Notices

Making a COMBACK on my EF project ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a COMBACK on my EF project ....

Well I'm not sure if many of you EF guys still remember me more not. When I started on hondas I had an EF HB Si black and mint. I stored that baby for 2 years until I felt I was knowledgeable enough to mess around with it. So 2-3 years of reasearching and being on honda-tech and turning into a <U>IM **** & search JunKiE</U> I finally was ready to work on my ef. I started ordering a lot of parts in cluding 2 gsr motors and trannys and an apexi turbo kit as well as my Teins SS and my WW ef HB kit.

I was waiting for about 1 whole year for Hasport to come out with their new kit for the hydro trannys in the ef so that I could use my GSR trannys and not have to mess around with replacing older b16a1 cable trannys as they go out.
Finally when they came out with the kit and custome axels i was some what discouraged cause of the pricing on both.

Also at this time I was working on a few honda-tech members EK and EG and I hated the fact that their chassies were so easy to work on with only using a verity of OEM honda-acura mounts/parts for hybrids to come alive.

I also wanted the ITR 5 lug conversion
and to run hondata OBD1 p72 with my apexi kit so that ment I would have to convert to OBD1 and mess around with the 5lug conversion. So it ment that I would have to do a lot more hard work. Not to mention that people steels more hb than a sleeper bone stock 4 door.

So when the oppertunity came and a honda-tech member wanted to buy my stock EF I gave in and sold it for a cheap price. I was looking at the cost effectiveness of going with a EG or EK cause of the fact that all i wanted to do (honda -obd1, itr 5 lug, and gsr swap) was much easyer.

So I sold it in Nov of 2003 & in Jan I bought a EG9 92 civic dx 4 door
Only a few weeks ago it was stolen from me. I'm lucky that I did not install anything into that 4door yet. For the past weeks without a car I've been doing some deep thinking and so I decied to come back to the EF world/platform on which I started.... Not to mention I still have a crap load of parts for my old EF hb.

I'm once more PROUD to be EF owner once more! I love EF's. As soon as I sat and drove it, I felt as if I was more comfortable and it felt so good to be in bucket seats again.

Here is what I got:
1991 civic hatchback si
Red
EVERYTHING is awesome
-Non-smoker
-Originally driven from Colorado around 150,000 miles
-Has 210,000 miles but head is rebuilt by a Honda-technician at 170,000 when the timing belt broke and bent 4 intake and 3 exhaust valves.
-New OEM spark plugs ($13.36)
-New OEM timing belt ($60.35)
-New OEM water pump ($73.63)
-New OEM air filter ($19.13)
-New OEM muffler (axel back portion= $275)
-New OEM o2 sensor (cost $166)
-New OEM distributor ($150.00)
-New OEM dist. rotor ($16.74)
-New OEM dist. cap ($27.61)
-New OEM main relay (83.09)
-New OEM valve cover gaskets ($16.56)
-New OEM spark plug seals $16.17)
-New OEM ac belt ($13.14)
-New OEM alternator belt (16.56)
-New OEM shifter shaft seal ($10.31)
-New Napa CV boot ($72.74)
-New Napa brakes ($19.13)
-New Napa drums ($55.70)
-New Napa heater hose ($34.89)
-Oil changed 2 months ago OEM oil filter ($4.99)
-Manuel transmission fluids OEM ($21.24)
-Valve adjustment performed
-Adjustment on old clutch cable
All work ever done was by certified Honda technician.

The interior is a 9 out of 10*. The interior is perfect.... perfect I tell you. The seats look like NEW with no signs of wear at all. Seats look like they've never been sat on. heheh
-on the passenger side door PANNEL there are 3 small cuts "___" about that size from a sharp pitch fork they had in there.
otherwise that that tears the interior is perfect.
Also it came with the OEM option rear speakers !!!
and still has an OEM EF Honda stereo, which I love cause it gives me that old school look and feeling. The steering wheel is still very firm grip. The shifter is very tight... with no additional "play" while shifting

The exterior is about also 9 of 10*!
no rust at all.
no paint fade.... still showroom floor shiny
all windows and glass are near flawless
no broken or cracked lights
no dents at all
- the only thing bad about it is that it's missing one plastic screw for the driver side front bumper to bolt onto the driver side fender wall.
-Also there is a crack in the front windshield, which is on the lower passenger side.... (I don't really mind cause it's not in my viewing) but I do want to replace it later cause I'm super picky about a mint car. And I thought my old ef was mint.

The car came with some firestone tires that still have about 40% tread left. Good decent snow/dirt tires (since they live out in the woods and dirt roads and very minimal plowing service)
When you go past 40mph the front tires are a little shaky cause the tires were not balanced for a while.

