My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC!

This project started several years ago........I picked up the JDM D15B 3 Stage Vtec
from Hmotors..........then searched 6 months for the stock JDM ECU# 37820-P2J-003
(5spd Version).....found on EBAY from jdmpro_krs....I think the guys in Indonesia?

The first installer had real problems with the wiring.........

But finally took my Car to INLINEFOUR..........(I lives close....in Westminster).....
These guys know there stuff and WOW................my REX is all good now!

The D15B has a 130hp and it feels TORQUIE.........This engine is one of HONDA's secrets ......puts out one of the highest HP to size, and with Three stages of VTEC has the best of all worlds!! I am now at OBD-2 also. In 1st stage VTEC (E?)....under 2800RPM....this guy gets 54MPG running a 20:1 in 12-Valve Lean Burn Mode (Econo Mode) .....we shall see....

NOW My REX needs a beauty make over....I need paint and new interior, seats, etc.....

Specs on the engine......http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/index.html

Here she is.....
Old 08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

siiick...hella good gas mileage,,now make it a hybrid and get like 130 mpg
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
The Boot

Default Re: My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC! (craigie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craigie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The D15B has a 130hp and it feels TORQUIE...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC! (Smokinsax)

so how much did inline four charge you for the labor? I hear they have high prices..

sounds interesting though, but I really dont miss OBD2. What kind of intake setup did you use? looks like the d16y8 one.

do you think you might have any problems when you need to smog?

good to hear you worked out the kinks, let us know what kind of mileage you get
Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pretty cool stuff.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Re: (nissanownsu)

you have anymore pics or videos?
looks pretty sweet to me
Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think smog is still out of the question.....cause he would need obd2 port,gas tank and a wole bunch of more crap...but if he does.....two thumbs up
Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spikehead221)

I am currently doing the same swap myself(build thread here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2370188 )

If you don't mind me asking, what route did you take with the wiring? Did the use a jumper harness or did you have the VTEC-E Harness integrated into your CRX harness? Are you using the original p2j ECU?(EDIT: Duh, I just saw your sig lol)

I am in talks with Rywire right now to make this as plug and play as possible.

I am getting a ton of negative responses from douche bags telling me that the headache isn't worth it and to simply wire it like a z6 but I am not after mad jdm powaz. I want the full benefits of running the engine the way honda intended.

the install looks great! I am envious!

Modified by JesseCRX at 12:46 AM 8/28/2008
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: (JesseCRX)

Wow do you have more pics of the car?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slicedbreadno2)

Was it worth it?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RockinthEFhatch)

Yes, it was definitely worth it!

This car is now stock JDM 3 stage VTEC and has plenty of power............the VTEC feels so gooooooooood!

I'm not a racer but this car is quick now. This is a smaller engine with about 25%more power plus the intake, etc.

JesseCRX........stay with your plan.........this is a unique setup that most will never match. Rywire did my harness........good work! My first Installer was not into his work and not into wiring VTEC......

Don't get excited when someone says this or that is like plug and play.........Swaps can go all over the place and never seem to follow a straight line.

One problem I had that you might have is that the engine you got was likely
hooked up to a CVT tranny.......not a manual.........so when your using the VTEC engine wiring harness you now have to talk to a manual 5 spd and a Manual ECU
......I think thats an idle air mixture change?......

If your doing all this yourself..........this would be a cheap swap....parts were only about $1200-1500.......the complete engine from Hmotors was about $540......you probably will not get that price now.

As far as ONLINE4 being expensive...............they saved my butt and made this swap work and NO the charge was not out of line at all. Whats expensive is a Honda Tech Guru keeping your car for 10 months and not knowing what he's doing.

My REX now needs alot of TLC to start lookin sharp........I'm keeping the stock look
need a whole new interior and complete paint job.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (craigie)

Dude...that is awesome. I wanted to do the same thing to my rex...for like the past 2 years. There's an importer close by with the motor, but no one has that elusive P2J ECU, hence the reason I gave up on the idea. I'm glad to see you got it done, and now I know who to go to for info if I ever do find that ECU.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (craigie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craigie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it was definitely worth it!

JesseCRX........stay with your plan

Don't get excited when someone says this or that is like plug and play. Swaps can go all over the place and never seem to follow a straight line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh I believe it. I already took off the OBD2 harness and I am pulling my Civic Si harness out this weekend. Gonna clean it all up and send it to Rywire

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craigie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One problem I had that you might have is that the engine you got was likely
hooked up to a CVT tranny not a manual so when your using the VTEC engine wiring harness you now have to talk to a manual 5 spd and a Manual ECU
I think thats an idle air mixture change?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I called and left a message with Steve at Hmotors. I have no idea if my motor came from an auto or manual car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craigie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If your doing all this yourself this would be a cheap swap parts were only about $1200-1500 the complete engine from Hmotors was about $540 you probably will not get that price now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wel, so far I have only spent $800 and that was for the motor shipped to my doorstep. It woulda been cheaper had I picked it up at the terminal or had it shipped to a biz.

