Notices

My Hatch and CRX

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Hatch and CRX

Seeing these build threads has inspired me to post up pics of mine. I work super slow so I'm combining 2 cars on one thread.

I bought the hatch in 97 drove it for 4 years, did a ZC swap and drove it for about a year and a half. Had a clutch problem and was too lazy to fix it, so it sat in the garage for 5yrs until we had to move. The movers wouldn't transport non working cars because they can't drive it onto the truck. I put a clutch in the car that night. I didn't realize it, but the whole time the car sat, the rear brake was leaking. When it was running again, the brakes were jacked up. After our move had settled down, I started gathering parts for the rear disc swap. I had the trailing arms (for several years) but I like to replace everything when I'm in there.

The CRX I just got a couple weeks ago. My wife noticed it at her work. The previous owner came to her office for something. My wife mentioned to her that she'd like to buy it if she wanted to sell it. A month or so later, she said that she wanted to sell it. When I went to see it, I was suprised to see what nice shape it was in. It has 116K paint is shiny, trim is still black, seats have no rips, it even has the rare armrest. It has a few mechanical issues but it was worth snapping up.

The players:

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Hatch and CRX

Old pics from the engine swap, Couple things that changed, I ended up not using the AEM gears and now that I decided to use them again one has been lost.

Here is a pic of the engine right before I put it into the car. I had to grind the block down so the header would fit.

Those are AEM cam gears, I had a machine shop take them down so the belt would ride closer to the middle of the gear. I wound up taking them off. I also installed a new compressor and had the alternator rebuilt

I had the throttle body bored out by some guy in GA it may have been KMS. Don't remember who but it was pretty reasonable. According to the time stamp on the file, it was done in 2002.

This is the current project, I bought these in 2003. I'm now gathering parts to make this happen. Got the 15/16ths MC and booster, also got the 4040 prop valve. I'll probably swap them for new/reman parts. I'm just saving up for all the other stuff I mentioned earlier.
[

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project cars keep us updated
Old 08-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you get your fog lights from your crx?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Started gathering parts after our move had settled down. I'm replacing the entire braking system on the hatch.

[

Last edited by asianflava; 09-19-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my Fastbrakes kit in December and started work:

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you buy the trailing arm bushing from? nice hatch, paint still looks nice
Old 08-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the Wicked Tuning camber links for a year before I found a set of matching toe links. Finally, I had all the pieces. I've finished 3 of the 4 corners, the last one is fighting me. I think I have to drop the tank to get the e-brake cable in/out. That's about where the hatch is right now. It's too damn hot to work out there. It was 100+ when I looked yesterday, I'm not as nimble as I used to be when I started this project car.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EatMyVTEC :]
Where did you get your fog lights from your crx?
They were on the car when I bought it. I thought they were OEM, but upon closer inspection they are not.

Originally Posted by moobthoj707
where did you buy the trailing arm bushing from? nice hatch, paint still looks nice
I bought them from some guy on eBay. The CRX needs new ones too, but I can't find them anymore.
The paint is a little rough, there must have been body work because over the years, it is no longer matching. It also has scratches and dings. It's in decent shape but far from perfect. The CRX on the other hand is close to perfect as you can get for a daily driven 19yr old car.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is year is the rx?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

89 Hatch <- normal pillar mounted seatbelts
91 CRX <- already has rear discs stupid seatbelts.

My wife used to have a 90 EX that had the even stupider motorized belts where you still had to buckle the lap belt.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well im really impressed with your crx. its in really good condition. one more question. did the 91s come with that center console?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dunno if they came with them, I know that they were an option on the other cars. I see them on eBay occasionally, going for a couple hundred bucks! I saw one where the bid was up to $300! That's about 20% of what I bought the whole car for.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol optional. well **** it looks good. like to rest my arm sometimes on something then having it on the e-brake but thanks for that info though.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice projects man keep it up
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stripped off the rest of the tint on the CRX, looks much better now. I hope I didn't kill too many lines on the defrosters. The tint on the hatch and windshield strip were different than the tint on the windows. The windows came off easily, but the hatch tint fell apart left a layer of film on the glass. There is still a little bit of glue on the hatch, but like yesterday I ran out of daylight.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice cars dude
Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol hit it up with some (goo gone).
Old 08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally finished taking the tint off the CRX. Ran it thru a carwash and took some beauty shots. I noticed that the turn signals were cloudy. I thought it was moisture inside but when I took off the lenses, it wasn't. I used a "headlight restoration kit" on them and polished them right up. I already had the kit so it wasn't any extra expense.

Last edited by asianflava; 09-21-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That resto kit did that good of a job on the bumper lenses? Mine look similar and I was just going to buy new OEM's from Honda. Some people i taked to said the resto kits were a waste of money. Did you do any additional steps or polishing to get that result?

Cool build so far, nice find on the crx!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whaaaaaaaaaaaat lucky two si's??? i agree the door mounted seat belts suck, but at least the car is clean. i'm about to start cleaning up my spare rta's. doing pretty much what you are doing, but sticking with blanks. i already turn heads lol and i'm rat rod status
Old 08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very clean work you are doing! I like!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Captain Key!s
That resto kit did that good of a job on the bumper lenses? Mine look similar and I was just going to buy new OEM's from Honda. Some people i taked to said the resto kits were a waste of money. Did you do any additional steps or polishing to get that result?

Cool build so far, nice find on the crx!
I used a kit from 3M, I bought it at Wally World. I got it for the headlights on my wife's Toyota Highlander, it's a 01 and the headlights were pretty cloudy. The kit came with a velcro backed disc that you chuck onto a drill. Then there are 2 grades of sandpaper, a buffing pad, and a foam pad and polishing compound. It cost $18 for the whole set.

For the turn signals, I didn't use the sandpaper at all. I went right for the buffing pad then the polishing compound. There were a couple deep rock chips on the lenses, but I didn't go that deep. Those specks in the previous picture are the rock chips.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those are clean cuts! This is how its done. Not all sloppy. How did you do this?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

massive hole saw?

Quick Reply: My Hatch and CRX