The people that I bought it from were Eric and Shelley Larson of Milaca, Minnesota. The both work for the State and for the Wilderness Force, which basically helps to preserve MN forest and wildlife aspects. They are 45+. This was her car.
The previous owner was a pediatrician in Princeton, MN who lived out in Boar MN and drove 60miles to and from work everyday. They know cause it was their aunts old car passed down to them, as she was getting too old. They had it at about 150,000 miles and drove it to Colorado and back at 175,000 miles and they recently drove to Penn State and back to visit their son at college at about 202,000 miles. So I can tell that this car is still healthy and 80% all highway mileage. When 1st saw it, it was in a HUGE industrial metal barn...... It was like I was walking into a damn muesum cause they had 2 old chevys, one MINT *** 1987 accord hatchback !!! and a flawless 79mustang not to mention there normal daily driven cars a HER new Jetta wagon TDI and HIS new Dodge Durango (*cough! Hemi)

My wife just laughed at me cause I came back to the EF chassie. She asked me if I was going to sell it... and I instantly said.." HELL no, I'm keeping this baby forever"

no pictures yet, but I'm working on it.

So what would you guys have paid for this SUPER MINT car?
I think I got a stellar deal.

I just wanted to say that I'll never sell this car and I'm estatic to be back on the EF side...... BTW EG/EK form was kinda overflowing with newbies and ricers questions.. heheh
Old 03-08-2004, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have paid, $2-3g USD.

I got my CRX w/ 150,000KM for 2g CDN

what did u pay???
Old 03-08-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (Charlie Moua)

pics?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crx_88_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx_88_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would have paid, $2-3g USD.

I got my CRX w/ 150,000KM for 2g CDN

what did u pay???</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah my 1st crx was a bad deal, but i was a ricer who was in denial 5 years ago at age 17.. heheh I paid $2700 for a abused 1991 crx si that was bone stock with 110,000 miles. THe motor pulled strong but the tranny was making noise in 2-3rd gear. it had a macco white paint job, and clear tail lights. Shocks were BLOWN and oem springs cracked on all for perches.... and the rack and pinion was fucked up dude to a accident (cost me $1200 to fix)

$3,000 my black ef was better and much healty cleaner. clean inside and out and 8 on the body and 8 on the exterior! Great car.... 1990 civic hb si with 160k on it. Got a new tanabe RM exhaust and alarm and stored it for 2.5 years only drove it about 3,000 miles in a total of 3years ownership....
sold it to honda-tech member "AaronJ" in south dakota... good kid.

EG9..... bought for $2,000 from old lady. PULLED hella strong for a 92 dx....
Had it for 2 months and stolen 3 weeks ago and was still bone stock.
still no place to be found.

This car... $1800. Nuff said. I'm the man!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:14 AM

Default Re: (Charlie Moua)

Sounds like you got a steal. Good job. Now post some pics.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:31 AM

koj yog hmoob?? kuv thiab. kuv from mpls. i have a black 91 crx si in mint condition. this is my project car. have not driven it from like the last 4 years. im still at the U of M but will be done this may. charlie do you know sherman? i met him at max's farm. nice to hear that you got an ef. im currently saving up for ls turbo.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (umrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by umrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">koj yog hmoob?? kuv thiab. kuv from mpls. i have a black 91 crx si in mint condition. this is my project car. have not driven it from like the last 4 years. im still at the U of M but will be done this may. charlie do you know sherman? i met him at max's farm. nice to hear that you got an ef. im currently saving up for ls turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes Sir I am Hmong.... I don't like to hid behind funny names.. hehe

yeah me and sherman are boys! he works on his car at my place all the time and we help eachother out. He know's his stuff about FI and some tunning aspects of it.
Great guy!
and gotta love his setup....pulls hard. That reminds him I still have to IM him about my new car hehehe

IM you
Old 03-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got a mint 1990 std hatch for 600 with 100k on the clock...So Im back to the EF world too. formely I had a 1990 dx hatch back in the day then got a eg hatch then got a ef 4 door then a DA teg and currently a eg 4 door and the ef hatch
Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 AM
BAZ
Honda-Tech Member

Holy ****, nice find! Keep that sucka clean
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (BAZ)

no pics in this thread make this useless
congratulations... good luck on your project

keep it safe!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (Fred n J's_1.8's)

Nice find, hard to find older honda's that have been well taken care of.

Now boost that ****
Old 03-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (quikB18B)

hey charlie thats great you finally found another car - and one in such great condition. i can't wait to see it. so what are your plans now? still going to convert to OBD1? i'm in the process as well....the rest of my parts just came today. let me know if you need help with any of it.

good to know you're excited about an EF again
Old 03-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad to see you came back to your roots...