What usdm engine are you using as a template for new part replacements?? Do you ask for D16z6 parts when you go to an auto parts store?

Can't wait to see the cosmetic touch ups you have planned for your car. I am a neat freak myself and my Civic is covered in a blanket of dirt and birdshit since the engine died. I wanna cry everytime I see it
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craigie,

Good stuff on the swap. jdmpro_krs is from Malaysia.

3 stage with CVT is plentiful but manual is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Took me almost a year to find the 003 ecu in Singapore.

BTW More pics please
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Big [V], hw much did u pay for yourP2J- 003 ecu?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Re: (kulroy2003)

3 stage vtec is garbage as for performance. it uses the typical vtec e 2 rocker design which pretty much is only designed for fuel economy. the so called "wild" cam profile the "third" stage is on is nothing more than the engine becoming normal. if you did this swap cuz you wanted some sick gas mileage, my hat is off to you. if you are trying to say this is some unsung hero supermotor that has all this potential etc, sorry wrong department. a typical d16y8 with a 3rocker vtec design is much more powerful.

but hat is off to honda, it is a neat little motor indeed
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Re: My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC! (craigie)

wow! that sounds like some serious job. im kinda in the process of getting a new engine but it'll take me probably two years to even get the money. im in college and super broke. you should post more pics and vids. awesome.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (MazdaSpeedster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MazdaSpeedster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 stage vtec is garbage as for performance. it uses the typical vtec e 2 rocker design which pretty much is only designed for fuel economy. the so called "wild" cam profile the "third" stage is on is nothing more than the engine becoming normal. if you did this swap cuz you wanted some sick gas mileage, my hat is off to you. if you are trying to say this is some unsung hero supermotor that has all this potential etc, sorry wrong department. a typical d16y8 with a 3rocker vtec design is much more powerful.

but hat is off to honda, it is a neat little motor indeed</TD></TR></TABLE>

definately would have to agree
Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D16SiHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MazdaSpeedster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 stage vtec is garbage as for performance. it uses the typical vtec e 2 rocker design which pretty much is only designed for fuel economy. the so called "wild" cam profile the "third" stage is on is nothing more than the engine becoming normal. if you did this swap cuz you wanted some sick gas mileage, my hat is off to you. if you are trying to say this is some unsung hero supermotor that has all this potential etc, sorry wrong department. a typical d16y8 with a 3rocker vtec design is much more powerful.

but hat is off to honda, it is a neat little motor indeed</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not sure but i do think you are wrong.
As far as i have read and heard 3-Stage vtec is basically vtec-e and regular vtec combined in a sense.
At really low rpm's the engine runs as if it were in vtec-e mode (12 valve)
After 2XXX rpms the engine engages the other 4 valve returning it to normal (16 valve mode)
Then when the rpm's reach 4750(or somewhere around there) the "wild" cam profile engages and it acts like a normal sohc vtec system.
This system allows for 130hp and still excellent gas mileage
Imo it is a great idea from honda and its too bad they didnt continue to use it (although i-vtec is similar just without the 2nd stage)

somebody let me know if i am correct
Old 11-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MazdaSpeedster)

Kulroy,

I got the 003 for about 200 bucks.

MazdaSpeedster,

Another note on the motor (As I'm using one duh), the 3 stage D15B is has basically 3 modes:
-12 valve VTEC-E lean burn mode rpm range up till 2500-3000 max. Will only engage when driving more than 30km/h + light foot. econo light will on when lean burn engage. good fuel economy achieved when one intake valve from each cylinder is closed resulting higher air charge velocity. coupled with the swirling effect, leaner mixture up to 20:1 or more air fuel ratio possible hence the good fc. I'm typically getting over 13km/l on mixed driving. That figure will drop if I engage VTEC often.
-16 valve normal cam mode. In this case all intake valves are used. VTEC-E mode disengage and using normal fuel mixture.
-16 valve wild cam mode. All 16 valves are used but only the intake valves will be using the wild cam profile. exhaust valves remain the same throughout the 3 stages. Will rev cut at 7000rpms. Wild cam engages around 5800rpms.

Just to enlighten you all 3 cam profiles for the 3 stage cam are mentioned in the manual.

