not in the exact place, but it will work. Not all of them come with an EACV location, so you may need to swap to a TB with a mounted EACV. Also the vacuum ports are not flared at the ends

Edelbrock (D series)- Pros- Had ports for up to 8 injectors and direct nitrous, had axtremely long runners, and made a very noticeable power increase both N/A and turbo. comes with an EACV block off plate to accomodate different models
Cons-Due to the longer runner length the TB sits back further, which means a CAI or upper charge pipe needs to be altered a bit to make it back through the hole behind the headlight. Also anything mounted behind the mani the wasn't stock, needs to be moved or the mani may not clear (ex. amp fuse holders)

Skunk 2 Pro (D series) Pros- Looks great, fit good just like the Edelbrock, but it is not as long as the Edelbrock. Also had a very noticeable power increase.
Cons- Does not come with an EACV block off plate.

AEBS (Typhoon) B Series-Pros- Looks great, clean inside and out. Dynoed the best out of Skunk, Edelbrock, and ITR on the B series heads. Also has ports for nitrouse. All of the vacuum ports are moved to the backside for a cleaner install.
Cons- On the 1st gen B16 it will hit the alternator bracket, so you must shave down the left corner about 1/4"-no biggie', the underside is not polished like the top side is (you can't see it anyway once its installed)

There you have it, I'd like to do a B Series JG mani on a car
Old 07-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My intake mani. review (Autoworks)

awesome!!! thanks!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 01:15 PM

how about venom??
Old 07-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My intake mani. review (jnbhonda)

how bout some dyno charts?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My intake mani. review (jnbhonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jnbhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about venom??</TD></TR></TABLE>
If someone local had one I'd be happy to put it on and do a review

Old 07-23-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad i made a good choice. Not to mention it was cheap. lol
Old 07-23-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My intake mani. review (michaelOlson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by michaelOlson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how bout some dyno charts?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well...
OBX on the DX-motor blew (had DRAG kit on it, the guy installed the inline pump backwards, ran lean )

Edelbrock- I used a Greddy kit, was very quick- I sold that car

Skunk 2 on the DX- It will be getting dynoed soon

AEBS- on my CRX, will be dynoed early September
Old 07-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im guessing the AEBS would be the best bang for the buck out of them all?

From pics it doesnt look nice as some other ones but who cares right? As long as it performs good
Old 07-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Sifu)

Hmm, you can do performance and I can do OEM, I have an A6/Z6/Y8 Manifold/TB sets lying around I wouldn't mind dynoing.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sifu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sifu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im guessing the AEBS would be the best bang for the buck out of them all?

From pics it doesnt look nice as some other ones but who cares right? As long as it performs good </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think so, I also like the wy the AEBS looks, even though most people here don't.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm, you can do performance and I can do OEM, I have an A6/Z6/Y8 Manifold/TB sets lying around I wouldn't mind dynoing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have a B16, B18B, Y7, and Y8 one here...but no TB's
Old 07-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Autoworks)

Well, the Edelbrock manifold comes as part of their turbo kit, so that's the way I'm going.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Edelbrock (D series)- Cons-Due to the longer runner length the TB sits back further,
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think this is funny....because the runners are actually 3" shorter than the factory intake. The runners are just straight instead of dipping down then up.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My intake mani. review (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think this is funny....because the runners are actually 3" shorter than the factory intake. The runners are just straight instead of dipping down then up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
OK, well due to the erect runners that are actually 3" shorter, the TB still sits back further
Old 08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OK, well due to the erect runners that are actually 3" shorter, the TB still sits back further </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it does, and closer to the passenger fender.