I myself am the 2nd owner of my aunt's car that she bought new from the dealership. The stock clutch lasted until I learned on it (12 years) and since it was her first new car she took really good care of it.
I'd pic ***** the stock look, but I have no digi's of it.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (B16_madman)

Congrats charlie! Your the man for finding that car !!!!!!! You deserve it!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Darn it.... See my sig... I've been looking for one for the past 5 months. Want to sell it?
I'm local .. well sorta in WI Stevens Point, and about 5 hours away. I'll take it for $3,000 if it's truely that nice and if you have all the reciptes!

any one who has a clean ef hb or ex 4 door?
I envy you ..... can you help me find one too.... ?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (ApexiChild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApexiChild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I envy you ..... can you help me find one too.... ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can buy mine!!!!!

See Sig....
Old 03-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApexiChild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Darn it.... See my sig... I've been looking for one for the past 5 months. Want to sell it?
I'm local .. well sorta in WI Stevens Point, and about 5 hours away. I'll take it for $3,000 if it's truely that nice and if you have all the reciptes!

I envy you ..... can you help me find one too.... ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn bro.....
I feel you. I just got this baby and I don't want to let her go. But it's not everyday that you get to make a $1,200 transaction.. heheh.
Well i do apperciate the offer but I've already told my wife I'm keeping this one.

I'll help you find one or IM you if I do see a clean hb.

Old 03-09-2004, 05:55 AM

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal on a clean hatch! Now I'm just waiting to see pics! Oh, and welcome back to the EF/CRX portion of the site...

Alex
Old 03-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (Quik89Si)

NICE
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Making a COMBACK on my EF project .... (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey charlie thats great you finally found another car - and one in such great condition. i can't wait to see it. so what are your plans now? still going to convert to OBD1? i'm in the process as well....the rest of my parts just came today. let me know if you need help with any of it.

good to know you're excited about an EF again </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the support guys!
Kevin, yes I'll also be doing the obd1 conversion and using my p72
I'm buying blownhatches jumber harness. So far I already have me and my cousin buying it.
If you want to get in on it too all three of us could save about $15 each... let me know if you want. I'm placing my order by friday.

I love my new ef. Call me ASAP when your back in town and we'll go crusin just for fun heheh plus my car is red too. hehe
Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just let me know bro
Old 03-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm buying blownhatches jumber harness. So far I already have me and my cousin buying it.
If you want to get in on it too all three of us could save about $15 each... let me know if you want. I'm placing my order by friday.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll pretend i didnt hear about that nice deal since my harness came last week thanks for letting me know though.

yeah we'll cruise for sure when i'm back. i just dont feel right when i cruise with my bro's DC. its all about the EF's
Old 03-11-2004, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'll pretend i didnt hear about that nice deal since my harness came last week thanks for letting me know though.

yeah we'll cruise for sure when i'm back. i just dont feel right when i cruise with my bro's DC. its all about the EF's </TD></TR></TABLE>

Kev your funny bro. So who did you get your harness from?
So do you already know 100% what needs to be done witht the obd1 conversion? I did some light reading and I have the basic concept of it I'm sure I'll need your help with some of the small re-wiring.

For sure you better call me when your in town again. Hahah crusing with Scotts teg is different & I know what you mean. DUDe I'm going to try to tell my cousin Yee aka Boney Moua from Sheboygan, WI to come up. He has a 89 civic hb si with B16a1, old school hasport mounts, greddy 18g, 310cc, 10:1 votec FMU, walbro fuel pump and a ebay exhaust (2.25) with ACT HDSS, JE 9:1, GE rods, ... his car pulls nice after the lag of 4,500rpms. I have educated him to go with hondata vs getting a even larger turbo. I think he only makes about 170whp & 130tq at 7psi and 210whp & 155tq at 10psi....
I love curising with his ef just because I know that his car is nice and not to mention it's a fellow ef. One of my other little cousins has a 91 civic hb si with sohc vtec too... and I just found out that 2 guys up here in MN has hybrid ef hb si... danm EF guys are coming up.... nice to see more of them.

At time I feel like the only competion I care about is being the fastest EF HB.... don't care about crx or eg6, eg9, ek9, EM1 ect... My competion is againist my owners of the same chassie but at time I also feel that because we have the same cars we are united. hheeh

Charlie Neng Moua
Old 03-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i pretty much feel like i could wire up the OBD1 in my sleep now. just have to learn how to tune uberdata....oh well all i need is patience i guess. i got my harness from blownhatch.

i know what you mean by competition.....although from the setups you've mentioned i'm sure yours will be among the faster of them - i cant wait till yours is done

you'll be hearing from me the week of the 22nd when i'm home all week.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna see some pics

Quick Reply: Making a COMBACK on my EF project ....