This motor was built for economy in mind and never for performance. But still this motor shares the same r/s ratio as the b17a and k20a. With some work the the 3 stage motor I believe has the potential make good power all the way up to 8000rpms. But probably alot more hassle not to mention the fear of blowing it up rather than swapping a B series in it.

wished bisi tinkered with the 3 stage motor lol

Modified by Big[V] at 4:59 AM 11/9/2008
Old 12-10-2008, 04:03 PM

I'm in so cal. and this swap would both increase my MPG and HP.

I sent INLINEFOUR a email about doing this swap, but have not received a response yet.
Can anyone in so cal with experience respond with info to help me out.
I've been saving up the $ how much is this going to cost?
would like to do this in the next month.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RockinthEFhatch)

Originally Posted by craigie
Yes, it was definitely worth it!

This car is now stock JDM 3 stage VTEC and has plenty of power............the VTEC feels so gooooooooood!

I'm not a racer but this car is quick now. This is a smaller engine with about 25%more power plus the intake, etc.

JesseCRX........stay with your plan.........this is a unique setup that most will never match. Rywire did my harness........good work! My first Installer was not into his work and not into wiring VTEC......

Don't get excited when someone says this or that is like plug and play.........Swaps can go all over the place and never seem to follow a straight line.

One problem I had that you might have is that the engine you got was likely
hooked up to a CVT tranny.......not a manual.........so when your using the VTEC engine wiring harness you now have to talk to a manual 5 spd and a Manual ECU
......I think thats an idle air mixture change?......

If your doing all this yourself..........this would be a cheap swap....parts were only about $1200-1500.......the complete engine from Hmotors was about $540......you probably will not get that price now.

As far as ONLINE4 being expensive...............they saved my butt and made this swap work and NO the charge was not out of line at all. Whats expensive is a Honda Tech Guru keeping your car for 10 months and not knowing what he's doing.

My REX now needs alot of TLC to start lookin sharp........I'm keeping the stock look
need a whole new interior and complete paint job.
Just to add, though the motor is stamped d15z7 aka d15b 3 stage it is slightly different between equipped with manual and cvt tranny.

the cvt tranny equipped d15b apart from the auto ecu, the motor would be equipped with 3 wire iacv and 4 wire narrowband primary O2.

conversely to make it work with manual ecu, the manual ecu calls for 2 wire iacv and the expensive 5 wire wideband primary O2.

I've read many swaps with problems i.e. hunting rpms etc. The above are required to comply with the P2J-003 ecu requirements.

I've recently discussed with a guy in Malaysia who did a similar manual swap but retained the obd2a cvt ecu. Turns out that the auto ecu could still be used - Just trick the ecu that the shifter (which is not there) is in P to start and D for the VTEC to function.

In turn retaining the auto ecu you don't need the iacv and expensive o2 fix.

I can imagine your rex with its power/weight ratio would be pretty nifty to drive.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kulroy2003)

Originally Posted by MazdaSpeedster
3 stage vtec is garbage as for performance. it uses the typical vtec e 2 rocker design which pretty much is only designed for fuel economy. the so called "wild" cam profile the "third" stage is on is nothing more than the engine becoming normal. if you did this swap cuz you wanted some sick gas mileage, my hat is off to you. if you are trying to say this is some unsung hero supermotor that has all this potential etc, sorry wrong department. a typical d16y8 with a 3rocker vtec design is much more powerful.

but hat is off to honda, it is a neat little motor indeed
Completely WRONG.

As for performance, the 12 valve mode makes GREAT torque at low rpm. "2nd stage" is the "engine becoming normal". As for the 3rd stage, it has the highest lift and wildest profile Honda has EVER put into a production engine.

d15b > d16z6 (eg SI engine).

Sure, the performance potential isn't that great---nobody builds these up 4 performance. But they take some boost pretty well, and with a little port n polish and some mild work, they can be a pretty decent NA motor.

Basically, you can get HX/Insight MPG's, or stomp on it and get >SI performance.

Sure, it's not a B. It was never meant to be. But it's NOT lacking on performance, and may be one of the greatest all-around motors Honda's produced.

amen.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC!

I'm a few weeks later than the last post, but I just had to say it.

Awesome! Nice job getting it in there and running.

And to D16SiHatch and Mazdaboy talking about this motor being inferior to the y8 or z6..

..this thing makes the same power so how in the hell is it inferior? The econo mode is just gravy on top of those 130 ponies.

I've got an a6 and I've been wanting to do this swap in my crx for more power and more economy, but like you guys already know, the parts are hard to find. Nice to see one up and running in socal.

Quick Reply: My 91 CRX SI ......Now fully powered by a JDM D15B 3 Stage VTEC!